Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Bear

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been going through the first two seasons in prep for Season 3 that starts June 27. Season 1 is nearly perfect imo. I loved the grittiness and intensity and how many Chicago and Illinois references they throw in obviously. The soundtrack is phenomenal. I knew the show was for me when they started with "New Noise" and then played "Animal" by Pearl Jam at the end of the episode. I think my favorite character is Richie, but Carmie is the best and most dynamic character. I like seeing Abby Elliott get a meaty role because I always thought she was very underused on SNL.

And, now for the statement that's been made 1 million times. It's definitely not a comedy. I've had moments where I laugh and Richie can be hilarious, but overall it's like 25 to 30% comedy. Sopranos and Breaking Bad had more comedy throughout the show than The Bear. Hell, Pine Barrens as an episode is funnier than the entire series of The Bear.

I'm five episodes into Season 2 and I'm let down so far sadly. I did enjoy them giving Marcus a nice little showcase episode, but the addition of the Claire love interest character for Carmie is so dull and drags things down. This show really didn't need a romance subplot and I'd rather see more of the Tina character or Ebrahim or some of the side characters than Claire. From what I've read, the quality really picks up on episode 6 and carries into the rest of the season, so I'm excited for that. But, the first five episodes just seem lacking compared to season 1. I'm sure the remaining five episodes will make me eat crow and I'll be praising the show by the end again.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Really good show and am glad it showed the world what Jeremy Allen White can do outside of Shameless. There's a lot of great featured guest stars in season 2 and love episode where Richie learns back of house.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah episode 6 was fantastic and all the guest performances were terrific. I think they were influenced by the movies Krisha and Shiva Baby. Especially Krisha, since Jamie Lee's hairstyle and performance were similar to the Krisha character and it's a disastrous Christmas dinner rather than a disastrous Thanksgiving dinner. Bob Odenkirk with a full head of white hair looks like Joe Biden lol. Might be some of the best work I've seen from Jamie Lee Curtis as well. I thought she was overrated in Everyone Everywhere, but she deserves all the acclaim for this.

Also, Oliver Platt is also doing some great work on this show.

Last edited:

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I agree with your take about the comedy part but my brother, I have never probably laughed harder at the kids birthday party.

“I thought you killed yourself”
“No sir, that was my brother”

And yeah as every one knows, the fishes episode is iconic but personally Richie discovering himself in the training school and finding his bliss and peace in a Taylor Swift soundtracked night drive is about the most relatable fucking adult shit ever.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You can keep your Taylor Swift singalongs, but Oliver Platt delivering a passioned defense of Steve Bartman and blaming Alex Gonzalez for the fuckup in Ep 9 of Season 2 hit my soul.

Final ratings for me

Season 1 - 9/10

Season 2 - 8/10 although I could bump it to 8.5/10 with time. (Bigger highs as Fishes is the best episode of the series. And Forks, while a tad over hyped, is still a fantastic episode and Richie killed it. A friend said it's one of the best tv episodes ever and I read some similar comments online and it didn't get there. But, Fishes did for me. That's their version of Whitecaps from The Sopranos. The Titular season finale also called "The Bear" is another amazing episode. The consistency wasn't there as much as Season 1, I thought a couple episodes felt more like filler while there was no fat in Season 1 imo. I felt like they toned down the intensity and grittiness slightly, but episodes like "The Bear" and "Fishes had a ton of that. And I read a lot of complaints about the yelling in every episode, but I loved it and it really amped me up in Season 1. Maybe it's because I spent years watching nothing but Curb and Sunny dvd's in the early 2010's, but yelling in shows doesn't bother me one bit.

The Claire character made Carmie less interesting. Some stuff was on the nose and distracted me like undercutting the effective scene where Carmie is focused on the cannolis at Christmas by explaining it a few episodes later. Sydney was still great, but didn't feel as awesome as Season 1 and that episode where there's a bunch of her going to restaurants dragged. Richie shined and has come so far, Natalie got a lot of depth, and Marcus did great as well. I want more Tina next season. I'm still getting used to Neil Fak and that voice is uh something, but he's growing on me. He's sweet and cares for his buds.)

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Over half way through Season 3 and while it is filmed great and is exceptionally acted, the show is starting to feel hollow, empty, overly showy, and pretentious. The Richie vs Carmie and Carmie vs Syd stuff is dragging for me, and it feels like the most aimless season of tv I've watched since Mr. Robot seasons 2 and 3, except without the weirdness that kept me interested in that show. Hopefully, the second half picks up, but so far I agree with the criticism about the season. So, far it feels like they are just trying to take what people loved about Forks and Fishes with another Taylor Swift singalong, more and more Fak to the point where you are annoyed with Matty Matheson and his grating voice, montages galore, artsy food shots, and an abundance of celeb cameos, and apply it to the whole season. I loved the grittiness and tense pacing of Season 1 more than the extravagance of Season 2, and was hoping for a return to that.

