Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Was Marilyn Manson the greatest artist of our times?

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
"Heart-Shaped Glasses" is a good song but the rest of the album is kind of a slog. The sound is somewhat interesting as it's the only Manson album that can't be remotely classified as metal and hinted at a new alt-rock direction that he abandoned when he dumped Tim Skold and got back with Twiggy. But most of the songs are boring and unmemorable. The High End of Low has a few good tracks but goes on way too long.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
His new album came out today and it's not bad. Closer to The Pale Emperor than Heaven Upside Down. It's really not very country-ish but has very little in the way of the industrial touches that have defined much of his work. More piano than any other Manson album. If you're not tired of his mopey ballads check it out. I doubt I'll listen to the album in full again, however.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
His music played an important role in a lot of peoples' developments. He never was my specific thing but a LOT of my peers really connected with him. Hell in my 30s I have friends that still pick MM songs @ Karaoke* and sing with such intensity it's great to see them become so absorbed by their favorite.

Not one single person from my high school committed any sort of horrible thing the Christians were screaming about, not that I believed any of the shit. Dude has his place. More power to him, he has his fan base, has his success, and gets to see the world.

*once a year a group of 15 of us rent out the karaoke room of a sushi place. For every $100 your group spends on food you get an hour in the room, up to 4 hours. We use up all four hours every time.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only weird thing I ever saw at one of his shows was a too-exuberant fan burning the palm of his own hand with a cigarette lighter in tribute to Mr Manson.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

Well, there it is. I’ve been expecting this for three years now, but it didn’t stop me from seeing him live with Zombie two summers ago, so I guess I’m part of the problem too. Does anyone have Manson in their 2021 death pool? I wouldn’t be shocked if he OD’s, accidentally or not.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That whole relationship seemed offputting from the beginning. Evan didn't seem happy anytime I saw them together and there's the reason why. Definitely not a surprise that he's an abuser and yeah I could see him not making it the rest of the year.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
That whole relationship seemed offputting from the beginning. Evan didn't seem happy anytime I saw them together and there's the reason why. Definitely not a surprise that he's an abuser and yeah I could see him not making it the rest of the year.
This for me too. Always felt like an odd pairing and it wouldn't surprise me that he'd be an abuser with Rose McGowan prior to ERW either.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean even Rolling Stone in the late '00s really seemed to dance around the "Gee! This relationship seems really weird and unhealthy." so this is probably the least surprising abuse revelation ever.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
She was barely 18 when they got together. No shock he was a shithead towards her.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
We gotta be inching towards the groupie tape coming out. Then he's straight dead.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Well it IS a long, hard road to hell so

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

I don’t think he’s the kind of guy to go to prison quietly. If he’s arrested they better put him in custody. He seems like the kind of guy who thinks going out Columbine style would fulfill the title of this thread and help his art come full circle.

but with the amount of accusers and lengthy timeline, he will be able to get convicted of something for sure. They better just get him locked up before he takes out a bunch of people.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Always figured he'd have a come-to-Jesus moment, but this is not the path I would have predicted.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Really a Kanye-produced rock/metal album is more interesting than any other hypothetical record in the genre.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Only a true disciple of Satan would have his ribs removed so he could suck his own dick. That behavior is against God and nature imo

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just assumed he'd go full Alice Cooper Republican at some point. Going full Christian and hanging out with Kanye and Bieber in a cynical attempt at deflecting all the accusations by several women of serial physical and emotional abuse? No, I didn't see that coming, even though it fits the current cultural climate.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I don't think he's trying to sincerely portray himself as a Christian convert. I just think he finds the whole thing funny and subversive, and I'm sure in some way he sees it as a repudiation of all his accusers. Besides it's not like he has any other showbiz gigs lined up.