Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Agent of Oblivion Metal Alphabet 'C' is for CELTIC FROST

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Early thrash and black metal pioneers from Switzerland. Their early career consists of a couple classics (in every metal sense of the word) in To Mega Therion, and Morbid Tales, which was handily re-released with the Emperor Returns EP in one nice tight package. Any metal listener knows a few Celtic Frost songs, as covers if nothing else. "Procreation of the Wicked" is probably one of the most exhaustively played songs of the genre.

Celtic Frost - Procreation of the Wicked

Love that riff. To Mega Therion is a more complete album than either previous release. Here are the highlighs:

Celtic Frost - The Usurper

One of my favorite metal songs ever. Great riff. Great attitude with the vocals. Everything about that songs kicks ass.

Celtic Frost - Circle of the Tyrants

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Really, that whole album is hot balls great. Any kind of metal collection should include it, as well as Into The Pandemonium, which is terribly overlooked. (aside from the "Mexican Radio" cover)

Celtic Frost - Inner Sanctum

Celtic Frost - Sorrows Of The Moon

Hell yes. Those are classic metal albums that, even though they were made twenty-five years ago (holy shit, really?) they don't sound dated at all. Still, with all this great material under their belt, things, as they often do in the world of heavy metal, went horribly horribly wrong.

The band split, and Thomas Gabriel Warrior threw together an ill-advised new lineup and new direction, that turned out to be the most infamous crime against heavy metal in the genre's history.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
CELTIC FROST - Cherry Orchards (promo video)

Where to begin with Cold Lake?

Taken completely out of context of the rest of their material, and in the context of the popular "metal" climate of the late 80s, it's really no worse than what Ratt and other sleazy hair bands were doing at the time. This was 1988, after all, and everyone dressed like fags and played gay shit like that.

The thing is, one can't take it out of context of their other material, that's why it got this reaction from metalheads the world over.

picard-facepalm.jpg

puke.jpg

walter.jpg

too_ashamed.jpg

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Fischer has since apologized profusely for unleashing Cold Lake on the world, and has fully admitted that it's the worst thing ever. While he can't be forgiven for something so heinous, we can move on and still enjoy the good things he has done. Kind of like a child molester getting out of jail and becoming a really good honest mechanic or something, maybe.

If they had done their next album, Vanity/Nemesis, instead of the Cold Lake incident, their track record would be nearly spotless. Sure, some of that glam image is here, but the music doesn't suffer for it by sounding like a really heavy band intentionally trying to sound commercial. It also features a cover of Bowie's "Heroes," which is pretty interesting.

Celtic Frost - Heroes

Celtic Frost - The Name Of My Bride

Celtic Frost - The Restless Seas

See, that's actually pretty good, and makes Cold Lake out to be even more of an atrocity. The band, either out of shame or exhaustion, said "Fuck it" and broke up for the next decade.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Sometime around 2001, after working on a much-needed and desired remastering and re-releasing of their early material, Fischer got an itch to write and put Frost back together for the doom-tinged Monotheist.

Celtic Frost- Progeny

Celtic Frost- Ain Elohim

It isn't half bad, but doesn't blow my mind or anything. After a nice supporting tour that succeeded in exposing the band to the internet generation by headlining Wacken and going all over the place with large crowds and some critical success, they toyed with a follow-up, but decided to end on a fairly high note, and officially buried the band last year. RIP Celtic Frost, Burn in Hell Cold Lake.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
ITP is my personal favorite CF album. I love the avant-garde nature and the uniqueness of the album... shame that they had to follow it up with one of metal's worst abominations. At least Tom was fairly quick to admit it was a mistake and make up for it though, unlike some other bands who switch to an awful mainstream sound and then remain adamant that this is the direction they're going to take, thoroughly abandoning their old work (fuckin' Anders Friden, I'm looking at you. You too, Alexi Laiho).

"Circle of the Tyrants" is such a great song that it's lended itself well to two cover versions (Obituary and Opeth) which are also work checking out.

Opening riff of "The Usurper" = pure win

I'm going to post my C band later, hopefully Gary doesn't toss it out there before I get to it

Slayer

Reaction score
also, any mention of Celtic Frost requires accompaniment by this song

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Great choice Agent.