I still have high hopes for the rest of the season and Season 4, but so far I'm really disappointed. I'm really not liking what they are doing with Carmie's character, but maybe it's setting up for a Season 4 redemption. The season so far feels like filler and build up to 4 which I assume is going to be the last season. If not 4, maybe a 5. I can't see this show going 8-12 seasons like the Showtime shows.

Reaction score
Over half way through Season 3 and while it is filmed great and is exceptionally acted, the show is starting to feel hollow, empty, overly showy, and pretentious. The Richie vs Carmie and Carmie vs Syd stuff is dragging for me, and it feels like the most aimless season of tv I've watched since Mr. Robot seasons 2 and 3, except without the weirdness that kept me interested in that show. Hopefully, the second half picks up, but so far I agree with the criticism about the season. So, far it feels like they are just trying to take what people loved about Forks and Fishes with another Taylor Swift singalong, more and more Fak to the point where you are annoyed with Matty Matheson and his grating voice, montages galore, artsy food shots, and an abundance of celeb cameos, and apply it to the whole season. I loved the grittiness and tense pacing of Season 1 more than the extravagance of Season 2, and was hoping for a return to that.

I still have high hopes for the rest of the season and Season 4, but so far I'm really disappointed. I'm really not liking what they are doing with Carmie's character, but maybe it's setting up for a Season 4 redemption. The season so far feels like filler and build up to 4 which I assume is going to be the last season. If not 4, maybe a 5. I can't see this show going 8-12 seasons like the Showtime shows.

I think you’ll enjoy episode 6.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Watched the first two episodes of season 3 and I liked it but...nothing is happening. The cast is excellent but they're stalling and not progressing the story. I'm sure that'll be fixed once it gets further in.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
John Cena as a Fak brother is a jump the shark moment. I think Cena is a very funny and entertaining actor, but he wasn't needed here and the long bit with the haunting was brutal to get through. Hell, it feels like there's as much Neil Fak as Richie and has more screen time than Sydney. That's a huge problem with the season. Fun character in really small doses, then he gets popular and they give him a ton of screen time and it gets grating. Similar to Kevin on The Office. Next season more Jimmy Cicero/Marcus and less Neil Fak and his annoying family.

Episode 6 was a great episode and was worth getting through the first five meh episodes to see. I like Tina and it was nice to see her get that showcase episode. Ayo's directing was great and it had a gritty feel that I was missing. Also, glad to see Angel Bautista from Dexter pop up.

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Episode 8 is the best one of the season and is on par with the first two seasons. Abby Elliott will probably get nominated and should be a favorite to win. She's been a revelation, and proves my theory that every comedian except Chevy Chase is a great dramatic actor. Jamie Lee Curtis continues to rule as this character. I see some on reddit saying she's too hysterical and over the top, but trust me she's doing a great job portraying a realistic manic depressive.

Also, the Hee Hee Hee breathing noise made me think Tugboat should sue Christopher Storer, and get his compensation for them taking his catchphrase.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I did read that they had limited schedules for some of the actors, which is probably what lead to Fak-A Mania in Season 3. So, that's probably why Neil Fak has more lines than Syd or Richie, or appears in scenes that Carmie should be in. Well that, and the executive producer title Matty Matheson has. It didn't make sense for them to be the only ones that showed up after Sugar had her baby. Also, it felt like they overcompensated on the complaints about it not being funny, by having The Faks do vaudeville bits each week, and it just didn't work. Richie has always been a funnier character than any of The Faks. Cicero cracks me up more than Neil or his brother as well. I'd much rather have a overly serious show that "is not funny" than them trying to cram in outrageous bits like the lame haunting.

I finished it up. I really loved two of the episodes (The Tina and Sugar/Donna episodes) and the first episode was interesting. Rest of the season felt flat, and they didn't have much interesting material for Sydney or Richie, and Carmie was doing the same shit every episode. I'm sure JAW, Ayo, and Ebon will be nominated for this season, but honestly I felt like the limited schedules prevented them from being as good as the previous seasons. I'd nominate Abby Elliott, Jamie Lee Curtis, Liza Colon-Zayas and Jon Bernthal over them for Season 3. Marcus was also dreadfully underutilized after his nice episode last season.

For the series I'd go:

Season 1 - 9/10
Season 2 - 8.5/10 (Not as consistent as one, but higher highs)
Season 3 - 6/10 (TOO MANY FAKS)

I'm still optimistic about Season 4 and I think they can clean up the mess and put on another great season. Just actually resolve the storylines you set up in Season 2 this time, and dial back Matty Matheson's screen time back to Season 1 level.

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow, this show has been everywhere for the last two years. I couldn't go on an entertainment site without seeing Jeremy Allen White looking at me and commercials really ramped up with season 2 and 3. I feel like it's one of the most popular and quoted recent shows.

The Bear from 89 is a great movie though.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I usually can't stand him, but he felt right as a ruthless prick bastard chef to me. I couldn't buy him as a ladies man on Community because of The Soup though.