Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Best of Standup Comedy?

Reaction score
Posted by: dx1997 April 01, 2009 07:22 pm
I know it pretty much starts with Eddie Murphy and his old stuff such as Raw and for more recent fans, Dave Chappelle and Russell Peters.

With that said, is there anyone else worth checking out? Either old or new? I feel like there are more stand up acts out there, but who is worth finding?

Posted by: The Buzz April 01, 2009 07:30 pm
George Carlin
Mitch Hedberg
Bruce Bruce can be funny but is kind of hit or miss
Martin Lawrence and DL Hughley(sp?) both have some good sets out there

I'm drawing a blank for some reason, but hope I helped somewhat.

Posted by: KanadianKrusty April 01, 2009 07:37 pm
Lewis Black is fantastic in small doses. Other than that, Louis C.K and Patton Oswalt are stellar. Henry Rollins is awesome and can sorta-kinda be considered a stand-up too I guess, especially the more recent stuff.

Posted by: dx1997 April 01, 2009 07:42 pm
Nice, thanks for the help. Any others out there with recommendations would be appreciated too.

Surprised I forgot about Carlin and Lawrence.
Posted by: The Buzz April 01, 2009 07:49 pm
He's not for everyone, but Jeff Dunham can be funny at times.
Posted by: still fly April 01, 2009 07:53 pm
Early 90s Def Comedy Jam ftw.

Posted by: Jingus April 01, 2009 07:56 pm
What the motherfuck is wrong with you people for not mentioning Richard Pryor already.

Posted by: The Buzz April 01, 2009 07:58 pm
I've enjoyed some Bill Cosby, Rodney Dangerfield, and Sam Kinnison(sp) for those who like older comedy.

Posted by: Charlie April 01, 2009 08:31 pm
QUOTE (Jingus @ April 01, 2009 03:56 pm)
What the motherfuck is wrong with you people for not mentioning Richard Pryor already.

Pryor's earlier stuff isn't as good as his later work, IMO.

Posted by: Jebus April 01, 2009 08:33 pm
For newer stuff, I'm a big fan of Jim Gaffigan, Zach Galifianakis & Jon Dore.

Posted by: foleyfanforever88 April 01, 2009 08:49 pm
NOT Dane Cook.

Posted by: WCS April 02, 2009 12:28 am
Bill Hicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

Posted by: sbofn April 02, 2009 01:22 am
Larry Miller. Probably more recognizable as an actor, but his stand-up is hilarious.

Note to self: Learn how to embed videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj3s5A8gk4s

Posted by: wnyxmcneal April 02, 2009 01:25 am
Norm Macdonald is hilarious. His standup shows are a mix of classic Norm bits and new stuff that's just as funny.

I'm hoping to see him a few times as he's playing NY

Posted by: Sesquipedaliantique April 02, 2009 01:44 am
Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr are both utterly genius. Both of their routines involve mocking various members of the audience, which is really quite impressive when you consider a lot of it must be improvised.

Posted by: Hawkius Maximus April 02, 2009 04:16 am
I quite enjoy Russell Brand. The key to him, is you have to understand that he seemingly has no boundaries whatsoever in his act. He'll talk about anything that he feels like. One of his closing bits is about having a three way with a guy and girl, and accidentally getting sperm on the other guy. Wacky hijinx ensued

In the first special I saw (and better then his Comedy Central one), a woman randomly screams out if she can have his autograph. He immediately answers yes, as long as she means autograph in the sense of needless sex, and if so, then he'll gladly print his name in her womb. He's now turned that into a regular bit, but at that special it was improved.

Outside of that, "Best Standup Comedy" begins with George Carlin and ends with George Carlin. In my opinion no one comes close to Carlin's wit, storytelling abilities, and humor.

Posted by: special k April 02, 2009 10:07 am
I know it pretty much starts with Eddie Murphy

Do you mean chronologically? Highly incorrect. It is good stuff though.

I really enjoy David Cross.

Is it not cool to like Chris Rock anymore? His stand-up is way better than Chapelle's, IMHO. Katt Williams is really funny, though he can probably bug the shit out of some people.

Posted by: TheDevilAndGodAreRagingInsideMe April 02, 2009 10:55 am
Jim Gaffigan is awesome. "Beyond the Pale" is hilarious and his new Comedy Central special "King Baby" was really great too. I was laughing out loud at it and I was watching it alone.

Craig Ferguson had a great CC special last weekend as well. Check it out if any of these are on again.

I think Mitch Hedberg is the king, though.

