Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Local News Thread: Proud/Ashamed of Your Area?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some Koch Brothers PAC (despite race being between four Democrats but also I think they're helping centrist Democrats now?) and alternately the Bernie Sanders PAC got involved in the Portland Mayoral Election that is happening today. There've been weird anti-Semitic/xenophobic ads about the incumbent (Jewish) Mayor sheltering a bunch of refugees this summer and wanting to give them free housing. Plus a lot of vandalized campaign signs.

It's going to be a long year before the varsity election.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://ballotpedia.org/Maine_Question_1,_Religious_and_Philosophical_Vaccination_Exemptions_Referendum_(March_2020)
So there's a vaccinations referendum on the ballot next month in Maine on same day as Democratic Primaries (Maine canceled its Republican primary. Piss off, Bill Weld!). I kind of get the government overreach argument but the Yes on 1 campaign (the anti vaxx side) is skeevy af. All their signs are about stopping Big Pharma. Which really has nothing to do with the argument.

Love how the anti vaxx community brings together galaxy brained liberal and galaxy brained conservatives. ::) ::) ::)

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does anyone know what a city marshal does? I sure as hell don't but it's all retired cops that run for it. Someone I know personally (dad's friend) is starting to have signs popping up around town for the fall election. I like him, a lot, used to take me fishing, watched me grow up.

He was a garbage professional. If someone would come out with a bombshell about something he did from behind the badge, I doubt I'd even blink. I could fire off a LOT of things I've heard about him "on the job" that enough other people with better credibility than me will have the ability to leak, but the thing that always stuck me was when one of my friends called me (a grown ass man) crying his eyes out about the way a cop just treated him. Seems my friend made the dumb decision to park in a handicapped spot, windows down, engine running, in an empty 11pm Wal-mart parking lot waiting for his nephew to get off work. His logic was there's literally 6 spots around him that are empty and it's as close as he can park without going into a fire lane, saving his cousin from a long walk. Very illegal, shake my finger at him, etc.. etc.. Well here comes the po po, pulls my friend out of his car, yells at him like he's a garbage human, and skips past a lecture or writing him a ticket and issues him a full fledged court summons (I'm not too clear how they can decide to escalate). I don't know what made me compelled to ask, but I asked if he got a name, and when he said this dudes name, I just got cold all over and my heart sunk. I said I'd see if I could ask the old man to ask around or talk to his buddy. Dad's like "well he DID park in a handicapped spot..." and I'm like "I AGREE GIVE HIM A TICKET DON'T JOSTLE HIM AND SKIP THE TICKET PROCESS!" which, as much as he was a dip stick for parking there, if it was as deserted as he claims, just fuss the dude and use it as a learning opportunity, not "respect my authoritah" opportunity.

Anyway, cop dude refused to budge, was very gruff for even asking if he could ease back on it with the DA. Friend had to go to court and luckily it was the "nice" judge that day and he plead whatever (guilty I guess?) and instead of the state $500 fine they let him off with a shake of the gavel and a court cost fine and a don't park in empty handicapped spots regardless of abundance of others at 11pm lecture.

Other 2 guys are also retired po po. One is dad's old boss, one is a guy I served on a board with. Sweet dude, but even if researching people google his name they could find discouraging stuff. I hate politics.

And as a fake edit to the last sentence in the first paragraph, can't say I like him too much personally anymore, either.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nearby community had a double murder last month, guy walked into a house and killed two women with a gun. Over the weekend it was announced 3 people were arrested for the crime, all three from out of the area. The press release hit the papers yesterday detailing motive and such. Criminal 1 just got out of jail (on bond, awaiting trial) for molesting a relative. He calls Criminal 2 about hiring out a hit on the juvenile victim so she can't testify. Criminal 2 hires Criminal 3 to make the two hour drive to this area to carry out the murder. The article states when he did the murders it was his third attempt after failing on two prior visits (and there was another visit where Criminal 1 brought him to the house to give him the layout). The paper states that when Criminal 3 forced his way in, he asked for the molestation victim by name. Her mom stood up and said, "that's me" so he shot her. The visiting neighbor attempted to attack Criminal 3 so he shot her dead too. The intended victim was hiding in her bedroom the whole time, survived. Criminal 3 got away, but a resident got the plate, traced it back to who he borrowed it from, etc..

