Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

Was The New Generation of WWE Underrated?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Kamala, you are hopped up on beer. The NXT In Your House PPV is next week

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • We have run out of things to talk about

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gonzalez was the original choice to play the YehTAY but couldn't make it into the country due to visa issues I believe

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. That triggered my memory. Gonzalez was going to be THE YEH-TAY and Ron Reis was going to play the Super Ninja character that he played after everyone died laughing at THE YEH-TAY'S debut at Halloween Havoc '95.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You're spurring my memory even more. The 83 Weeks on that show mentioned that they originally planned on having a 7 footer in each ring (Giant, The YEH-TAY/Giant Super Ninja, and Giant Gonzalez). Would a second Gonzale really have been the worst signing WCW made during the Monday Night Wars? Erm...maybe.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Hogan got him in Thunder In Paradise 2 which still counts. I think Tugboat is in it too, actually.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Natural Disasters career trajectory in '93-'94 is confusing as hell. Earthquake is gone but Typhoon is still here now Typhoon is off to WCW to work for his brother in law (watch your step!) but Earthquake's come back and has his biggest push since he injured Hogan. No wait. We forgot to sign him to a contract and now he's gonna go back to work in Japan then with Hogan again and I guess here's Typhoon.

Typhoon's brief Summer '94 run is especially weird. It's super odd to see him getting an IC Title shot against Diesel and teaming with Mabel against Yokozuna & Crush. It's like "So we're gonna pretend he didn't wear a stormtrooper helmet and crash through a wall on the other channel? Just gonna let him do some goofy white guy grooving with Mabel and pretend it didn't happen!"

Looking at Typhoon's '94 stint on Cawthon's, I found this card. Not even the ELITIST NEW ENGLAND MEN of Cape Cod deserve this card. FACE DOINK IN THE MAIN EVENT!?

WWF @ Hyannis, MA - August 14, 1994 (2,300; sell out)
Adam Bomb defeated Kwang
Nikolai Volkoff defeated Virgil; Virgil was injured in the bout and taken to the hospital immediatelly following it
WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze defeated Bull Nakano
Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Typhoon
The Smoking Gunns defeated Well Dunn
Doink the Clown defeated Jeff Jarrett

Valeyard

Reaction score
Weird WCW didn't snap Ottman up and bring the Disasters back in the Dungeon of Doom. Mega Powers/SharkBoat would've been extremely in character.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Considering his connections and that he's universally considered to be a sweetheart, it is amazing he didn't get another run in WCW after '94. Maybe he was smart with his money and could afford to work the indy circuit. Or maybe that Shockmaster debacle ruined him forever.

Atmosphere must've been electric for Typhoon Vs Bastion Booger.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I know it was a punishment thing for some reason but it's funny Neidhart didn't get a run other than the Who? gimmick. He'd have been a perfect Cornette heavy and exactly the right guy to put over face Yoko or Ahmed or whoever.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF's constant humiliation of Neidhart stems from WWF fronting the bill and the legal beagle manpower for a lawsuit that Neidhart filed against Continental Airlines (now defunct) and Neidhart never paid them back after he won the lawsuit.

I think it's a rare case where I (and I think even Bret) *kind* of side with Vince and WWF in their dispute with a Hart Family member? They gave Anvil plenty of opportunities and it seemed like he constantly bungled them.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Here's my shot at IYH '94. I set the rules as I can only use the real roster (No SMW/ECW/USWA signings) and I have to keep the "real" big 4 PPV booking intact.

Feb 94

World champ Yoko vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage (Crush banned from ringside, Started from Fuji and Corny ordering Yoko to attack Savage on RAW to soften him up for Crush. Jack Tunney ordered the match to spite the heels.)

(I thought about hot shotting Quake into the challenger spot, or maybe Tatanka so Yoko could get a W heading into headlining Mania, but that's no buys).

Lex Luger/Bret Hart vs. WWF Tag champions Quebecers (Luger/Hart will toss a coin on RAW 24 hours after this match to determine who goes after the World champ first at Mania . Match is non-title stemming from the Hart Bros falling short at the Royal Rumble.)

