Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Day in Pro Wrestling History

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Hogan struggling to hook the leg because Andre was just that heavy and thus making the slam cooler is good stuff.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Ah, Vince McMahon's ladder leg drop...the memories

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Kamala and Bushwacker Luke in Ring of Honor!

Batista vs HHH, the Cena Curse begins, Orton makes us believe they might put him over Taker, Shawn and Kurt go wild, etc

The Triple Threat explodes!

A fun looking 6 man headlines RAW, plus Shrinkers of heads, and Adam Bomb and Tatanka sleepwalk through a match!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Ricky Steamboat makes an impression vs Jericho. JBL retires, HHH batters Orton. HBK vs Taker.

Nitro is headlined by Flair facing DDP, Goldberg, and Hogan

A tremendous Wrestlemania...well at least half of one.....

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of the more amazing career arcs that there is. He really busted his ass to go from becoming a manager and borderline job guy to World Champion multiple times.

Dandy

Reaction score
Yeah, and 100% deserving of that run too. He busted his ass on his body and in the ring. He was crazy over with his Diamondcutter and “People’s Champ” gimmick.

Plus he had those bandaged ribs for 17 years while he wrestled.

Last edited:

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, and 100% deserving of that run too. He busted his ass on his body and in the ring. He was crazy over with his Diamondcutter and “People’s Champ” gimmick.

Plus he had those bandaged ribs for 17 years while he wrestled.
If I can remember our feelings at the time, I think WCW missed the peak of DDP's overness and by this point a lot of people just saw it as a token run for Eric's buddy. This was the beginning of a ping pong of champions with Nash-Savage-Hogan all grabbing it over the next few months. Post-Finger Poke of Doom, Post NWO angle just....ending....with Hogan going out with a knee injury. WCW was entering into a shitty summer period.
The Spring Stampede show itself did excellent at the gate.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Goldberg hadn't randomly caught fire, I'm guessing DDP probably would have gotten a transitional title reign in second half of '98, as a reward for helping them with all of the dumb celebrity BS.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Goldberg hadn't randomly caught fire, I'm guessing DDP probably would have gotten a transitional title reign in second half of '98, as a reward for helping them with all of the dumb celebrity BS.
I guess DDP was trying to get new guys over even in mid 99 as he stepped out of the main event mix to elevate Kanyon in the Jersey Triad team.

New being a subjective term since Kanyon had been there since 1995 under various gimmicks.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WRESTLEMANIA 2: WHAT THE WORLD IS COMING TO!!!

Ronda Rousey gives Becky Lynch the baton, Batista bows out, KOFIMANIA. Kurt Angle retires

Fandango inexplicably beats Y2J, Tea Party Jack Swagger faces Alberto Del Rio, HHH THE GAME THE KING OF KINGS THE CEREBRAL ASSASSIN outmuscles Bork. The Rock puts over Cena, Taker punks CM.

Hard to tell from the results alone, but a damn fun edition of RAW aired in 1997.

WCW blinked first and took a secondary title off their young ethnic star

The Undertaker fought the Gangstas in front of Hillbillies.

Papa Shango bested a rapist.

The Repo Man hung the British Bulldog.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Cena lost to Taker in a shitty built match with a even worse payoff, D-Bry was saddled with the bosses kid, Ronda stole the show and Brock upset(?) Roman.

http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwe/monday-night-raw-16936.html

2 Hall of Famers teamed with an AEW exec to lose to a fat guy

Stone Cold in a WM rematch I have zero recall of.

Money Inc beat the Rock and Roll Stallions

A day after the Bulldog was hung, the Undertaker was nearly impaled. (IIRC)

The Warrior joined PETA

Larryland reopened for business.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
They had to get in touch with Monsoon Classic for that Andre/Bret match. Cruelest of ironies. Miss that channel.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Happy to report that Former TSM Wrestling Folder Contributor Monsoon Classic recently returned to Twitter!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I loved Ziggler going into this and still held out hope even into 2016. Just everything after 2016 felt so stale.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Weird thing is I'm not even sure if he had a "jump the shark" moment. Closest I can think is when he became #1 Contender for the World Title before SummerSlam 2016 and the IWC collectively had a "Dolph Ziggler? Really!?" reaction. But even then, he had that really good Intercontinental Title feud with Miz afterward.

I think maybe thing is that Ziggler & Miz was Dolph Ziggler trying to prove he wasn't an idiot who kept making the mistakes then afterward, he didn't really change his character much at all. It's like Miz was proved right. "Oh Dolph Ziggler is just a dumb showoff and always chokes when it counts."

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I think maybe thing is that Ziggler & Miz was Dolph Ziggler trying to prove he wasn't an idiot who kept making the mistakes then afterward, he didn't really change his character much at all. It's like Miz was proved right. "Oh Dolph Ziggler is just a dumb showoff and always chokes when it counts."
I was listening to the latest This Guy Are Sick wrestling episode, and the hosts explained why Rock/HHH was able to happen so many times between 1997 and 2000 and remained so fresh. It was all because of how different they were, as characters, each time they feuded. Dolph hasn't changed as a character since debuting.