Posted by: The Buzz April 02, 2009 12:18 pm
On that note, Craig's late night show usually provides the laughs.

Posted by: Lord of The Curry April 02, 2009 12:24 pm
QUOTE (special k @ April 02, 2009 06:07 am)
I know it pretty much starts with Eddie Murphy

Do you mean chronologically? Highly incorrect. It is good stuff though.

I really enjoy David Cross.

Is it not cool to like Chris Rock anymore? His stand-up is way better than Chapelle's, IMHO. Katt Williams is really funny, though he can probably bug the shit out of some people.

I was gonna rep David Cross too.

"People always talk about how hard it is to raise kids. 'Oh, David it's so hard. Gosh, I love her so much but it's hard to raise kids.' Come on man, that's not hard. You know what hard is? Try talking your girlfriend into her third consecutive abortion. Yeah. That's hard. That takes finesse. You're just inconvenienced."

Posted by: starvenger April 02, 2009 01:20 pm
I like Russell Peters, but I will concede that his Asian-centric act is not for everyone.

Posted by: themax April 02, 2009 03:38 pm
Brian Regan is one of the best clean comedians out there.

Louis CK is great and one of the most honest guys I've ever heard.

Posted by: Lord of The Curry April 02, 2009 03:39 pm
QUOTE (starvenger @ April 02, 2009 09:20 am)
I like Russell Peters, but I will concede that his Asian-centric act is not for everyone.

I'm surprised he's managed to coast this far along making literally the same joke.

Posted by: starvenger April 02, 2009 05:01 pm
I'm pretty sure that most comedians do that (do basically the same joke). It's all about how you sell it. For certain he's not the only one to have used the "beat by my parents" routine, but you remember "Somebody gonna get hurt real bad", y'know?

That aside, there's a crapload of "the difference between us and you" jokes you can do when there aren't many Asian comedians. Dat Phan doesn't count, because he's not funny.

Posted by: JHawk April 02, 2009 05:05 pm
QUOTE (starvenger @ April 02, 2009 05:01 pm)
Dat Phan doesn't count, because he's not funny.

Your mom talks funny, we get it.

How the fuck did he win Last Comic Standing?

Posted by: starvenger April 03, 2009 08:37 am
My guess is pity, because there's no way he's funnier than Rich Vos or Ralphie May.

Posted by: treble April 03, 2009 10:04 am
I just watched 'A Wee Bit O'Revolution', and it was ok, but I think I like Ferguson's monologues on his show better.

Other guys that I like:
-Jim Norton
-Jim Gaffigan (I didn't like King Baby as much as Beyond the Pale, though, but it was still good)
-Louis CK
-Ricky Gervais (Out Of England is great. The whole AIDS bit is hilarious)
-Mike Birbiglia

Posted by: special k April 03, 2009 11:31 am
Oh! I can't believe this thread has gone this long without mention of Eddie Izzard.
Posted by: CookieMueller April 03, 2009 02:03 pm
I like Sarah Silverman, especially Jesus Is Magic, but I know a lot of people hate her. I also like Kathy Griffin, but I can't imagine a heterosexual man that would really love her.

Eddie Izzard is great. His HBO specials are all quality.
Cedric the Entertainer is my favourite from Kings of Comedy.
Nick Swardson is one of the few newer comedians I find funny.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Jimmy Carr has become one of my favorites. I remember being there for one night at the Laugh Factory when they had Chappelle in and he was trying a bit of Jimmy's kind of material by just pulling up a seat and picking out some people from the crowd and engaging in some hilarious banter with them. Most people didn't get it, but I thought he was incredible that night trying something new.

And there's nothing funnier than Eddie Griffin's story about living only a few blocks away from an insane asylum and breaking out the cute crazy chicks when he was 14 and fucking them in his mother's basement. That shit always leaves me in stitches.

Bill Hicks, think most people know about my love for the guy, so I don't need to go into much more. Just found my copy of Sane Man and I'm gonna have to light up one and enjoy it in a bit.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Your Favorite Weapon said:
Dat Phan is fucking awful.

I saw him live when he came to my school and he was much better than I expected.
True, but when you go in expecting crap...

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Your Favorite Weapon said:
Dat Phan is fucking awful.

I saw him live when he came to my school and he was much better than I expected.

He actually thought he was going to see Dat Nguyen

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saw Jim Gaffigan and Billy Gardell last night. Gaffigan was hilarious and I was really impressed with Gardell. Funny than I expected (which I know is a strange comment since he is a comedian).