Blayze vs Debbie Combs (Token women's title match to pretend WWF is actually pushing the division)

Tatanka vs. IRS (Stemming from IRS talking his usual spiel about Taxes and how Tatanka is cheating the IRS on his headdress tax. Yes this happened IRL.)

Steiners vs Razor/123 Kid (I was going to book Steiners vs 123 Kid/Marty since Marty and the Kid had just won and lost the tag belts, but the Kid got hurt and Marty got canned. The Kid came back Feb 21, so he made the cut. Oh the life of a booker).
(Razor is having his issues with IC title claimant HBK. Razor and the Kid get a tag title shot on RAW (Razor’s a sub for Marty) and Shawn/Diesel run interference. Tunney decides Razor/Kid and the Steiners both have good claims for a rematch with the champs, so they will face off with a future tag title shot on the line.)

Doink vs Bigelow (Feuding already for months)

Quake/Men on a Mission vs Head Shrinkers/Kwang (Quake has just returned and MOM needs a heater to start building them up for Mania.)

RESULTS:

>Yoko and Savage fight to a No Contest. Bret and Luger come to ringside to watch intently. Eventually Cornette and Fuji prompt Bret and Lex to get into a shoving match, Yoko winds up involved, and with the match tossed out, Crush attacked Savage. Bret and Luger make the save, and begrudgingly shake hands.

>Blayze beats Combs clean in 3 mins.

>While Bret has Jacques in the Sharpshooter, Lex tries to clothesline Pierre. Pierre ducks and Luger runs into Hart. The faces argue while the heels flee. Men on a Mission cut them off in the aisle. Luger and Bret attack them in the aisle and fight the champs to back. Match is ruled a CO win for Luger/Bret.

>Tatanka pins IRS. IRS interrupts a post match locker room interview, prompting a pull apart featuring the 8 other wrestlers set for the Mania ten man tag match.

>MOM and Quake beat the heels in short order to get them some shine for Mania.

>Bigelow pins Doink after Luna chokes Dink, distracting Doink long enough to eat an enziguri and a splash for the pin.

>Rick Steiner attempts a belly to belly suplex on the Kid on the top rope, w/Razor sneaking in and hitting a Razor’s Edge. The Kid then connects with a diving leg drop to score the pin. The Steiners are having issues with the office, so it’s time to use them to elevate others who plan to stick around and draw money.

March 94

Wrestlemania 10

Owen over Bret.

Bigelow/Luna beat Doink/Dink.

Macho Man bested Crush.

Alundra Blayze pinned Lelani Kai

Men on the Mission won via CO over the Quebecers

Lex Luger was DQ’d against Yoko.

Quake smashed Adam Bomb.

Razor topped HBK in a ladder match.

Bret won the world title from Yoko.

April 94

Bret Hart vs. “Macho Man” Randy Savage (Macho Man got a big win at WM, and he and Bret have great mutual admiration for one another. This also allows Owen and Yoko to bitch about not getting the match against Hart.)

Tatanka vs IRS (More fucking tax talk IRL. Good feud guys. IRS tore up the headdress to add some heat to this thing, so we're making the bout an Indian strap match)

Doink vs Double J (Doink shenanigans kicked this feud off on Superstars IRL)

IC Champ Razor vs Diesel (An off shoot of the HBK program.)

Quebecers vs Mabel and Quake (Mo’s hurt so the WM rematch gets a twist. I almost went with The 123 Kid and Sparky Plugg getting the shot here as the Kid was still working the tag title angle on RAW, but I’ll let that program be RAW exclusive for now.)

Steiners vs. Crush and Yoko (Both heels need a rebound win, and the Steiners are still in limbo as they work towards escaping the WWF, so we’ll work a little angle here to set this up.)

Lex Luger vs Bigelow (Sub for Mr. Perfect) (Dibiase teased interest in Luger on a recent RAW, Mr. Perfect refused to come back and was announced as suspended IRL)

Owen is refusing to be on the PPV since he was not granted number 1 contendership despite beating Bret at Mania. Owen also injured Mo during a episode of TV, breaking up MOM for now.)

