Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Vale vs Movies

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Whoa. I have to check that out. It could be some quality awkward unintentional humor.

Speaking of:

--River's Edge was a movie I'd wanted to see for a while now for a lot of reasons. Based on the reviews of the time, it not only doesn't hold up but is the direct opposite of what people were saying. Dennis Hopper is great, Daniel Roebuck should have broken out based on his performance, and Keanu isn't even really that bad. It even has a random Taylor Negron appearance! But, and I say this as someone who enjoys the hell out of the guy, Crispin Glover ruins this movie. He's absolutely hilarious as only he can be, making him 100% wrong for the role, and his performance needs to be seen because it just is from something else entirely. As a movie itself the writing isn't very good, the characters are all awful, there's some laughably bad moments straight out of stuff like Bully, and the movie can't decide what tone it wants. It feels like something David Lynch could've made perfectly, though, because it has moments where the tone feels very Lynch to me. But man. Hopper as a paranoid murderer on the run with one leg in love with a sex doll, though, is wonderful.

--Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is a masterpiece no one talks about. I get it, it's one of the most bleak and darkest things you can find, but Rooker is awesome and it hits all the notes better than you could hope. Not many movies make me feel that level of gross, and lord knows I've seen movies that make the subject matter infinitely more fucked up, but the performance and tone of the whole thing is what makes it. By far the most unlikely prequel Mallrats has.

--So there's True Grit in 1969 (one of my lifelong favorites), its sequel Rooster Cogburn in 1976, and then True Grit in 2010. No one talks about the 1978 TV movie sequel True Grit: A Further Adventure starring Warren Oates. This is extremely justified and I feel an asshole for finally watching it after all these years.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Donnie Darko still isn't good and I shouldn't have tried again after 20 years. I will never understand why it has remained a film of interest.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Swayze rules in it though and I wish there was a movie about him instead.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Rivers edge is good imo. The stuff with the toxic home environment and specifically Keanu beating the shit out of his little sibling was pretty real to me. I thought the stuff about guys wanting to protect their friend no matter how awful he is was pretty accurate and well executed as well.

Valeyard

Reaction score
See I just had a lot of trouble getting past Glover ruining the tone. There's times where they try to make it sound like he's this intimidating leader of the group, too, which just doesn't work at all. The stuff with Keanu's family was great but Keanu wasn't good enough to make it as powerful as it could've been. The stuff that worked worked really well but a lot didn't for me. But maybe that's because I've seen stuff like Mean Creek where that kind of story was done better.

Daniel Roebuck should've become a star instead of just a character actor. Like a few years later, he should've been starring in real dramas, not being the sidekick on Matlock.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Daniel Roebuck should've become a star instead of just a character actor. Like a few years later, he should've been starring in real dramas, not being the sidekick on Matlock.
Seems like he kind of preferred the TV life looking at his filmography. Also being on a show for 55 episodes in that era wasn't a bad way to get a steady paycheck (along with 13 episodes in 1990 of Capital News which had quite the cast: Lloyd Bridges, Roebuck, Helen Slater, Kurt Fuller, Wendell Pierce).

Valeyard

Reaction score
Haggard is weirdly better than I remember. There's a charm to it I think I like much more now, but I also haven't seen it in 20 years and went in with exceptionally low expectations. Ryan Dunn could've broken out in another world. Dude had something.

Valeyard

Reaction score
p42024_p_v7_aa.jpg

It's depressing how bad a movie revolving around the premise of a talking vagina can be.

Candice Rialson tho