Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Thrift Store Shopping

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
My Goodwill pick ups for the last couple of weeks.

image_zpswy2n6f5c.jpg

I don't know when. But apparently Smash for the GC became a $40-$50 game.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
The last time I went to a thrift shop I picked up a bucket full of old GI Joes that were 30 cents each. One of the best value hauls I've ever scored in my life.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
I've been having some decent luck finding wrestling figures at one of the local Goodwills recently. Bought an extraordinarily well-preserved loose Narcissist Lex Luger Hasbro figure along with a purple heart (but probably not the mail-away one) Bret Hart mixed in with a bag of very common Jakks Steve Austin figures a week ago. Then today, I nabbed my first Remco AWA figures: Hawk and Larry Zbyszko. Hawk is in pretty good condition. The Living Legend is kinda fucked up, but I think I can get some of the scuffs and ink off with a little effort. The bag also contained a nifty little 3 in. Iron Shiek figure and what I initially thought might be Ricky Steamboat, but upon further review is actually Rambo.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Youth N Asia said:
Melee has a huge competitive scene. Apex earlier this year had over 1,000 entrants and significantly more are expected for Evo this summer.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Youth N Asia said:
My Goodwill pick ups for the last couple of weeks.

image_zpswy2n6f5c.jpg

image_zps40jtnegp.jpg

This was the verdict. BOF and M vs C underperformed a little. But Smash did very well.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Seeing this thread bumped just bums me out. I used to be able to rob pawn shops blind on vintage games. Now they just all check eBay first.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
One of my local places discovered Ebay, and now marks nearly every game at MISB prices. There are some nice games there, but the guy will never sell them for what he's asking.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
5008C016-53BA-4F63-96AB-A82C5379E472.jpeg
Bump...

My first thrift store haul in a bit. Have a local one I’ve been cleaning up at with toys recently. Finally had a great video game score there. Damn silent hill games got pricy in the last couple years. It’s still weird to me that some PS2 games now have serious value.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm the only one here who does this, but you can find a lot of interesting (and sometimes valuable) stuff digging around these places.

Pretty much every Genesis game I own right now came from a Goodwill or similar place. Last week I found a copy of Gunstar Heroes for $4. There was no manual, but just the cartridge can sometimes run you close to $20 on eBay.

I've found a couple of Japanese Saturn games at Goodwill in the last few months and found Street Fighter II and Street Fighter II Turbo for the Super Famicom today.

I'll sometimes re-sell stuff I find there, like when I paid $2 for a copy of Tomba! and sold it for $50 or buying a SNES with Mario RPG and flipping just the game for over $30.
The prices I sold those games for is depressing to see now.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I found a really good video game score at a thrift store. Once in a while I'll find a PS3 or 360 game that's worth a little more than most games, but that's about it.

Maybe last summer when I found Double Dash for like $6.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
14ACD09F-96D5-469B-9756-ABC9B2843E68-1724-000001F1E98AC60F.jpg

A83E6316-D234-426A-9486-92F575473460-1724-000001F1F28E6F62.jpg

Paid $50.50 for all of that (plus a copy of Star Ocean: Second Story that's missing the front cover that I probably should have passed on). Tron Bonne is my best find at a place like that.

Most of them are in pretty good shape, too.

Tron Bonne is going up on eBay eventually and in the shape its in should probably get me $150.
Tron Bonne goes for $1000 now? Maybe I should have held on to it.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
1822D562-5231-433A-9DA5-3057C695CD02.jpeg

My current Get rich quick scheme. Buying cases of these WWE elite figure. Each case has two DDP (selling between $32-40) , two regular Beefcake ($25ish), and a variant Beefcake ($35-$40). Getting such a stupid deal on them.

Goodwill is pretty much dead for me. Been buying more at a store that buys truckloads of unsold merchandise (usually target), and sells at great prices.