RESULTS:

>Macho takes Bret to the limit, but Bret beats him clean via a crucifix after 20 mins. Owen shows up after the match and glares at Bret from afar as Macho and the Hitman embrace to end the show.

>Tatanka wins via the usual strap match stuff.

>Double J is pinned after pint sized interference. JJ whacks Dink with the guitar after the match to keep his heat.

>Diesel wins the title here instead of on Superstars like IRL.

>Johnny Polo gets his team DQ’d. Quake dances to Oscar's rap post match and sets off a new boom period.

>The Steiners fall victim to salt and other fuckery and eat the pin. This is their final appearance.

>Luger bests Bigelow clean as the announcers spend the match speculating on Ted Dibiase and talking up Luna’s recent incidents with Alundra Blayze.

The Headshrinkers, now with Capt Lou Albano, beat the Quebecers the next night on RAW for the tag titles.

May 94

Bret Hart vs Yokozuna (Yoko's WM rematch. Feels like a weaker PPV main event, but I kind of need to save the steel cage stip for Summerslam.)

Blayze vs Luna (Feud has been built up on TV for 2 months)

123 Kid vs Diesel (Razor's buddy goes for the gold)

Typhoon vs Crush (Quake was taken out by Yoko/Crush at a house show, and Typhoon was brought in to sub for him. This one is going to be awful, but Uncle Fred is going to try to avenge his former partner.)

Lex Luger vs Adam Bomb (Perfect messed up Luger’s planned feud, so the WWF pivoted to a Crush feud. Since I need to keep Crush “strong” for a bit more, I am letting that feud ride out at house shows. Luger needs a decent PPV win to keep trying to rebound from blowing another title shot at Mania.)

Headshrinkers vs Quebecers (Title change rematch)

A petulant Owen Hart declares he will one up his brother by beating two men in one night. Details are sketchy heading into the PPV.

Doink/Bushwackers vs. Heavenly Bodies/Double J (The Doink/JJ feud continues, so I added more BS to it so it may accidentally be fun to watch.)

RESULTS:

>Hart wins clean via pinfall. Owen once again seethes elsewhere.

>Blayze wins by DQ.

>Diesel smashes the Kid with the powerbomb. HBK cheats early, bringing out Razor. Eventually the ref sends both men to the back.

>Crush wins clean. Luger chases him off from delivering further injury.

>Luger wins after Kwang accidentally blinds Bomb with mist.

>Shrinkers win clean again.

>Owen comes down and declares he has set up 2 challengers to prove he can win two matches in one night. First up is Koko B Ware. The announcers play up their tag team past, but the fans know this is a squash. Owen wins in a few mins and revels in locking in a long Sharpshooter. Jack Tunney comes down the aisle. He declares Owen is not a match maker, so who ever he thinks is coming next is canceled. Instead Owen will face a former WWF champion…. Bob Backlund.

Backlund gives Owen a strong run for 10 mins or so but Owen cradles him for a cheap win.

>JJ pins Luke to give the heels the duke after lots of silliness.

I will tackle the 2nd half of 94 tonight.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Henry Godwinn: Upper Midcarder is the best case I can make for the Adam Bombs of the time getting fucked over. Those next week hypes were so great though.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Henry Godwinn: Upper Midcarder is the best case I can make for the Adam Bombs of the time getting fucked over. Those next week hypes were so great though.
You think Vince realized he lost the plot when in the summer of 96 the NWO was all over WCW TV and on Superstars Todd P was screaming about Duke the Dumpster facing TL Hopper in a "Good Housekeeping" match...next week on Dub-a-ya Dub-a-ya F Superstars.

Good lord, around that same summer, I spent a few days at a cabin in the Wisconsin north woods. I remember my brother's father in law looking at me funny when I ran in the cabin almost as soon as we got there (ignoring the lake and nice weather) so I could hopefully catch Goldust vs Barry Horowitz' feature match of the week on Superstars.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Still digging into the 94 results for my lil project:
Tony DeVito & PJ Walker defeated Ricky Santana & Dave Sierra (w/ Bill Alphonso)

Did we almost get Fonzie as a manager? Sierra seems to have gotten quite a few dark matches over time. He and Santana would have been fine as a middling tag team in the trash 93-96 division.

