Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Police Thread

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's probably the only channel of its kind that actively tries to balance things out logically and legally. Be careful with the algorithm now, SFH, because you'll start getting some real shitty alt reich suggestions if you check more Audit stuff out.
You ain't wrong. I don't want to derail, but I was recommended a true crime channel and the first video was examining the OJ trial. The commentator was a black man with a northernish cadence to his voice (in relation to the accents I hear around here on the gulf coast). Something about his presentation of the case facts was just sitting weird with me. I'm versed in the case and he wasn't presenting new arguments but his delivery was suspicious. Like he was carefully trying to appear neutral while pushing an agenda. I googled his name and he's one of the few hard line right wing black commentators out there and he's an outspoken supporter of Trump. I had never heard of this man before. His name is Larry Elder. He has a super soothing voice and he had me engaged for a few minutes before my spidey senses went haywire. He's got an air of credibility in how he presents his stuff but looking over his beliefs, I can't agree to support his youtube ventures. One of the few times I clicked the "don't show me this channel" option.

Damn algorithm.

@SFH : Heh! Val Venis! Wonder what he's up to these days!

Oh lord!

Hello assigned female at birth ladies.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
On Kevin Nash's pod today he spent several mins talking about how he had recently enjoyed watching a series of videos of people being arrested where they act the fool.
I finally have something in common with Nash aka Big Daddy Fascist.
--
I know who Larry Elder is, which is another sign I spend too much time reading political twitter. .

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had no idea prior to the above anecdote which is further evidence my political science degree is bullshit.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The sheriff of the college town near me was going to lunch with his daughter and found one of his deputy's units parked in a handicap spot. So, he's pissed as all hell. So far I've not seen anything in media identifying the person but every quote points toward suspension and the fines will exceed what a civilian would pay.

I've heard a lot of negative things about the sheriff but good on him for teaching this deputy a lesson. Part of me thinks the over reporting of it may be a political/PR stunt with it being an election year.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yes. In this state all 64 of them are elected and hold the most power in each individual jurisdiction. The only person that can arrest them is the coroner of the same jurisdiction (also elected).

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

MARION — In an unprecedented raid Friday, local law enforcement seized computers, cellphones and reporting materials from the Marion County Record office, the newspaper’s reporters, and the publisher’s home.

Eric Meyer, owner and publisher of the newspaper, said police were motivated by a confidential source who leaked sensitive documents to the newspaper, and the message was clear: “Mind your own business or we’re going to step on you.”

The city’s entire five-officer police force and two sheriff’s deputies took “everything we have,” Meyer said, and it wasn’t clear how the newspaper staff would take the weekly publication to press Tuesday night.

The raid followed news stories about a restaurant owner who kicked reporters out of a meeting last week with U.S. Rep. Jake LaTurner, and revelations about the restaurant owner’s lack of a driver’s license and conviction for drunken driving.

Meyer said he had never heard of police raiding a newspaper office during his 20 years at the Milwaukee Journal or 26 years teaching journalism at the University of Illinois.

“It’s going to have a chilling effect on us even tackling issues,” Meyer said, as well as “a chilling effect on people giving us information.”

The search warrant, signed by Marion County District Court Magistrate Judge Laura Viar, appears to violate federal law that provides protections against searching and seizing materials from journalists. The law requires law enforcement to subpoena materials instead. Viar didn’t respond to a request to comment for this story or explain why she would authorize a potentially illegal raid.

Emily Bradbury, executive director of the Kansas Press Association, said the police raid is unprecedented in Kansas.

“An attack on a newspaper office through an illegal search is not just an infringement on the rights of journalists but an assault on the very foundation of democracy and the public’s right to know,” Bradbury said. “This cannot be allowed to stand.”
Meyer reported last week that Marion restaurant owner Kari Newell had kicked newspaper staff out of a public forum with LaTurner, whose staff was apologetic. Newell responded to Meyer’s reporting with hostile comments on her personal Facebook page.

A confidential source contacted the newspaper, Meyer said, and provided evidence that Newell had been convicted of drunken driving and continued to use her vehicle without a driver’s license. The criminal record could jeopardize her efforts to obtain a liquor license for her catering business.

