Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Comic Shop; Marvel, DC, Image, classics, Manga etc

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
There really doesn't seem to be enough interest to sustain three different comics threads and I don't like having to hunt down each thread anytime I want to make a post about comics so I thought it was time to make a new thread.

Lets start by asking a few questions and see if anyone actually responds!

1. What was the first and last comic issue you read?

2. What is your favourite comic storyline?

3. Who is your favourite character of alltime?

4. Avengers or Justice League (Marvel or DC)?

5. Favourite Writers?

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
The first comic I read (not counting a Spidey comic when i was little I don't remember or Archies) was https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15719.Marvel_1602 which I got from the library when I decided to start reading comics and it was pretty random that it was my first. The last comic I read was https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/77349/immortal_hulk_2018_35 Immortal Hulk #35 which is part of one of the best Hulk series I've read and maybe the best current Marvel series.

Super tough to answer! Batman "The Long Halloween" might be the answer. There's a lot of runs of other stuff (Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Deadpool, Hawkeye) that I love and for a long-running series I think "Invincible" is the best.

Captain America and Deadpool depending on my mood. Kind of weird for a Canadian to love Cap so much but I do. He's the kind of superhero I love. Yes he has the classic "corny" values but he isn't overbearing (when written well) and he comes off as sincere and because he isn't an overpowered behemoth (coughsupes) you can get behind him. Deadpool is just fun.

DC ever since New52 has been a chore to read and I'm mostly years behind on it. Before that I actually liked it much more than Marvel overall. Now I'm a full-fledged Marvel guy. I could go and on about my issues but I'll just boil it down to saying that Marvel for all its flaws at least has makes its books feel different and tosses in some colourful upbeat stuff.

5. Favourite Writers?
I've never been someone who really focused on who is writing versus the character but Robert Kirkman, Neil Gaiman and a few others always intrigue me.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
    • The first comic that I can definitely remember reading was Green Lantern Vol. 2 #159: I picked it up from a spinner at a Jewel-Osco.
    • The most recent comic I read was Savage Dragon #252.
    • "God Loves, Man Kills"
    • Savage Dragon. EDIT - I take that back: My favorite title is Savage Dragon, but my favorite character is probably Firestar. I like her power set, and I'm sympathetic to her origin story, and how she's been portrayed, plus she's one of the few mutants who's not immune to her own powers. Either her, or She-Hulk.
    • Make Mine Marvel!
  5. Favourite Writers?
    • Chris Claremont, Louise Simonsen, Erik Larsen. In the "modern" era, probably Brian Michael Bendis and Johnathan Hickman.

Last edited:

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
EF377436-502E-4C0A-91BF-A8EC8382A3D9.jpeg
This is the first comic I remember reading. I’d know who Spider-Man was and I know I’d seen some comics before this. But I remember seeing this cover in the grocery store and making it a point to buy it.

Latest was Invincible Ultimate Collection volume 10. I’d read 1-9 and for some reason took a forever break from the book. Figured I was due to give everything a reread instead of trying to jump back in. 2 volumes to go.

I don’t have a solid answer here. Near the top would be Kingdom Come, Knightfall, various Invincible and Fables stories, Astro City’s “confessions” always stuck with me, Preacher’s “Until the End of the World,” Maximum Carnage. I don’t remember which ”Emerald” tag they give it. But the one where Hal Jordan loses his shit and turns heel. And it’s not a storyline. But there’s one really cool either Batman or detective comics book where Joker gets Robin around Christmas time and has him tied up in the passenger seat of a car while he’s off joyriding and doing all kinds of mayhem. That was fun. And while not a writer, I would check out books that Alex Ross worked on.

Leaning towards Spider-Man. Even though Spidey books aren’t my favorite

Never got into either team books really. For marvel vs dc I always liked marvel when I was younger, but I’ve read more dc in the last decade between the two. But I think that’s because dc does their trade books a bit better.

5. Favourite Writers?

Ennis for Preacher and The Boys. I was way into Preacher when it was a new book. Hadn’t seen anything like it before. I tried to get in to Crossed but it mostly sucks. Just shock reading for the most part.

Kirkman because Invincible is fantastic, Battle Pope was fun, and Walking Dead was great for a while. I finished the book, but like the show I got tired of it the longer it went on.

Bendis, select Snyder, Alan Moore obviously had some great work, whoever was behind Chew, such a fun and unique book.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I started with the Knightfall saga after getting the comic collection at a Convention. Last issues I've read are the HQ: Black, Red, White series through DC Universe.

