Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The LOL At Nu-Metal thread

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
If that song came out in 2007 then they'd be headlining festivals with Chimaira as support. Pretty straightforward groove metal stuff, glad that Morgan didn't try to force her riot grrl cleans in with her harsh vocals like she used to do all the time.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
These are actually two great points. By the time The Strokes and The White Stripes came around, critics went nuts for them (except for the Vines, who I remember got a lukewarm reception) and the mere idea of Nu Metal seemed like a joke. Also,pretty much everything you said about 9/11 putting a big nail in it's coffin. Granted, modern Rock radio hasn't changed that much. There might not be as much Nu Metal on the airwaves today, but instead it's Nickleback and other Post-Grunge and butt rock bands. Interestingly enough, even that radio format is slowly dying. Pop music is now taken more seriously than it was ten to fifteen years ago, and Hip-Hop remains the most popular form of music. When you look at it like that, a bunch of shitty bands with frontmen that have really annoying, yarl-ey vocals is something that not a lot of people want to associate with.

Another thing to factor in is the rise of mainstream Emo and Mallcore. Sometime in the early to middle (and in some cases late) 2000's, bands like Dasboard Confessional, My Chemical Romance and Hawthorne Heights became popular. For kids who had tired of Nu Metal outside of maybe Linkin Park, these kinds of bands were the soundtrack for the era of Livejournal (remember that?) and Myspace. To them, it was probably "You meatheads and bros can have shit like Drowning Pool and Limp Bizkit, we'll stick with this." I'm not saying it was good music (I'd rather not go back to an era in which Good Charlotte is a thing) but it probably helped play a part in Nu Metal's decline in popularity.
Bumping this super old Gary post because I do find it interesting the immediate "Garage Rock" revival + the surge in Emo immediately after, which helped immediately transition from the Nu-Metal genre.

In 2004 you have slower songs like Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" coming out next to bands like Jet, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, The Darkness, Switchfoot, etc. that were moving farther from the "Nu-Metal" genre and setting up the path for the mid-2000s. 2005 just added to it thanks to Gorillaz dropping "Feel Good Inc", Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance coming onto the scene, Queens of the Stone Age starting their surging run, The Strokes dropping "Juicebox", etc.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just followed a Facebook page that shares Billboard Rock Charts (that I wish I knew when I had a podcast on the Billboard Rock Charts) and interesting thing is nu metal never really went away. It certainly got more niche but aside from maybe that year where KoRn went dubstep, I don’t think it was ever not played on rock radio

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
I just followed a Facebook page that shares Billboard Rock Charts (that I wish I knew when I had a podcast on the Billboard Rock Charts) and interesting thing is nu metal never really went away. It certainly got more niche but aside from maybe that year where KoRn went dubstep, I don’t think it was ever not played on rock radio
Mallcore never died, it just got worse and worse.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Outside of a few brief trends, rock radio has been static for the past 20 years. It doesn’t sound that different from how it did in 2004. Which is probably why rock has nosedived in influence. There is interesting stuff happening but it’s not getting played on terrestrial radio.

I’m not saying hip hop, Top 40, and country are at all better. In fact, you could probably argue any or all of them are worse but they are constantly evolving.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
Hip hop at least had the trap phase, which even extends to rock ("trap metal" being a thing). Terrestrial radio is stuck because the stuff that folks are actually into nowadays is all found on Spotify, and there's no way iHeart Media will let the interesting stuff on the air.

...in a strange way, the early 80s c-grade dystopian musical the Apple was prophetic.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
This is what, the second or third promoted concert I've seen in this thread that has Tantic as a supporting act.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was very amused reading their Wikipedia page to learn that after forming after 3/4ths of Days of the New left the band because the frontman was intolerable, the only original member of Tantric is the frontman.