Same card:
Virgil & Jim Powers defeated Gary Olf & Jerry Parante via disqualification. I assume Olf was supposed to be Wolf as this is the Proto-Pitbulls.

Duane Gill & Barry Hardy defeated Sassy & Akima Who?

Wrestling Challenge 7/17/94 - included an interview with Virgil: I would LOVE to know what July of 1994 Virgil was getting interview time over on the C show. He does work Volkoff a week later on RAW.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
You're spurring my memory even more. The 83 Weeks on that show mentioned that they originally planned on having a 7 footer in each ring (Giant, The YEH-TAY/Giant Super Ninja, and Giant Gonzalez). Would a second Gonzale really have been the worst signing WCW made during the Monday Night Wars? Erm...maybe.
What really strikes me is you’ve found this legit great prospect, a true monster, and you’re going to bring in someone taller than him?!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wrestling Challenge 7/17/94 - included an interview with Virgil: I would LOVE to know what July of 1994 Virgil was getting interview time over on the C show. He does work Volkoff a week later on RAW.
Yeah. He had a mini feud with the Million Dollar Corporation to end his WWF run. He does fill in for some random B Canadian shows in the Summer of ‘95 presumably cause he has a clean record , and some of the roster isn’t allowed in the country. Plus he is an affordable “name” to fill out a ‘95 WWF B House show undercard and was probably VERY available.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What really strikes me is you’ve found this legit great prospect, a true monster, and you’re going to bring in someone taller than him?!
Booking monsters for Hogan to conquer to make Hogan happy. The Giant getting over is secondary to Mr. Bollea. Sullivan wanted that booker cash and putting Hogan over kept him in the money seat.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF @ Wallingford, CT - Oakdale Theatre - August 11, 1994 (1,000)
The Smoking Gunns defeated the Executioners
Nikolai Volkoff defeated Virgil
Adam Bomb defeated Kwang
Ted Dibiase's Undertaker defeated Sparky Plugg
The 1-2-3 Kid defeated Owen Hart
Bob Backlund (sub. for Yokozuna) defeated Typhoon

WHY are we splitting crews when NO ONE is drawing!?!? Owen is doing jobs heading into Summerslam? Ottman vs Backlund sounds like a beautiful trainwreck.
Brian Lee is probably wondering if SMW is out drawing his WWF spot shows at this point.

Edit: Owen/Kid was likely the main event, so babyfaces goes over I guess.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The Executioners better have been Leslie Nielsen and George Kennedy.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am trying to book these IYH like Vince did. Since they are only 2 hours, not every star has to appear each time. Thus guys like Razor and HBK are side characters on some PPVs, with the assumption they are working dark matches to give the live crowd the full experience.

After I posted my first half, and read Kamala’s reply elsewhere, I will say having Owen vs Bret in May would have worked instead of Yoko. Owen can lose via something less than a clean manner, then rebound by winning the KOTR to set up his Summerslam push. I took a different path, perhaps not for the better. (Reminder the main PPVs are not being rebooked)

June 94

KOTR Quarter-Finals: Razor Ramon pinned Bam Bam Bigelow (w/ Luna Vachon) at 8:24 with a scoop slam off the top from behind as Bigelow attempted the moonsault
KOTR Quarter-Finals: IRS pinned Mabel (w/ Oscar) at 5:34 with his feet on the ropes
KOTR Quarter-Finals: Owen Hart pinned Tatanka at 8:18 by blocking a sunset flip
KOTR Quarter-Finals: The 1-2-3 Kid pinned Jeff Jarrett at 4:39 by blocking the figure-4 with an inside cradle; after the match, Jarrett attacked the Kid until several officials pulled him away
WWF IC Champion Diesel (w/ Shawn Michaels) defeated WWF World Champion Bret Hart (w/ Jim Neidhart) via disqualification

