Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Best of Standup Comedy?

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Robert Kelly is more hilarious when he's ranting about stuff with Jim Norton than he is doing stand up. He's not great, but he's got enough to it to keep you entertained.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/curious-decline-of-paul-mooney.html?mid=fb-share-vulture
This article about mental decline of Paul Mooney is depressing. Glad I saw him (and fistbumped him) when I did five or six years ago at Caroline's in Times Square. Even then he was kind of rambling (and walked half of the audience) but he was still relatively cognizant.

Of course, I read a response article that said the article was racist and said "Nobody ever said Carlin was declining when he got old and rambly". I thought most comedy geeks I knew said that about Carlin in the '00s. Maybe New York Magazine didn't write about it but I don't think hardly anybody liked "Life is Worth Losing" at the time!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/steve-martin-performed-stand-up-last-night.html
Steve Martin did stand up for the first time in 35 years last night, doing a surprise set opening for Jerry Seinfeld in NYC.

Can't say I expected this. Hopefully, it's not a one off.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm surprised this isn't making the rounds more but Amy Schumer is the latest comedian accused of cribbing. I won't fault the skits on her show because they probably share a lot of the same writers from other/past shows. The Patrice O'Neal thing isn't really stealing since the Abe Lincoln is something most raunchy comedians would poke fun at, and Marc Maron already disputed him and Amy having similar jokes on his podcast. The rest of the stuff might have a case though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv0eWN8v_tg

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Going to see Kyle Kinane two weeks from Sunday. They just announced Brooks Wheelan at same venue in May. Ticket is cheap enough that I might go even though I thought his Comedy Central Half Hour was just so so.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Patton Oswalt's wife, Michelle McNamara, who was a true crime writer died in her sleep on Thursday. She was only 46.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/michelle-mcnamara-crime-writer-married-comedian-patton-oswalt-dies-46-n560836

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Got tickets to see Marc Maron on the 9th. I'd feel terrible if I didn't.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Saw him last summer in Brooklyn. He was pretty good. More interactive than I was expecting.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Good to know. I got good seats.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Got tickets to see John Mulaney at local theater in May.

Was stunned that show sold out first day onsale. No idea he was that popular.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
He's got a Netflix special and I recognize his name despite knowing little about modern-day comics, so I'd guess he's p. popular.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Aziz Ansari and Bill Burr didn't sell out in 10 hours when they played same theater.

Granted, this was 2 or 3 years ago but still.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
P. loaded year for me seeing stand ups. In addition to aforementioned John Mulaney show in three days, I'm seeing Michael Che at Wilbur in Boston next month. That show should be interesting cause he caused a NEW ENGLAND CONTROVERSY when he did an interview somewhere he called Boston most racist city he's ever performed in.

Note if you get upset someone accuses Boston of being a racist city, you are probably mildly racist.

Wacko Walrus said:
If Boston is so racist then why is Michael Che performing there again

Speaking of cutting racial commentary, I just got ticket to Chris Rock at the hilariously named WANG THEATER in Boston in November. That'll be sweet.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I watched the new Amy Schumer special on Netflix. I feel like her comedy has changed. I used to really really enjoy her. But I feel like she figured out that her shock stuff gets more of a positive/negative reaction than anything else so her show has just become about how many times she can say "pussy".

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
I watched the new Amy Schumer special on Netflix. I feel like her comedy has changed. I used to really really enjoy her. But I feel like she figured out that her shock stuff gets more of a positive/negative reaction than anything else so her show has just become about how many times she can say "pussy".

Yeah, I agree. I watched this when it came out because it was in the string before the NBA playoffs where I was just putting Netflix comedy specials on when I did my elliptical at the gym and I felt very similar. The sad thing is, it feels like she is doing what Sarah Silverman started doing - right from when she was big into fading into the background.

Definitely toward the bottom of the list that I was watching - did a string of the new Chappelle, Garfunkel & Oates, Michael Che, Trevor Noah, this one - those are the main I am remembering.

What does everyone else think of Trevor Noah? Myself, I still can't get into him. I feel he is okay and then he gets these weird pander moments. Like his whole bit about calling someone a pussy from his new special. It had its moments but then went so far where it was just overkill on social justice stuff.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Val Kilmer is coming to the comedy club here as Mark Twain, screening a one-man show of him as Mark Twain, and then doing a Q&A. I have no satisfactory way to follow that up.

Valeyard

Reaction score
KNXV%20Val%20Kilmer%20Mark%20Twain_1480084781206_50356003_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Valeyard

Reaction score
Brazen Facebook Page said:
Val Kilmer is coming to the comedy club here as Mark Twain, screening a one-man show of him as Mark Twain, and then doing a Q&A. I have no satisfactory way to follow that up.

So he comes up the ramp to the stage, looking like he's going to die any time now, in aviators and a Batman hat while "Take My Breath Away" plays. Then he falls off the stage at the far end, nearly hitting his own merch table. His voice is completely shot from cancer, and he looks so frail it was hard to watch. The Mark Twain vid thing was much better than I expected, however. He was an asshole during the Q&A.

It was all I expected and so much more.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Keep getting mail for free tickets to upcoming shows, one of which is Brandon Shaub of UFC fame. Him or Jay Mohr. I'm not sure what to do with myself.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I tuned out of MMA, more or less, when the UFC started getting overexposed and I couldn't keep up. I'm not sure a Shaub show in a college town would be my scene, free or not.

I wish Bas would tour. I'd very much pay for that.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big Brown is entertaining on Rogan's podcast just because I truly believe that he's one of those guys that will lie through their teeth at any moment. He says ridiculous shit all the time.

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't go to that show and get honey dicked for sure my man 100% big boy.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
He's smart enough to do the Chappelle thing of confiscating phones before he performs so nothing has really been exposed about his act but from people I know and trust it's pretty much 60% weird bro homoerotic stuff mixed with tales about how much he stunk in his football and MMA career.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'd rather keep my phone and get my douchechills elsewhere, then. As someone who hates crowds anyway, that sounds like it'd be atrocious.