Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Agent of Oblivion Metal Alphabet: 'F' is for FANTOMAS

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Surprisingly difficult letter!

Fantomas is a (sort of) metal supergroup consisting of the inimitable Mike Patton and Trevor Dunn of Mr. Bungle, plus Slayer's Dave Lombardo, and Buzz Osbourne from The Melvins.

Patton has about 25 different projects going at a time, and this one is my favorite one that isn't called "Mr. Bungle." The vocals are treated as another instrument rather than as "words over music."

They're a little tough to get into, but they have a neat sense of humor, and the concepts on which the albums are oriented are very strong. Their live material is more impressive than their albums, I think, and they do a lot of covers, well.

Here's a Slayer medley:
Fantomas - Slayer Medley (better-sound-version)

Their first album didn't have any song titles, and was just a bunch of freakouts enumerated in pages. This is the one to start with.
Here's a good sample:
Fantomas Live Pages: 6, 8, 9, 10 & 12

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Director's Cut is an entertaining diversion, but lacks in substance. I don't really care for soundtrack-oriented stuff, though. Gary Floyd's probably nuts about this one.

Fantômas - Twin peaks fire walk with me
Fantomas - Experiment in terror

I don't like Delirium Cordia that much, really. It's too damn long, and tries(fails) to be anything but creepy atmosphere that doesn't hold my interest, and I'm pretty accepting of ambient music. If you're into that sort of thing, maybe give it a go.

Fantomas - Delirium Cordia

Suspended Animation is my favorite! After all the heavy dark shit they did, they cracked out some really fun playful sounds like cartoons and video games and toys. It's playful and childlike, but still heavy.

Fantomas - Suspended Animation 11/4/2005
04/08/05 Friday - FANTÔMAS
Fantomas 4/5/05 Tuesday video
Fantomas - 04/03/05 sunday - tweed day and dont go to work

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
I was a big fan of Suspended Animation, but I prefer the self titled album.

And how can anyone not love Millennium Masterworks?

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Agent of Oblivion said:
Director's Cut is an entertaining diversion, but lacks in substance. I don't really care for soundtrack-oriented stuff, though. Gary Floyd's probably nuts about this one.
You are correct sir.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
I'd never even heard of Fantomas before this thread, and listening to the samples above I'm going to continue not hearing of Fantomas. Also, for as much love as I see Mike Patton get, I've just never gotten into him or any of his projects at all.

As for my own work, I'm gonna take it fairly easy from about here to K, due to combination of busy studying for professional exam and lack of bands over the next few letters for which I really feel like writing in-depth articles.

For F the only metal band I even have in my collection is Fates Warning. Cited as one of the original prog metal bands (yes, there were prog-metal bands before Dream Theater) along with Queensryche and Savatage, they took the non-standard time signatures/song structures and instrumentalization of prog rock and combined it with a metal sound. Also, like many prog-rock bands, eschewing conventional metal lyrics of partying or mystical demons, mainman Jim Matheos tended to write lyrics that focused more on philisophical issues and introspection. Jim also wrote a couple songs knocking the music industry ("Valley of the Dolls" for poser fans and "Static Acts" for studios carbon copying one popular style)

Recommend: Parallels (a Drew Top 10 favorite metal album, albeit moreso for the personal connection than actual music quality), Perfect Symmetry, No Exit, Disconnected

(If you do know about FW, you'll notice I avoided the John Arch albums. I'm not a fan of that era)

Avoid: Inside Out, FWX

("Silent Cries") - from No Exit (1988) (actual)
("Anarchy Divine") - ibid (actual)

("Part of the Machine) - from Perfect Symmetry (1989)
("Through Different Eyes") - ibid (actual)

%@#$!@#$! YOUTUBE DOESN'T HAVE MY FAVORITE FW SONG?! Wtf! There's a so-so live version on there, but I'm not posting that one

("Eye to Eye") - from Parallels (1991) (actual)
("Don't Follow Me) - ibid

("One") - from Disconnected (2000)