Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Agent of Oblivion Metal Alphabet: 'G' is for GORGUTS

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
I'm not going to break this band down into bits and pieces, because then I wouldn't be able to focus as much on the one reason why they earn this letter:

Obscura.

Obscura is, quite simply, the most fucked up metal album ever written. Ever. I've never heard one more fucked up, and I've tried hard to find anything else like it. Doesn't exist. LOTS of people have tried copying this sort of thing, to complete failure. I can't even really describe it. It's the most atonal, psychotic, directionless, skronkingest, lunatic thing. Despite this, it is wholly cohesive, and it makes complete sense in spite of itself. Obscura is a paradox. Obscura is the nexus of the universe. A puzzling, mindraping, exhausting album that is the textbook definition of "essential metal listening." Highest possible recommendation.

Here's how it starts:

Obscura

Gorguts - Earthly Love
Gorguts - Nostalgia
Sweet Silence
Gorguts - The Art Of Sombre Ecstasy

I mean, there's some of it. This bitch is over an hour long, too, and does not let up ever.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I liked that one guitar line in the first Gorguts track.

Speaking of fucked up, don't let me down on L.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've always preferred The Erosion of Sanity to Obscura. Both are very good though.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Great pick, Agent

I've got two G bands

Original Helloween guitarist Kai Hansen left that band after the classic Keeper albums due to burnout from extensive touring, preferring to be a largely studio musician with mild touring. He teamed up with singer Ralf Scheepers to form Gamma Ray. They released three albums with Scheepers before he left to audition for the open Judas Priest slot that of course eventually went to Tim "You want me to call him what?!" Owens (Scheepers would then go on to form the fairly good Primal Fear afterwards). Hansen then took over the vocalist position which he holds to this day.

Recommend: Power Plant (a Drew Top-10 power metal album), Insanity and Genius, Land of the Free, Somewhere Out in Space

("Razorblade Sigh") - from PP (1999)
("Send Me a Sign") - ibid

("Last Before the Storm") - from IaG (1993)

("Rebellion in Dreamland") - from LOTF (1995)
("Land of the Free") - ibid

("Somewhere Out in Space) - from SOIS (1997)

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Second G band is Dutch death metal band God Dethroned. Somehow I've managed to avoid this band over this decade, possibly because I got them confused with other not-as-good bands named God-something-or-other. I have the same issue with the twenty different bands named Dragon-blank (speaking of which, someone missed Dragonforce in the D thread!)

Anyways, God Dethroned.

After reading a review of their recent release Passiondale, I picked it up and really enjoyed it. It's a concept album about the battle of Paschendale from WW1. Most of the album is fairly straightforward death metal with occasional melodeath touches, and even some Opeth-ian moments mixed in. Very likely to be on my Top 10 list for this year.

("Under a Darkening Sky")
("Poison Fog")

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Band: Gwar
Style: Thrash Metal, Punk Rock, Ska, Jazz, Traditional Heavy Metal
Years Active: 1985-present
Area of Origin: Richmond, VA

Gwar is a band that needs little introduction. Which is good, because their history is a long, albeit interesting, one. The history of the band itself is as follows: eons ago, The Master, fed up with Gwar's antics, found this shithole planet Earth, and banished the band to it. After accidentally raping a monkey, Oderus inadvertantly created the human race. The Master was furious! He froze Gwar in the ice of Antarctica, where they remained until the mid-1980's thanks to Global Warming brought upon by the overuse of hairspray from Glam Rockers. Since being unthawed, Gwar has massacred people the world over, smoked more crack than possibly could be counted, and brought forth death, decay, and debauchery the likes of which Earth never wished to see.
And, for the reeeeaaaaalll history, you can click this link right here, since it's pretty damn crazy with lineup changes every few years, the only constant being founding member Dave "Oderus Urungus" Brockie.

Recommended Albums: Scumdogs of the Universe, America Must Be Destroyed, This Toilet Earth, Violence Has Arrived, War Party, Beyond Hell, Lust in Space
Avoided Albums: Ragnarok, Carnival of Chaos, We Kill Everything
(basically, the mid-to-late 90's was awful for Gwar; these albums have their bright spots, but overall are just dreck)

Pure as the Arctic Snow
Sick of You
The Salamanizer
Crack in the Egg
Gor Gor
Saddam A-Go-Go
Meat Sandwich
Penguin Attack
Fucking An Animal
Immortal Corrupter
Bring Back the Bomb
Eighth Lock
Let Us Slay

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I love Obscura and all, but Considered Dead is my favorite Gorguts album.