In between the crime and captures the article says, Criminal 1 was a pall bearer at the funeral for the first murder victim, since she was his sister and apparently no one knew enough about his sex crime and arrest to stop him from attending/participating in the funeral.

Article closes with Criminals 2 & 3 have admitted to their roles in the thing, Criminal 1 is still denying involvement it seems.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
8 year old shot and killed in my area. The suspected shooter was trying to kill an adult from a rival gang in the vehicle, missed, and killed the child. It's so bad that according to the moderator on the neighborhood watch page, not only is the rival gang looking for the shooter, his OWN friends are pissed the fuck off that he shot an 8 year old. Moderator (dating one of my friends) knows a few people in the know says he had to flee the state due to the amount of people on both sides of the law that want to play Jack Ruby when he's caught.

The amount of people going live on Facebook this past week, any time they see police presence somewhere, is staggering. Hoping to be the one that gets the scoop when shooter is brought to justice. But yeah, NW mod insists he's not in town anymore and the people are wasting their time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maine might become the first state in the nation to decriminalize prostitution. But once again, I have to remind everyone that I have never paid for sex.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Maine might become the first state in the nation to decriminalize prostitution. But once again, I have to remind everyone that I have never paid for sex.

source.gif

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Reese Witherspoon is filming a movie here. Downtown is blocked off. I forgot. Trying to go the detour route, 1/4 mile down, I still wound up stuck behind a townie holding up traffic at a green light trying to see a flicker of Reese.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Our mayor had to resign because he moved out of town and didn't know that meant he couldn't still be the mayor. Despite being on the city council for almost 25 years.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah....not going to name names but I know of a local office holder (no longer in office) who moved out of his shared home with his wife and lived in a motel for over a year. It was a dicey situation because it was a border area motel that MIGHT have been in or out of his district but no one else really knew about it. I thought about stirring shit but the blow back on me would have been substantial.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Another reason I love Halloween are little local events like this...

"The "paranormal couple" Cody Ray DesBiens and Satori Hawes, who appear on the Travel Channel show "Ghost Nation," will give a presentation at the Goodnow Library on Oct. 19 about haunted objects. Hawes and DesBiens have built up their own collection of oddities and haunted objects, which they will show off and discuss during the (virtual) event."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe it's only cause I've lived here a year and a half but this is neighboring city and I'm amazed this is first I heard of this story.

I guess restraining special needs students isn't the kind of story local news wants to showcase, I guess.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan O'Brien: Maine: The Deep South of the Far North

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's a law that passed in Louisiana that prohibits media, law enforcement agencies, and similar outlets from posting mugshots (online or in print) of people arrested. Our main local paper had already discontinued their "Busted" section of mugshots and our secondary paper would only periodically go onto the public inmate database and take a jpeg screenshot and post that on their website. It would seem from my understanding of the law, they can't even post something along the lines of "Joe Q Public, 45, 6/14/2022, arrested for drinking and driving." It's being attributed to "innocent until proven guilty" and that the papers will happily post someone was arrested for some scandalous act but often times there is NO follow up on charges being dismissed. From what I've dug into it, there are still caveats for high risk escapes that haven't made it to trial yet and a few other common sense things.

The spirit of the law is that someone can be arrested, charges dismissed, or found not guilty but then a prospective employer googles their name and finds "charged with x, y, and z..." and be turned down for something the paper didn't bother to do a follow up story on.

I support this for the most part. Lord knows when we're doing hiring people are googling the applicants and finding all kinds of dirt but then you conduct an official background check through the proper authorities, it comes back clean or just minor BS infractions that have no bearing on the quality of their work ethic.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Why? just fucking WHY? I feel so hopeless seeing this shit. One of the community facebook groups is fundraising for the funeral. I resolved to donate any money I make from my ebay, etc.. ventures over the next week.

I just can't stop screaming inside.