Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Attitude Era Thread Vol 1

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Henry probably would have reached the top sooner if he wasn't so injury prone. It felt like every time they were building him up or about to pull the trigger on him prior to 2011, he got hurt.

With JBL, they needed to give him a personality that people really connected with. Who is going to cheer a badass Texan when they already have Austin? Him becoming a Corporate shill dipshit is what resonated with people especially in that time.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
My vague idea is just some TV feud with the NWA and DX, basically a super condensed and role reversed SEX storyline. Give my man Severn something to do like making a pretzel out of X-Pac.

I really dug Bradshaw in those days just because he was a big guy who hit people really hard. Hindsight as it is, and this is a hot take, but JBL in 1998 would've ruled as a Corporation guy.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The Invasion had phenomenal shows despite booking. Whatever the product is now is people literally forgetting the next day what happened.

Maybe if he had an egg like that he'd get back into making videos.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ya know there were blip in '02 and even '03 where it felt like WWFE was as strong as ever but in retrospect, it was kind of like how WrestleMania VI and VIII were for the golden era. Brief glimmers of hope during a sharp decline.

One of the reasons I like Team Austin Vs Team Bischoff at Survivor Series '03 so much is it really does seem like the series finale for the Attitude Era.

Last edited:

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I agree that there were still times when the booking/matches were in sync during the period you mentioned. summerslam 2003 is a great example and one of the best summer slam events ever imo

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Angle/Lesnar is really good but HHH in his Capri pants beating Goldberg made for a flat ending. However, the last time I watched the show was pre-Network on a DVD rip I got from XWT. On this file the Elimination Chamber main event was followed by the video for St. Anger! Made for a much better conclusion imo.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I prefer the Attitude-fied Summerslam '98 to '02. The latter had better matches but the atmosphere of of the former along with the ladder match do it for me.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I meant 2003 but looking over the card it’s not as good as I remembered.

The GOAT summerslam in terms of booking is 1991 imo, and the match quality is pretty good too.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
All these posts about age fail to mention that medicine and steroids tbh are a lot different now. Being 42 in 1998 is way different than being 42 in 2021, as Glover Teixiera can attest to.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
m6tkr65oix881.jpg

Hell in a Cell against The Big Show!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Do the InVasion era guys count as Attitude Era dudes? I know Ruthless Aggression didn’t technically start until 2002 but it feels weird pegging the WCW expats as Attitude Era guys.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Do the InVasion era guys count as Attitude Era dudes? I know Ruthless Aggression didn’t technically start until 2002 but it feels weird pegging the WCW expats as Attitude Era guys.
The general term "Attitude era" often encompasses WCW stars during the post-nWo days. It's just a kind of catch-all term for those 1997-2002 years of peak viewership.