Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The WWF New Generation Thread Volume 2

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
I think the closest thing to gymnastics Tatanka ever did was a second rope overhead chop. These had to be his shoot answers since he clearly recognized some but not others.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like to imagine George Steinbrenner and Mean Gene getting bombed together somewhere in Tampa and Mean Gene doing his "AUH! AUH!" noises while George flips the eff out at the bar staff.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
New Generation Era seemed like Golden Age for canceled WM matches
VIII- Berzerker Vs British Bulldog (also wasn't Money Inc originally supposed to face Sgt. Slaughter and Hacksaw Jim Duggan before they switched to Natural Disasters?)
IX- Bam Bam Bigelow Vs Kamala and Jerry Lawler Vs Tenryu
X- Ten Man Tag
XII- Miami Street Fight between Razor Ramon and Goldust
13- Too many to mention.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
8 - Plus LOD vs Disasters in a "Street Fight" IIRC from the WWF mag.

--
GFA Live podcast just made me think about how PWI spent at least several years referring to the 123 Kid as "The Kid" in the results section (IIRC).

Much like for the first bit of Balls Mahoney's ECW run they called him "B. Mahoney" even in the PPV recap articles. I didn't have any ECW access to watch, so I definitely have old fantasy booking notebooks with B. Mahoney listed in the ECW events, just based on pictures.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score

Foley buried this in his book but it seems just okay to me. Would've probably been much better six months or a year later.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was overshadowed by the criticisms of Ric Flair but Foley really seemed resentful and borderline spiteful towards Mero in his first book. Like I don’t think anyone besides Foley thought Marc Mero got preferential treatment in ‘96-‘97.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
8 - Plus LOD vs Disasters in a "Street Fight" IIRC from the WWF mag.

--
GFA Live podcast just made me think about how PWI spent at least several years referring to the 123 Kid as "The Kid" in the results section (IIRC).

Much like for the first bit of Balls Mahoney's ECW run they called him "B. Mahoney" even in the PPV recap articles. I didn't have any ECW access to watch, so I definitely have old fantasy booking notebooks with B. Mahoney listed in the ECW events, just based on pictures.

Yeah, I remember them listing him as The Kid. I'm not sure if they ever got around to the 123 part before he added the numbers up down in Atlanta.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Holy crap, wow.

For a game released in December of 93 it has a.....wacky.....roster

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A big blue cage probably would've looked cool at the IX arena. But, imo, with a heel getting the world title, it should've been used for the tag team match & put that on last to send the fans home happy.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Potential blue cage is another reason why I wish they'd gotten Flair to stay on and lose to Perfect on the show.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Get Luger to trap Perfect in right afterwards for a metal forearm and it's the easiest transition in the world.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Still standing by my ideal 'Mania 9 card that I jotted down a few years ago...

Bret Hart vs. Randy Savage—WWF championship
The Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez
Lex Luger vs. Tito Santana
Razor Ramon vs. Bob Backlund
Money Inc. vs. Mega-Maniacs—tag team championship
Yokozuna vs. Big Boss Man
Ric Flair vs. Mr. Perfect—loser leaves town
Doink the Clown vs. Crush
Steiner Brothers vs. The Headshrinkers
Shawn Michaels vs. Tatanka—Intercontinental championship
Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Kamala—dark match

When was the idea of a Jerry Lawler/Genichiro Tenryu 'Mania 9 match floated and then canceled?

I imagine that a cage match might have looked cool in that makeshift arena, but I wonder how it would have felt to touch in that 80-degree dry heat.

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My fantasy version of WM 9 was always the most unrealistic way possible to do it, but Ideally I had Bret, Perfect, and Yokozuna going over Hogan, Flair, and Macho Man in the top 3 matches and setting up the "new (yes I realize Perfect and Bret are mid 30's) generation. I also disregarded some irl issues like Marty Jannetty's problems. My card usually went:

Hulk Hogan vs Bret Hart for the WWF Title
Ric Flair vs Mr. Perfect in a Loser Leaves Town Match
Yokozuna vs Macho Man Randy Savage
Shawn Michaels vs Marty Jannetty for the WWF Intercontinental Title
The Undertaker vs Razor Ramon (I don't think losing to Taker would hurt Razor that much as his face turn was inevitable either way. It would be as good as a match as Taker could have in the 1993 version of the gimmick)
The Steiner Brothers vs Money Inc for the WWF Tag Team Titles
Bam Bam Bigelow vs Tatanka (Schmoz finish to protect both guys)
Lex Luger vs Owen Hart (Competitive squash and Owen would make Luger look fantastic)
Doink The Clown vs Bob Backlund (Idk, I think this would be weird and interesting)
The Headshrinkers vs The Nasty Boys (Put the Shrinkers over in a good brawl)

Not realistic, but I wish it happened. I apologize to the Crush heads, but he's in the dark match squashing The Model.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Backlund/Razor Ramon still makes your fantasy card, @SUPER LEATHER . I always want to like that match since it seems like it could be a great or at least, fascinating story on paper. In execution, it is complete ass. In retrospect, they probably should have done the Backlund heel turn about a year earlier. His '92-'93 babyface stuff is ass (outside of that one part where he realizes how long he's been in the ring at the '93 Rumble). I know he needed a cold streak to set up him snapping but it didn't need to be almost two years long!
When was the idea of a Jerry Lawler/Genichiro Tenryu 'Mania 9 match floated and then canceled?
Tenryu taped a few matches for WWF TV that only aired in Europe on the marathon tapings after the Royal Rumble and they had a press conference where Vince announced he'd be at WrestleMania IX. Not sure where the Lawler rumor came from but it may have been hyped in WWF Magazine

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly why I kept Backlund/Razor or Crush/Doink; it might be simply due to not finding better options for them off the top of my head when quickly jotting down some ideas.

Tenryu/Backlund might have been cool to see.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm probably the only one who wouldn't change Yokozuna Vs Bret Hart or the MegaManiacs Vs Money Inc but swapped the order and just had the Mega Maniacs go over clean in a feel good 5-10 minute extended glorified squash. I would have had Yokozuna go over cleanly. Just make him completely dominant from IX to X to set up Bret going over in the rematch.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When Lawler fucked Perfect at the Rumble, I assumed that was setting up Mania. Not sure where my head put Luger at the time.

Someday I will dig out the boxes of Fantasy booking notebooks I wrote out and find out.
--
I legit filled a whole notebook or 2 with continuous results from my action figure league. Includes results, theme music listing, faction breakdowns, etc.

What a geek.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the general idea was that Heenan brought in Luger to go after Perect after Hennig's face turn. That was the story but that sorta went away by the time of Mania 9 iirc as Bobby and Lex weren't really associated with one another anymore.

Wasn't Lawler/Tenryu announced in the magazine? ( oh wait Kamala already said that)