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
The Cos is back! Bill Cosby's first television concert special in 30 years, Far From Finished, will air on Comedy Central on Sunday, November 24, 2013. Robert Townsend directed the show, which will be compiled from material that Cosby performed at the Cerritos Performing Arts Center earlier this summer in California. Of course, Bill Cosby Himself aired three decades ago and is considered one of the landmark comedy specials of all time. The Cosby Show was in part an evolution of the "Himself" routines. Commenting on his return to the form, Cosby said, "Because . . . funny is funny."

One of America's most beloved comedians of all time, Cosby has captivated generations of fans with his comedy routines, iconic albums and best-selling books such as "Fatherhood." His comedy transcends ages, genders and cultures. Cosby went around television's racial obstacles with "I Spy," becoming the first African American to costar on a weekly, dramatic television series while winning three consecutive Emmys(R). Cosby created and produced the Emmy Award(R)-winning cartoon series Fat Albert and The Cosby Kids, which began airing in the 1970s and was made into a film in 2004. The show, based on Cosby's childhood in Philadelphia, was designed to educate and entertain. Perhaps Cosby's greatest contribution to American entertainment and culture is The Cosby Show, about a close-knit, upper middle income Black family. Cosby has received the Kennedy Center Honors, the Presidential Medal of Freedom (America's highest civilian honor), the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor and the Marian Anderson Award.

Read more: http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2013/07/bill-cosby-returns-with-comedy-central.html#ixzz2ZSFhaxTT

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cos with a Comedy Central special! I'm surprised he agreed to this due to the content on the station but it sounds awesome

re. Billy Gardell. I think he stands out because his act is relatively clean. Well squeaky clean by today's standards. He reminds of the "working man's" comic that was popular in the late 80/early 90s

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chappelle's comeback is already en route to being a fucking disaster.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/85737/dave-chappelle-heckled-in-hartford-maybe-stop-doing-that-jerks

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Fans were being assholes to him well before his "mental breakdown" I remember he walked off the stage here in Sacramento because assholes in the crowd wouldn't stop yelling out quotes from his TV show. It was an embarrasment.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Another look at it.

http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/dave-chappelle-didnt-meltdown-405#axzz2dUPpCUt8

I hope he's not done, but he'll probably end up being happier in the long run if he does, in fact, quit.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind him doing shows where he just sits around, tells stories and BS. But it should be for smaller crowds, not a large tour with Flight of the Choncords.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chappelle's set in Pittsburgh last night went very well. I was kind of afraid that some idiot(s) would have seen all of those articles and intentionally just started yelling out quotes from the show to try to become the next story, but there really wasn't anything. Everyone just let him do his thing.

Robert

Robert
Reaction score
Speaking of Jim Jeffries, is Legit any good? I missed the first season and it'll probably end on Netflix, so I want to give it a watch.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rob Schneider and Bobcat Golthwait both have stand up acts on Netflix. I watched both on the treadmill recently. Good stuff.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Iliza Shlesinger (she won Last Comic Standing and is a hottie) has a new stand up on Netflix called War Paint. I'm not a fan of most women comedians, but while she gets annoying, a lot of it is good.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dave I don't think expected to become a pop culture moment in history and it messed with him. I can get him though, I wouldn't want to be reminded of a job I quit because of shit that got to me. Man needs time to get back into a groove and I think he will.

Least he isn't into Mitch Hedberg levels of crash and burn, then I'd get worried.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Robert said:
Speaking of Jim Jeffries, is Legit any good? I missed the first season and it'll probably end on Netflix, so I want to give it a watch.

It's worth watching, but not great. It has some heart. Many of the episodes are written based on some of his more famous stand up bits.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Yeah I think the problem is Chapelle got so big from the TV show that a lot of the crowds going to these arena shows barely known him from anything other then that, so they think it's "TV Funny man doing stand up"

Also, handling a heckler in a small-ish club is one thing, because usually it is that one person alone and you can pretty much crush them or have security throw them out. In an arena enviornment that is pretty much impossible because of the sheer number of idiots shouting out stuff, plus most people are seated so far away they have the aura of invincibility and anonymity. They don't feel any consequences for shouting out stupid things.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They probably know him from Half Baked.

or possibly as Tom Hanks best friend in You've Got Mail.

Reaction score
What bothers me the most about the incident is people trying to spin it as a race thing. What does this have to do with race? It was just some drunken assholes who couldn't get over a show from ten years ago not letting Dave do his thing. This wasn't a white against black thing, it was a douche bag thing.