Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Top Gun: Maverick

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't find the thread and I'm not wasting time searching tbh.

Very good film! All the speed, flying jets, emotional scenes, and genuine audience laughs(!) you wanted.

Only a few things didn't work for me, namely the cover of Highway to the Danger Zone which just didn't land, and it did feel like the film was struggling to hit all of the thematic emotional elements it wanted. At times it felt like subplots were "remembered" in the script and appeared but the pace never felt slow. Not nearly as "gay" as the original but it had the right emotional element to make you (mostly?) care about the newly introduced characters.

The action was just as intense if not more-so than the original and this movie updated on the original setting up flaws and scenarios to help heighten the tension when they were inevitably called back to.

I don't know if the soundtrack will be as iconic but if you loved the first movie, this basically takes that entire blueprint, copies & pastes it expertly, then just ratchets up the action and story. One of the few times a movie didn't try to fix what was broken and copied but improved on the original.

9/10

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also saw it over the weekend. Originally figured I’d end up waiting for it to be available for streaming at home, but after universal praise, felt like I had to go see it.

Glad I did because I thought it was great and well worth seeing in IMAX. I don’t want to compare it a ton to the original since that’s such a relic of its time, but this easily holds its own and ups the action. Solid recommendation!

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saw Top Gun: Maverick in IMAX at the AMC last night and was quite satisfied. I didn't compare it to the original much for the same reasons; this one is good for 2022 like the original was for 1986.

Also:
FOOTBALL SCENE!

Reaction score
Saw Top Gun: Maverick in IMAX at the AMC last night and was quite satisfied. I didn't compare it to the original much for the same reasons; this one is good for 2022 like the original was for 1986.

Also:
FOOTBALL SCENE!

spoiler]

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I'm with everyone in that this film surprisingly hit a bunch of positive notes tenfold. Dare I say this was so much better than the original Top Gun, which really doesn't hold up too well in retrospect. Particularly, the pace and editing in this was so much more put together better than the first film. I wonder if they shifted and edited further during covid times since this was just about to be released summer of 2020, and then covid happened and it was shelved for two years. It's very possible they put more effort into things with the extra time, maybe even did some reshoots, etc? Whatever the case, great sequel that really had more going for it than the original. Given how it's done in the box office, they gotta be trilogying this one.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bumping this because it's set to top $700 Million domestically, which is a bonkers number.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't remember the last non super hero or Star Wars movie had this much staying power. Probably have to go back to Avatar? It came out on Memorial Day weekend and it still in the top 5 on Labor Day weekend.