Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Venom

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
HSJ said:
I’m not the only one that thinks this looks laughably bad, right? Like I expect this to bomb and people make fun of it like the GL and F4 movies.

Yeah. I feel like this could go down as an all time bad one. I like Hardy, but nothing about this looks any good

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how you make one of these and make people happy. They cast extremely well so I'll give it a chance, but the double symbiote is one of the dumbest things that could have been done.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This will get the JL treatment from me - wait till my friend puts it on his Plex and enjoy fast-forwarding through it.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
As expected, the bad reviews are coming out. Hardy is getting praised for his performance but overall the comments point to the film being a mess of plot holes and feeling like a pre-MCU level comic movie.

Shooting Star

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really wanted this to be good but apparently that will just not be the case. I will still catch it when it is late into the run and theaters start doing half price though.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
So THIS fully explains the poor reviews

https://www.cbr.com/lady-gaga-fans-fake-venom-reviews/

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I saw some of this. But trolls don’t write reviews for main publications. The trailer made this look like a total mess. Which is what I’m hearing.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The average score is a miserable 4.3/10 from 51 Critics already. Not sure you can just blame that on Lady Gaga fans trying to sabotage the movie for the very well reviewed 'A Star Is Born', which is getting an 8.1 off 146 reviews by comparison.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was joking on the Lady Gaga sabtoge angle... just found it funny.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn, some Little Monsters out to defend the Gaga sabotaging the next Fantastic Four level great superhero movie.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Saw this last night. For my own personal tastes, I'd say thumbs in the middle. I can see why people disliked this and don't know how much staying power it has. I went in with low expectations and was entertained enough.

My main takeaway, which it seems came through in many of the reviews, is the movie seemed like it couldn't figure out its own identity. There were flashes of what I wanted from a Venom solo movie and Hardy is always committed and entertaining.

There were scenes that could've played and worked as a horror movie but they toned it down to sell tickets to kids. Fine. I don't need buckets of blood or gratuitous violence but they'd do something so they could let kids in but at the same time do it in ways that will surely give nightmares still.

Then there were stretches that straight up made the movie feel like a comic movie from 15 years ago. Specifically
early in the transformation. I am thinking specifically that whole lobster tank scene and the motorcycle chase/transformation scene just felt like one of the mid-2000s Fantastic Four style of movie

Definitely felt like a movie that had so much set up stuff that the sequel could and should be better. I feel like if they commit to a sequel, it isn't a total lost cause because there was some decent stuff involved and should be in the sequel based on the teases. But they need someone to overhaul to emphasis what worked in this stuff and get rid of the equal amount of stuff that did not - commit the film to having a real identity.

I think I can say this without it truly being spoiler but this did have one of my pet peeves of including the final scene of the film in several trailers.

If you haven't seen it yet, there is a mid-credits which is great and exactly what I thought it was going to be. Then there is a scene at the very end that surprised me.

I'm excited for that Spider-verse film but it seemed odd to tag the tease at the end of this one. A lot of that stuff is in the trailer for that film was in this little "prequel" - this just seemed like another one of Sony's problem of shoehornign something in for the sake of shoehorning it in.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought this was a perfectly fun little movie. There was nothing special about it but for a movie I expected to be shit it was good. Tom Hardy was funny, The symbiote looked cool and was used in fun ways, and they had some decent action scenes. They also didn't just retell some old Venom story but at the same time didn't insult the source material. I even got my

Stan Lee cameo!
so I was happy enough with this. It isn't anything on any of the MCU movies we've seen in recent years but it's a fine enough way to spend some time for fans.

Staff member
Reaction score
The villain is the only real problem. It is also a gigantic problem. The sequel is going to be a lot better as a result of the obvious changes.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i really didnt dislike the villian anywhere much as you, CERTAINLY not to the level of thinking he was as bad as jesse eisenberg's lex luthor. He wasn't good but I think that's a crazy comparison NO OFFENSE. Lex was a total cartoon both in mannerisms and in appearance. I just found this guy bland. "oh another villian who thinks mankind has destroyed the planet and we're all doomed and doesn't care about ethics in science". Dime a dozen.

Staff member
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
i really didnt dislike the villian anywhere much as you, CERTAINLY not to the level of thinking he was as bad as jesse eisenberg's lex luthor. He wasn't good but I think that's a crazy comparison NO OFFENSE. Lex was a total cartoon both in mannerisms and in appearance. I just found this guy bland. "oh another villian who thinks mankind has destroyed the planet and we're all doomed and doesn't care about ethics in science". Dime a dozen.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/venom-review-movie-tom-hardy-marvel-richard-roeper/

It wasn't just me.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
no fact said:
Who was the villain?

Carlton Drake of the Life Foundation but unlike the comics, he acquires the Symbiote Riot

Chosun One

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought the movie itself was terrible, but I really enjoyed it, if that makes sense. The dialogue between the human characters was bland, the dialogue between Eddie and Venom was a little over the top (but funny in parts). It seemed like a hastily thrown together 80s action movie, just with current CGI. I'd totally watch it again for a laugh, and I'll see the sequel if one is made, based on what was set up.

Staff member
Reaction score
The sequel will be good considering who the villain is going to be played by and the likelihood the director will change.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't see how you can do a sequel with that villain and not go for an R rating.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The first half was awful up until Tom Hardy gets the symbiote. Then, it became a pretty fun by the numbers superhero movie. Hardy was great. I liked Michelle Williams as well I thought Riz Ahmed was awful and bland, but not as bad as Eisenberg. But, still one of the worst villains in a super hero movie. Nothing mind blowing, but a fun popcorn movie. I do think the sequel will be great and
I loved the little bit of Woody Harrelson as Carnage that we saw.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-sequel-delays-release-2021-gets-official-title-1291125

Sequel delayed until 2021 and the official title is Venom: Let There Be Carnage.

I finally watched this a few months ago and was very, very underwhelmed.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
It looks like this is where sequel discussion has stayed. Official new release date is now September 24th.