Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Metal Thread - Version 2

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
What's MA? If you mean Metal Archives, then no I don't go there.
A few years back I wouldn't blame you, but (almost) all the trolls are gone and most of the (music) discussion is devoid of condescension.

And there's this.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A few years back I wouldn't blame you, but (almost) all the trolls are gone and most of the (music) discussion is devoid of condescension.

And there's this.
I still lurk there and very rarely post under my Nile inspired username I used in the early 00's and I actually find it to be alright, but the politics thread hurts my head almost all of the time. Some of the takes in that thread and constant defeatist attitude make me angry at times. I find a lot of the non metal music threads to be the best ones. Since people let down their metal elitist hair and recommend a lot of interesting bands spanning all sorts of subgenres.

Last edited:

Laz

Reaction score
The recommendations threads are almost always exceptional. I really dig on the rankings thread trend, at least for the bands I actually listen to.

The politics thread is a dumpster fire, and I actually agree with a lot of the takes.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Hot take: "Clayman" by In Flames is one of the best metal albums of the 2000s and I'll fight anyone on that. Who wants some?

Laz

Reaction score
I'll fight you to the fucking death on the grounds that In Flames were never even the best band out of the Gothenburg scene. Not even once.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
To be fair, that was really the last good In Flames record. Sure, "Reroute to Remain" has its moments but everything after has been borderline unlistenable outside of a few tracks.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Love this guy's videos and figured this thread apropos

Laz

Reaction score
...in considerably less pedophiliac tones, I never knew that the post-Brockie Gwar also released acoustic versions of their songs. The acoustic version of "Fuck This Place" (linked) is awesome.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Bongzilla have a new album out. Also, this

O0indYn.jpg

Laz

Reaction score
The older I get, the more in tune with Morbid Angel from Blessed to Heresy I become. Those fucking tempo switches and chugs between tremolo and groove are just perfect. I can hear their influence on Suffocation and brutal death as a whole, and they're just compositionally above so many of their peers.

It had to help that Trey was willing to follow along with ideas of the rotating members, particularly Rutan. His brand of riffage is alllll over Gateways and it is delicious.

Last edited:

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Last edited:

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Laz

Reaction score
Somebody found the Simpsons KVLTPOSTING page, I see.

Also, somebody uploaded Murder in the Front Row, a doc about the Bay Area thrash scene that's more in depth than Get Thrashed was.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

I didn't know that James dispelled the goofy rumor that Hogan turned down being in the bassist for Metallica after Jason left.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Very few bands have rivaled the quality of the succession of albums between that, South of Heaven, and Seasons of the Abyss. Seeing Slayer trek on through the 90s was never quite the same (in-studio at least). I'll defend their 2000s input though.