Coroner deserve some love. They were a Thrash Band with Prog/Technical elements that tend to get ignored sometimes. If you ask me they are up there with guys like Watchtower and Voivod as far as Thrash/Prog Metal bands are concerned.

Examples

Tunnel of Pain (From "No More Color")

Divine Step (Conspectu Mortis) (from "Mental Vortex)

Caveat (To the Coming) (From "Grin")

Agent of Oblivion said:
Who else would you pick but Celtic Frost? Oh wait. I know.

Candlemass, right?
Fuck yes. Cathedral deserve some attention too.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Never a big CF fan. Respect them and their contributions, but could never really get into them.

*ahem*

Cannibal Corpse - "Devoured by Vermin"
An amazingly important band in the history of death metal, if only for being the most popular of the REAL death metal bands (read: Dethklok doesn't count), and also for influencing the genre as a whole with the release of Tomb of the Mutilated. A good amount of lineup changes resulted in only two original members remaining (bassist Alex Webster and drummer Paul Mazurkiewicz), although the lineup over the last 4 years has remained steady (with only Rob Barrett coming and going in the last 12). Best known for their violent lyrics that resulted in them banned from performing material off of their first two albums for YEARS in Europe and Australia, and also for vocalist George "Corpsegrinder" Fischer's stage presence. The music grew in technicality between 1994's The Bleeding (the final album with original vocalist Chris Barnes) and 2006's Kill, but has taken a slower pace with 2009's Evisceration Plague.
Rec'd Albums: Eaten Back to Life, Tomb of the Mutilated, The Bleeding, Vile, the Worm Infested EP, The Wretched Spawn, Kill.
Avoided Albums: Butchered at Birth, Gallery of Suicide, Gore Obsessed.

Cannabis Corpse - "Mummified in Bong Water"
A pot-based Cannibal Corpse "tribute" band formed by Municipal Waste bassist Phil "LandPhil" Hall, the band utilizes old-school death metal riffs and song structures, with all of their songtitles marijuana-based parodies of Cannibal Corpse songtitles, and the lyrics all regarding (what else?) cannabis.

Slayer

Reaction score
Agent of Oblivion said:
Who else would you pick but Celtic Frost? Oh wait. I know.

Candlemass, right?

No, actually

cinderellanight.jpg

Actually I do like these guys, along with a fair amount of the hair metal I listened to way back in elementary school (though I admit that just as much of it is almost unlistenable now), but I'm not going to try and sell you guys on them... although I'm sure Gary will enjoy that I implied he also liked them!

Re: Coroner, as Gary said, these guys tend to get overlooked, even by myself it would seem. I'll have to check out more of their stuff.

Re: Cannibal Corpse, Laz covered them pretty well, though he and I diverge on Gallery of Suicide, as that's my second favorite Fischer-era album.

Also of fun note is that (at least in the mid-90's) CC was one of Jim Carrey's favorite bands, to the point that he got them to make a cameo in Ace Ventura. Supposedly Chris Barnes was actually disgusted by the funky things Jim could do with his body, leading Jim to remark "All the things you sing about, and that disgusts you?" I am curious as to whether Carrey is still a big death metal fan or not though.

I've got to head out for a bit, but I'll post my real C contribution later today

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
That dude just doesn't have a voice for hair metal.

Slayer

Reaction score
Candlemass was formed in Sweden during the early 80's, centering around bassist Leif Edling, the band's one consistent member and main songwriter. While not the first notable doom metal band (aside the godfathers of doom themselves, of course), as Witchfinder General and Saint Vitus came before them, Candlemass was the first to incorporate a heavy epic feel in their work. With Johan Längqvist handling vocal duties, Candlemass released Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986) which is now considered a landmark album in the genre. IMO while it was a good album, to be sure, it paled in comparison to what would eventually come.

(Black Stone Wielder) - from EDM

Längqvist never intended to be the band's full-time vocalist and left after recording EDM. Edling put out an ad for a new singer and would receive a call from a 20 y/o classically trained tenor by the name of Eddie "Messiah" Marcolin. The story I've read is that Marcolin proceeded to belt out "Solitude" (from EDM) over the phone for Edling and was immediately offered the position. With Marcolin in place, Candlemass churned out three straight amazing albums in Nightfall (1987), Ancient Dreams (1988) and Tales of Creation (1989).