A reporter with the Marion Record used a state website to verify the information provided by the source. But Meyer suspected the source was relaying information from Newell’s husband, who had filed for divorce. Meyer decided not to publish a story about the information, and he alerted police to the situation.

“We thought we were being set up,” Meyer said.

Police notified Newell, who then complained at a city council meeting that the newspaper had illegally obtained and disseminated sensitive documents, which isn’t true. Her public comments prompted the newspaper to set the record straight in a story published Thursday.
Sometime before 11 a.m. Friday, officers showed up simultaneously at Meyer’s home and the newspaper office. They presented a search warrant that alleges identity theft and unlawful use of a computer.
The search warrant identifies two pages worth of items that law enforcement officers were allowed to seize, including computer software and hardware, digital communications, cellular networks, servers and hard drives, items with passwords, utility records, and all documents and records pertaining to Newell. The warrant specifically targeted ownership of computers capable of being used to “participate in the identity theft of Kari Newell.”
Officers injured a reporter’s finger by grabbing her cellphone out of her hand, Meyer said. Officers at his home took photos of his bank account information.
He said officers told him the computers, cellphones and other devices would be sent to a lab.
“I don’t know when they’ll get it back to us,” Meyer said. “They won’t tell us.”
The seized computers, server and backup hard drive include advertisements and legal notices that were supposed to appear in the next edition of the newspaper.
“I don’t know what we’re going to do,” he said. “We will publish something.”
Newell, writing Friday under a changed name on her personal Facebook account, said she “foolishly” received a DUI in 2008 and “knowingly operated a vehicle without a license out of necessity.”
“Journalists have become the dirty politicians of today, twisting narrative for bias agendas, full of muddied half-truths,” Newell wrote. “We rarely get facts that aren’t baited with misleading insinuations.”
She said the “entire debacle was brought forth in an attempt to smear my name, jeopardize my licensing through ABC (state Alcoholic Beverage Control Division), harm my business, seek retaliation, and for personal leverage in an ongoing domestic court battle.”
At the law enforcement center in Marion, a staff member said only Police Chief Gideon Cody could answer questions for this story, and that Cody had gone home for the day and could not be reached by phone. The office of Attorney General Kris Kobach wasn’t available to comment on the legal controversy in Marion, which is north of Wichita in central Kansas.
Melissa Underwood, communications director of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, replied by email to a question about whether the KBI was involved in the case.
“At the request of the Marion Police Department, on Tuesday, Aug. 8, we began an investigation into allegations of criminal wrongdoing in Marion, Kansas. The investigation is ongoing,” Underwood said.
Meyer, whose father worked at the newspaper from 1948 until he retired, bought the Marion County Record in 1998, preventing a sale to a corporate newspaper chain.
As a journalism professor in Illinois, Meyer said, he had graduate students from Egypt who talked about how people would come into the newspaper office and seize everything so they couldn’t publish. Those students presented a scholarly paper at a conference in Toronto about what it has done to journalism there.
“That’s basically what they’re trying to do here,” Meyer said. “The intervention is just like that repressive government of Egypt. I didn’t think it could happen in America.”

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Similar thing happened here but to private residents in their home. They wound up getting a very generous settlement to drop the civil rights lawsuit.

Definitely not a good look to go after a newspaper. :oops:

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How many times in this thread have I mentioned dating a cop's sister in college and he pulled a gun on me for mouthing off? That gun boldness is some shit.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I read that he was stabbed, but the jail didn't confirm anything. Now I'm crossing my fingers he was stabbed AND overdosed.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, stabbed himself with a needle. Just another jobless republican on drugs.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Habitual shop lifter tried to run over a cop and was shot. Cops now in trouble.

The Blendon Township police use-of-force policy provides that officers should try to move away from an approaching vehicle instead of firing their weapons.[18] Both of the officers were placed on paid administrative leave after the shooting, although the officer who did not fire his gun has since returned to duty. The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation is investigating the shooting.[20]

GOP Brody says good for the cunt.