KOTR Semi-Finals: Razor Ramon pinned IRS at 5:13 with the Razor's Edge
KOTR Semi-Finals: Owen Hart defeated the 1-2-3 Kid via submission with the Sharpshooter at 3:37
WWF Tag Team Champions the Headshrinkers (w/ Afa & Cpt. Lou Albano) defeated Yokozuna & Crush (w/ Jim Cornette & Mr. Fuji) at 9:16 when Fatu pinned Crush with a kick to the face after Lex Luger distracted Crush from ringside
KOTR Finals: Owen Hart pinned Razor Ramon at 6:35

Piper beat Jerry Lawler

July 94

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (Continuing the story that started in Nov.)
Luger vs Crush (They pivoted to Crush when Perfect bailed, after a few months of house shows and TV angles, we blow it off here. Dibiase is still scouting Luger)
Virgil vs UnderFaker (Just designed to be a quick squash, we'd likely just promise the UnderFaker in action w/o the named opposition. Paul Bearer will be teasing on TV that he will confront the UnderFaker at the PPV, so the marks think the real Taker may come back)
Adam Bomb/Smoking Gunns vs Kwang/Well Dunn (Bomb broke up with Kwang/Harvey so we get Harvey's Henchmen vs Bomb and new pals)
Headshrinkers vs Shawn/Diesel (The Kliq has the hubris to go for more gold despite Diesel being IC champ. Shawn needs his glory too)
Razor vs Jim Neidhart (Neidhart fucked Razor in the KOTR finals)
Doink vs JJ (Still feuding on TV)
RESULTS:
>Copious interference from the Anvil finally prompts Bret to snap a bit and get DQ'd. Jim's actions prompt the Summerslam cage stips.
>Luger wins after Dibiase cheats behind Luger's back - totally stolen from Summerslam's "Sunday Night Slam" special that happened IRL in August.
>A quick squash. Bearer does some screaming. A little pyro and lightning. Ballyhoo.
>Bomb beats Dunn to keep Kwang "strong" (snicker) for house shows.
>The Kliq win the titles a few weeks early. Razor attacks the Kliq post match
>Diesel and Shawn jump Razor before he can hit a Razor's Edge to weaken him for probable IC title rematches to come.
>JJ wins via heeling to keep building him up for future IC and World title matches.

Aug 94
Undertaker beat Undertaker
Bret bests Owen in a steel cage.
JJ upsets Mabel.
Tatanka defeats Luger
Razor (w/Payton) over Diesel (w/HBK)
Blayze over Nakano
Headshrinkers double CO Bigelow/IRS

September
Bret Hart vs Backlund (Bob heeled on Bret in July)
Bulldog vs Neidhart (Summerslam aftermath)
Undertaker vs Crush (Taker wants Yoko for revenge and since Crush has ties with Fuji and helped murder Taker in Jan, he must beat him first.)
Razor/Kid vs Shawn/Diesel (Tag title match as the Razor vs Kliq angle continues.)
Duke the Dumpster vs Lawler (HAWT TV angles find a blowoff on PPV.)
Luger/Adam Bomb vs Bigelow/Tatanka (Tatanka went heel at Summerslam. Bigelow and Bomb started a program on TV. Tag match to aide in time constraints and hopefully make for a better match w/o blowing our load on the fued.)
Bob Holly vs JJ (Sparky Plugg was given his real name so he's getting a mini push. JJ is pushed guy so let's have a match!)
RESULTS:
>Bret wins by out grappling Backlund, who snaps and Chicken Wings Hart again, with Owen and Neidhart joining in the mauling before Bulldog can make the save.
>Owen cheats and Neidhart wins via the fuck finish.
>Taker via Tombstone clean. Fuji and Corny try and get Yoko to confront Taker but Bearer produces a casket and freaks Yoko into running off.
>Hopefully these 4 can tear the house down. Kid misses a diving leg drop and is powerbombed for the heel win.
>Dink appears in Duke's garbage can when Lawler goes to cheat with it. Lawler is rolled up for the pin. Doink appears and laughs at Lawler. New Generation everybody!!!
>King Kong Bundy makes his surprise return after 6 years and smashes Luger. Bomb loses the numbers game and is pinned.
>JJ wins with heel stuff. Hopefully a good match at least.