Always been a big fan of The Long Halloween storyline. I also really like the initial Ra's Al Ghul storyline.

Pretty obvious but Harley Quinn.

Neither? I've never been a big 'team-up' guy and I actually prefer the X-Men or Teen Titans to either group.

5. Favourite Writers?
Paul Dini is up there for me. Denny O'Neil is great as well. I tend to enjoy the works of Chuck Beatty & Scott Dixon more often than not.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Oy, @cobainwasmurdered, I think that people might be taking Question #4 a bit too literally. Since I'm guessing that the latter portion is the question you actually wanted to ask, you might have been better off leaving out the former portion.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
well everyone but HQ got it so I feel like we're pretty safe.
In fairness, YNA kind of answered both questions. I, myself, almost did the same thing that HQ did, and it was only after I re-read my post on preview, to double-check my formatting, that I realized what you were actually asking.

For the record, between the two options given, I choose Avengers (mainly because of T'Challa), but neither team actually makes my Top 5. My favorite superhero team is Power Pack.

Staff member
Reaction score

The first was probably some #1 New 52 shit. I could honestly not tell you. The last one was some Secret Empire garbage.

Infinity

Batman. Easy answer there.

Marvel, which is explained by when I started reading these.

5. Favourite Writers?

Jonathan Hickman for sure.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
@909 if you like Hickman he's got some pretty cool creator owned projcts at Image comics

" A Sci-Fi Western set in a dystopian America where all hope for the future rests in the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.. " Barely begins to describe what the plot is in this but it's cool.

Alt-History where the project is a front for way more insane research.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
The first comics I ever read where the Mario, Star Fox, Zelda, and Samus shorts that were published in Nintendo Power in the 90's. I didn't start separately published comics until around 2002. My guess is I started with the original Mirage TMNT comics.
Most recent would be the first volume of Sandman. Unless we're talking manga, then it was a couple of chapters of Watamote.

2. What is your favorite comic storyline?
I don't know where to begin, so instead I'll name the arc that got me into superhero comics. Guy Gardner Reborn. It's the story of Gardner trying to reinvent himself and eventually going after Sinestro's yellow ring after losing his Green Lantern ring to Hal Jordan. My early obsession with Green Lantern started here, too.

3. Who is your favorite character of alltime?
Guy Gardner? Booster Gold? Ted Kord Blue Beetle? Invincible? Bart Allen? Tim Drake? Dr. Strange? Luffy?! I dunno. I could probably go on. I've also got a real soft spot for Vance Astrovick/Justice/Marvel Boy, too, but he's not really been in enough stuff since the 90's to warrant it.

Nothing beats 70's era Marvel and 80's DC for me. As for recent stuff, I've found DC rarely readable since new 52.

5. Favourite Writers?
Kirby/Lee, Gerard Jones, Keith Giffen/J.M. Demattis, Jonathon Hickman, Bendis sometimes, Gail Simone, Alan Moore obviously, Morrison, Steve Gerber, Marv Wolfman, Eiichiro Oda, Junji Ito! I could keep naming manga authors, too.

Last edited:

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Aside from MAD magazine, the first comic I got for myself was Batman: The Killing Joke in 1989. Second printing. Stopped buying comics a couple years later with the second issue of Groo the Wanderer, but completed my Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers collection in the mid-90s. Tried collecting the Battle Royale manga circa 2003-04, but gave up when I realized how many volumes it had. I would like a complete set of the Barefoot Gen manga someday though.

Always liked the ongoing story of The Spirit concealing his supposedly deceased true identity Denny Colt from the world. Gotta say that The Spirit is sometimes cringe-worthy in its depiction of the Ebony White character though. Those were the days...?

All three of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Marvel if I really have to pick since I always bought more of their titles, but I ultimately have more of an affinity for EC titles like Tales from the Crypt and Crime SuspenStories and the great underground comics of the '60s and '70s.

5. Favourite Writers?
Writers? What? Bill Gaines and Al Feldstein for the EC horror and crime comics, but it's really all about the artists and there are many. R. Crumb, Will Eisner, Basil Wolverton, Frank Frazetta, Gilbert Shelton, Jack Davis, Vaughn Bode, S. Clay Wilson, Richard Corben, the list is endless.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
I think most of us who check this thread out are more likely to be familiar with Marvel/DC than other imprints. So I thought I'd talk a little about Image Comics which is the third major comic company.

Image is different from the Big Two in that the creators own the properties they create (crazy I know) instead of giving the copyrights to the publishers. Also unlike the other companies most series do not run forever. There's a much much wider variety of stories being told as the writers are able to experiment.