(The Well of Souls) - from Nightfall
(Mirror Mirror) - from AD
(Dark Reflections) - from ToC

Unfortunately, Messiah had developed the reputation of being a prima donna, which would lead to a falling out and his departure from the band. Edling would then recruit future-Therion vocalist Thomas Vikstrom to replace Messiah and release Chapter VI (1992). Vikstrom is a good vocalist, and the material wasn't that bad, but it was a big come-down from the three Messiah albums and was not warmly received.

(The Dying Illusion) - from C6 (warning: actual music video, featuring somewhat laughable imagery)

After C6, Edling disbanded Candlemass and formed another band called Abstrakt Algebra with another future-Therion vocalist Mats Leven, releasing a s/t in 1995. With AA not doing well, Edling took some of his AA-intended songs and instead released them under the Candlemass name with the album title Dactylis Glomerata (1998), and then released a more Black Sabbath rock-toned album called From the 13th Sun (1999). These two albums are quite a bit different from anything else released under the Candlemass name and so I tend to skip over them in my personal discography.

In 2004, Edling decided to make amends with Messiah and they reformed to go on a reunion tour. Reception from the reunion was so positive that they decided to make a return-to-form album, simply entitled Candlemass.

(Black Dwarf) - from s/t

Unfortunately after the tour for that album, Edling and Messiah had yet another falling out. Edling then went and pulled a major coup by picking up Solitude Aeturnus singer Robert Lowe. Using songs that were originally composed for Messiah, Edling recorded King of the Grey Islands (2007) with Lowe on vocals. Most recently, Edling and Lowe produced this year's Death Magic Doom, which will most likely be on my Top 10 at year's end.

(Emperor of the Void) - from KotGI
(Clouds of Dementia) - from DMD

Slayer

Reaction score
Also, for all the death metal aficionados we have on the board, how the hell has no one mentioned Cryptopsy yet?

I know The Unspoken King left an ungodly stain on the metal world (analogous to the aforementioned Cold Lake, credit to Agent), but they did produce the amazing None So Vile and Whisper Supremacy

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Wario Lemieux said:
Slayer said:
I know The Unspoken King left an ungodly stain on the metal world

This. Job for a Cryptopsy can eat a dick.
That fucker was my pick for worst album of 08, and for a really good reason. Seriously, what the fuck?

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wario Lemieux said:
Slayer said:
I know The Unspoken King left an ungodly stain on the metal world

This. Job for a Cryptopsy can eat a dick.

I think I should count myself lucky that I never heard this album so they're still good in my mind. If they make their next one any good, anyways.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
I wouldn't compare that album to Cold Lake unless I really really meant it. That's not an insult to be thrown around lightly. It's capital letters HORRIBLE.

What's worst of all is that they themselves are convinced it's worthwhile and that the fact that EVERYONE HATES IT is apparently because all of their (former) fans on the internet are tools living in their parents' basements. Newsflash: The internet is a crucial element in heavy metal now, and when no shit EVERYONE pans something, there's a reason for it. Cryptopsy has been in this business too long to disregard criticism on that level.

That said, they have a couple albums (Slayer named them) that are all-the-way metal classics.

Slayer

Reaction score
Oh yeah, falling back on the horribly trite "Internet complainers are losers living in their parents' basements" was even more unforgivable than producing the album itself

Golgo

Golgo
Reaction score
Hey, Cephalic Carnage. Grind, death, jazz, humor. Anomalies, Lucid Interval, Exploiting Dysfunction, Xenosapien, Conforming to Abnormality, best to worst, to my recollection, but none of them are bad. Find songs yourself, I'm lazy.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the lack of a Carcass mention. The band still remains the most vicious melodeath band I've ever heard (next to maybe old God Dethroned and Vehemence), and their early stuff (although I can't get into it a whole lot) is legendary in both the grind and death metal circles.

Slayer

Reaction score
After leaving Savatage, singer Zak Stevens formed a new band he called Circle II Circle. Most of their albums have ranged from decent to meh, but one that easily stands out was their 2006 release Burden of Truth. Power prog in the same vein of Savatage, if you enjoyed my posts about Evergrey and Fates Warning then you should definitely check this album out. This is the surprise showing on my Top 5 for this decade list, because this album just totally grabbed me the first time I listened to it and still gets me today... not a single bad song on this album IMO

(Matter of Time)
(Heal You)
(Revelations)
(Sentenced)