Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Kamala, you are hopped up on beer. The NXT In Your House PPV is next week

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • We have run out of things to talk about

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Hakushi was the best and probably close to the top of my list of blown chances during that era. Dude had killer matches, star presence, and carried Bret's severed head in a bag.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The '94 Rumble casket match rules. Yoko and the Headshrinkers giving Taker last rights and Yoko just kicking him casually into the casket makes it worth everything people bitch about. That Taker promo is straight Warrior though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Every Raw that had Heenan was gold. Good or bad, he made it. For trying to spin a "Shawn is gay" chant into "Shawn is great," just alone, makes 1993 Brain criminally underrated as a personality. He was on fire that year.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kinda funny they started that Superstars intro and then not too long after they couldn't use it anymore because of the WCW departures. Super catchy tune though

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They really did revamp their tv around Sept. 95. Challenge was cancelled. Superstars got a new intro and JR joins Vince and Lawler on commentary. Action Zone becomes a studio/recap show hosted by Todd and Dok. Raw gets the new intro on the roof of Titan Towers and goes away from squash matches to compete with Nitro.

All that and yet everything still felt pretty much the same.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mini poll----do people really like '95 WWF better than '94 WWF? Wrestling Twitter has a loud contingent of '95 WWF stans but I thought it was mostly irony based but on a BTS I was listening to recent, Zellner was loudly droning on about how horrible '94 was and how '95 felt like a big improvement.

Aesthetically, for reasons @strummer mentioned, '95 LOOKS better but Idk if I buy the argument. I'm heavily biased cause '94 was the year I got into wrestling but I don't think it got really crappy until the last quarter to a third of the year whereas, I think '95, it only began showing signs of improvement in the last quarter to third of the year!

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think 1995 was underrated from an in-ring perspective (at least when compared to its reputation) but 1994 is the better overall year. Better matches, better feuds, better events. 1995 had more with the onset of IYH, but the quality of those cards, outside of a match or two here and there, were pretty bad.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Raw gets *really* bad in 94 around the time the steroid trial starts and Gorilla briefly takes over the announcing. Gorilla was so bad they had to rehire Jim Ross

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. '95 had the detriment of being the first year of the monthly PPV era. If '95 had only five PPVs, even taking in the assy KOTR into account, I might say it was better than '94.

Shudder to think how bad some of the In Your Houses would have been if they started a year earlier. At least, @The Valeyard 's guy Adam Bomb would have gotten more shine.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It would've forced their hand in developing new guys, though. Real chance Owen gets the belt, probably. Rotation of Harts and Clique guys on top with Bomb or Crush or Luger or whoever going in and out would've been badass.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Make it Volkoff and Bundy against Virgil and Sparky Plugg and I'm there.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It would've forced their hand in developing new guys, though. Real chance Owen gets the belt, probably. Rotation of Harts and Clique guys on top with Bomb or Crush or Luger or whoever going in and out would've been badass.
Counterpoint: Multiple Lex Luger Vs Tatanka matches.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
94 wins it for me. Bret as the fighting champ is better than Diesel power.

Bret/Owen had a hell of a story arch going. Razor is working with the Shawn/Diesel instead of Double J. The Rise of Mr. Backlund.
Wrestlemania 10 blows away 11. Summerslam 94 had the wacky Taker stuff and Bret/Owen, 95 was so bad they re-booked the show in storyline!
Capt. Lou, Piper and Macho Man played big roles at times, which appealed to young Brody who had loved them 9 years earlier. Etc.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
'94 really only plummets---when Diesel wins the championship. And '95 only really gets good when Diesel starts looking vulnerable instead of being the GenX Hogan.

I'm a Kevin Nash Guy but oh boy, did WWF utilize his best qualities as a top guy.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How much better would '94-'95 WWF have been if we had gotten the Giant Fonzalez character, @BruiserBrody and @The Valeyard ?

Might've caused him to miss out on his iconic guest appearance as The Pelican Man on Baywatch though.

Edit- The Pelican Man episode came out in October '93. Shit. WHY DID WWF RELEASE HIM AT THE HEIGHT (heh) OF HIS GLORY!?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s really stunning Hogan didn’t get him back to WCW in 94.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that Giant Gonzalez was rumored to be in Dungeon of Doom at some point. His name has come up on several '95 based episodes of 83 Weeks (followed by Bischoff yelling about Dave Meltzer for 10 minutes). IIRC, idea of him tag teaming with Ron Reis even came up.