October
Bret Hart/Bulldog vs Owen/Neidhart (Calgary Stampede rules) Time to blow off Bret's part in this feud (for now) so the stips are a renamed Texas Tornado match)
Undertaker vs Yoko (Feud begin last November)
Razor vs Tatanka (Heel Tatanka has been unbeaten since the turn. Razor is IC champ.)
Sionne/Fatu vs Diesel/Shawn (Samu is gone and the Barbarian ran in on RAW to attack the Kliq IRL - tag title match)
Doink vs Lawler (Royal jesters and Kings don't always get along)
Smoking Gunns vs Heavenly Bodies (TV confrontation)
Lex Luger vs King Kong Bundy (Bundy is in the Million $ Corp and attacked Luger at the last PPV.)
RESULTS:
>Bret pins Neidhart in a match wear everyone fights in street clothes. Long brawl. Plunder.
>The Heavenly Bodies and the Million Dollar Corp run in much like at the Rumble. This time the babyfaces actually make the save en masse. Yoko flees. This prompts WWF officials to hire Chuck Norris to keep the peace at Survivor Series.
>Double J runs interference. Razor chases him to the back for the CO.
>Fatu is pinned after several near falls for the faces.
>Lawler cheats to win.
>Bodies win after Corny's racquet comes into play.
>Luger powerslams Bundy to win clean after a loaded forearm shot. We have to let Lex get some shine back.

Nov

Dec
Bob Backlund vs Diesel (Diesel was working Double J, Bundy and Backlund at the house shows. Ugly options all around. Bret is still "hurt".)
Luger vs Tatanka (Man on Man - Million Dollar Corp and Dibiase all banned from ringside.)
Undertaker vs Bam Bam Bigelow (IRS has been attacking dead people as Tax cheats for 2 months IRL. Such and epic match must be saved for the Rumble)
Razor vs Owen (JJ is being built up for the Rumble so we need something to be a good match and Owen got mixed up with Razor at SSeries, so it'll work.)
Doink vs HOG (HOG and his Hog pail vs Doink and his water pail of pranks. Smell the buyrate!)
123 Kid vs Double J (Razor's buddy vs the annoying heel bothering Razor. Roadie is now part of the JJ act.)
Bob Holly vs Hakushi (Hakushi debuts in what will hopefully be a good match)
RESULTS:
>Diesel wins clean. DIESEL POWER RARRRR!
>Luger wins clean with the loaded forearm of doom. Tatanka is moving on to the WWF tag title tourney business and Lex is moving on to limbo.
>IRS earns Bigelow the DQ.
>Razor reverses a flying crossbody into a flash pin to win what will hopefully be a good match. Razor needs a solid win. Owen is sort of also in limbo before the Yoko angle at Mania.
>HOG wins clean to give the new guy some heat.
>Roadie fucks the Kid. JJ wins.
>Hakushi wins clean to debut on a high note.
Lots of potential good matches here until that BLEH main event.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Diesel-Bob Backlund rematches were so bad that Mr. Backlund got pulled after a month or so and they turned it into Diesel Vs Jeff Jarrett IIRC. It really was a bad omen to start the DIESEL POWER era.

Tbh I don’t blame Diesel cause nobody but nobody was having good matches with Backlund in that era. He even laid down some absolute stinkers with Bret.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I've grown to love the Survivor Series match, though. But I also think the crossface chickenwing is a goat submission move.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I mean to me it perfectly sets in motion the final blowoff to Bret/Owen in a submission match at WM but it wasn't to be. Owen is so good though. No one looked more out of place than Backlund with the winged eagle belt

Valeyard

Reaction score
I remember that. The 1993 and 1994 qualifiers on Superstars felt like the first time in forever name guys had matches against each other and I was glued. It really felt like something was at stake.