"The Walking Dead", "Spawn" and "Kick-ass" are some of the better known comics that have been adapted by Hollywood but I'm going to mention some of my favourites:

1. "Invincible" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/214867.Invincible_Vol_1
This is one of the rare super hero stories in Image but it isn't like DC/Marvel. This is one of my absolute favourite series. There are so many twists and the storytelling is fantastic. It manages to both avoid superhero tropes while still being a classic story (with a ton of gore) at heart.

2. "Descender" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25546167-descender-vol-1
Fantastic sci-fi. This series has gotten a ton of praise and it's all deserved. Set in a universe where all androids has been outlawed, a survivor tries to find his family.

3. "The Fuse" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22129920-the-russia-shift
Detectives on a space station! Fairly self-explanatory.

4. "Saga" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15704307-saga-vol-1
a lot of people consider this one of the best series in recent history. It's certainly among them. Two soldiers from opposing sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love and get pregnant and everyone is out to get them.

5. "Powers" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/105864.Powers_Vol_1
This is the oldest series and it has gone through a few runs and eventually Bendis moved over to DC with it but this first run is the best. Like "Invincible" I would call it one of my GOATs.
"Powers" is set in a world full of Heroes and when one of the most beloved is murdered, two detectives are called in to try and solve the case.

There are a lot more that I decided not to mention for the sake of brevity, including a series with an undead Thor who "missed" Rangarok and is left trying in the hellscape world(s).

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I’ve heard good things on Invincible. I swear someone was trying to do either a movie or TV adaptation of it. Either that or I’m remembering the creator didn’t want that to happen.

I had seen merchandise for Saga before like Funko POPs. Had no idea of the premise.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I’ve heard good things on Invincible. I swear someone was trying to do either a movie or TV adaptation of it. Either that or I’m remembering the creator didn’t want that to happen.

I had seen merchandise for Saga before like Funko POPs. Had no idea of the premise.

There’s the trailer for the invincible animated series. Not hearing Clancy Brown as Nolan was a bummer for me (but JK Simmons is great). I feel like this series would cost a trillion dollars to do it live action and do it right.

Saga has always been up and down for me. I always seem to like it, but I was never eager to start a book

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Been having a blast with the Harley Quinn: Black + White + Red series. It's like a compilation TV series if done in comic form for a specific character. Some fun, unique stories thrown in with good variety in the subject matter as well. The different artwork take is fantastic and a highlight.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot I had written an article about Image Comics on the site a couple years ago as well

the first two I didn't mention in the thread so hey bonus content!

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score

holy shit we got us a liveaction lockjaw with no CGI needed!

• Love
Reactions: Laz

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm halfway through the big X of Swords crossover (all of the Xbooks are involved 22 issues) which is the first Xbook crossover since the House of X reset (which is also a must read) and I would say at least so far it is the best event I've read from either company in many years. Really fantastic.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
No one was asking for them to bring back Heroes Reborn, an idea so bad they had to come up with "Nah see uh Franklin Richards invented a COUNTER-Earth hidden behind the uh Moon...really".

That said Dr. Juggy looks cool and the writing team now is a billion times better.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Starting to tomorrow, Marvel will have a fan vote to determine the next member of an X-men team

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
The current run of X books has been fantastic. The vote has actually been set up logically in universe so I don't have a problem with it.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
of the options I'll be voting for Armour or Boom-Boom btw. I have no idea who would vote for Tempo.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
crosspost with white nationalist thread

EyShAEzWYAE1dcb

Peterson and his supporters not thrilled to be associated with a Nazi all of a sudden. I'm a few issues behind on Cap but this is really funny. Coates run on Black Panther was terrific.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Read the huuuge Venom/Symbiote crossover they'd been building for a long time and...eh. I'm not a huge symbiote guy. The art in the main series was great but it didn't really do anything for me. Knull was so ridiculously overpowered it was goofy.

He tore Sentry apart in an exact copy of the way Sentry tore Ares apart which was a funny nod but was so goofy.

The X books continue to be really intriguing. I'm about a month or so behind on everything I think and they seem to be reaching a turning point on a lot of comics.

Spiderman just finished up a major long story-arc. BP just finished Ta Nehisi Coates FIVE year run which I recommend. Captain America is wrapping up a major storyline. The Immortal Hulk is ending which is one of the best books in all of comics and essential reading. The X-books are heading into what looks like a major event. So there's a lot of interesting stuff happening.