Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Veggie Burgers/Catch All Vegetarianism/Veganism thread.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So they've been making great strides with veggie burgers the last year or two so I wanted to start a thread. I definitely aspire to be veg or at least, cut out eating beef since it's so bad for the environment (and the cows).

Had a Beyond burger for the first time on Monday and great googly moogly, it was something else. I'd never had a veggie burger that had such a similar mouth feel and texture of beef burger. Granted it was texture of a frozen cafeteria patty burger but still damn damn close approximation of actual beef. It wasn't best tasting veggie burger (Although certainly, it was a real good one) but it was best at approximating the real thing.

I legit like the taste though of a lot of veggie burgers. A bean patty really makes it seem like halfway between a burger and a burrito. Trader Joe's has a lot of good veggie burger options.

I still haven't had the Impossible Whopper since everyone I know hates Burger King but I'm very interested in giving it a try and hear great things.

I'm also very excited at the prospects of LAB GROWN BEEF in the next few years.

Anyone else enjoy vegetarian/vegan burgers?

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm a big veggie burger eater. I love Beyond Burgers but they're so dang expensive. I do want to try the Impossible Whopper.

I also refer to TJ's for my veggie burger supply. The Dr. Prager ones are on point.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I like veggie burgers that aren't trying to be meat. We eat a lot of black bean burgers and sometimes beet burgers.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Beyond Burgers are, unfortunately, the first casualty of my girlfriend's food avoidance during the pregnancy. Season them with some black pepper and a dab of A1 before pan-frying and HOLY SHIIIIIIT they're good.

Impossible burgers are...meh. The texture is basic fake beef and the flavor is fine if you season it right.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also enjoy the black bean burgers. I will usually get the Boca burgers and Spicy Chicken Patties if I have an at home hankering because I like how low calorie they are. Maybe not the best "closest to beef patty" taste, but I usually have a shit ton of other toppings on it so its not too noticeable.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Your Pie pizza chain had Impossible brand burger meat for their pizza of the month last year and it was AMAZING. It was a freaking bacon cheeseburger pizza with no dairy (or beef) at all. It would have been straight vegan had I not added bacon. I haven't had the Whopper yet, but Impossible already established a good precedent with me.

I used to get black bean burgers at Sams Club. Honestly, couldn't tell they weren't beef either. I forget the brand but it was a bland black box in the freezer section.

I'm not vegan, but being dairy free, there's a lot of crossover recipes so it doesn't bother me to pick up a vegan option here and there.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Morningstar Farms FTW. Lots of good varieties and their Chorizo veggie crumbles are tits

I haven't tried Beyond or Incrediburgers or any of these new ones

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had a Beyond Burger again on Monday. Significantly less good the 2nd time (although still pretty good) but I blame it mostly on toppings. First time I had traditional burger toppings (LTO, Thousand Island Dressing, pickles). This time I had a burger with blue cheese crumbles and truffle oil and yeah. I think those kind of toppings require actual beef burger for optimum taste.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Who here fucks with portabella mushroom burgers? Had a really good tasting one last night at a new vegan fast food place called Copper Branch.

It's kind of unfair to call it a burger. It's just a big ass mushroom on a burger bun. Flavor wise, they're usually fantastic. This one had some great, really realistic tasting vegan American cheese and good toasted bun. Texture wise, these things are untenable! I always run out of bun with like a third of the burger left and am left holding a slimy ass mushroom with whatever sauce and topping.

Surely technology can (and perhaps has) come up with a way to dice up those mushrooms and bind them together. It's such a frustrating sandwich to eat that I always forget until the 2 or 3 times a year I get it.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Boomer Kamala said:
Who here fucks with portabella mushroom burgers? Had a really good tasting one last night at a new vegan fast food place called Copper Branch.

It's kind of unfair to call it a burger. It's just a big ass mushroom on a burger bun. Flavor wise, they're usually fantastic. This one had some great, really realistic tasting vegan American cheese and good toasted bun. Texture wise, these things are untenable! I always run out of bun with like a third of the burger left and am left holding a slimy ass mushroom with whatever sauce and topping.

Surely technology can (and perhaps has) come up with a way to dice up those mushrooms and bind them together. It's such a frustrating sandwich to eat that I always forget until the 2 or 3 times a year I get it.

I hate mushrooms so this whole post repulsed me.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Boomer Kamala said:

Man, every time I eat mushrooms as the central focus of the dish, it jacks with my system. A little mushroom in Italian, salad, or on steak, I'm good. I eat one of these new fangled mushroom as a giant edible bowl or substitute burger, you're not seeing me for a few hours.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Art of Rasslin' said:
how much do the fast food vegan/veggie burgers usually cost for you guys? around here it feels expensive.

I think they're a little bit more ($1 to $2) at a fast food place but I notice no price difference at sit down casual restaurant between them and regular burgers. Unless it's a Beyond or Impossible Burger then sometimes there is an upcharge.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Local Fox affiliate evening news actually did a segment on the "Impossible" products. It was muted, so I didn't hear the dialogue, but lots of footage of the production was shown in the montage.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried both the Beyond and Impossible burgers in the past couple of weeks. I actually liked the Impossible burger a lot. Wild.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Had these tonight... tasted pretty good but holy spicy, Batman! I only had 4-5 and was already running for a glass of milk

GUEST_784dc9cc-ce8d-4ad4-9f72-217bbd2f7025

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had the Beyond homestyle tenders the other night.

The best damn faux chicken tenders had. I was skeptical cause they kind of look like stereotypical fake tendies but the texture is really, really good for a fake tender. And the best part is its half the price of the Impossible Nuggets.