Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Weekend Boxoffice numbers June 19-21

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Didn't see this weekend listed, late, but here it is.

1 (N) The Proposal $33,627,598 / $33,627,598

2 (1) The Hangover $26,753,473 /$152,817,015

3 (2) Up $23,492,677 / $226,268,932

4 (N) Year One $19,610,304 / $19,610,304

5 (3) The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 $12,034,899 / $44,067,224

6 (4) Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian $7,807,185 /$156,459,744

7 (7) Star Trek $5,511,434 / $240,255,340

8 (5) Land of the Lost $4,358,945 / $44,055,510

9 (6) Imagine That $3,290,227 / $11,541,605

10 (8) Terminator Salvation $3,284,230 / $119,727,528

11 (9) Angels & Demons $2,820,196 / $128,158,812

12 (10) Drag Me to Hell $1,974,375 / $39,234,860

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nice to see Star Trek hanging in like it is.

Year One not doing well...expected in my eyes.

Surprised Night at the Museum 2 lasted as long as it did.

This weekend's report should be interesting.

Positively Kanyon

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
I'm glad Year One is tanking... I'm sorry if I'm rocking the boat here, but I just can't stand Michael Cera. Is he like a teenage version of Keanu Reeves, with the one monotone voice and 'limited' acting abilities?

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
My knowledge of Michael Cera is limited to the trailers for Year One, so yeah fuck him. Land of the Lost just now breaking $40 million this weekend is pretty funny. With how many ads and marketing tie ins there were for it I'm guessing it's Advertising budget might be more than it grosses.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Cera is good in Arrested Development, but he's either been typecast since then or that's the ONLY character he knows how to play.

The fact that parenthesis-8-parenthesis creates a sunglasses wearing emoticon next to Terminator amuses me.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Cera has great comedic timing, but it seems like he's the exact same character in everything he does.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I've seen more ads for Year One than The Proposal (aka if not for banner ads on MySpace I'd have never seen an ad for The Proposal), so the fact that Year One tanked hard makes me a happy panda.

NOTE: I'm sure there are a shitload of ads for The Proposal, I've just been able to avoid them somehow.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I want to know how many generations of actors Sandra Bullock is going to make romantic comedies with. I guess her run isn't over.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mattdotcom said:
I want to know how many generations of actors Sandra Bullock is going to make romantic comedies with. I guess her run isn't over.
She'll be making romantic comedies even when she's using a walker.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ChrisMWaters said:
Mattdotcom said:

Yeah but what about in the future?

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
fazzle said:
ChrisMWaters said:
Mattdotcom said:

Yeah but what about in the future?

Romantic comedies as a head in a jar.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HSJ said:
Is hating on Michael Cera the new cool thing to do?

I think so. I like him quite a bit but I'm honestly a bit surprised it's taken so long for his quirky, somewhat one dimensional acting style to grind Joe Q. McInternetgeek's gears. I guess we can attribute it to his involvement with Arrested Development.

With all due respect to my good internet friend, Smues, I'm frequently surprised at how behind he is on occasion with pop culture. Year One trailers were the first time you were made aware of Michael Cera? He played prominent roles in Juno and Superbad, which were only two of the biggest hits of '07 (alongside your beloved Transformers).

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Not true. Saw the Simpsons days after transformers. Had to clean the stain off of my soul.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so annoyed by Michael Cera if he would play a different character for once. He always seems to play the awkward, soft spoken, best friend type of character who would rather blend in then stir the pot.

Beast

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yes Michael Cera was hilarious on Arrested Development, but that was the first major role any of us would have saw him in. The more I see him act, the less I care to see him again. And I know he's not the only comedic actor to have a one-note personality, but he's not funny enough in my opinion (or his movies aren't funny enough) to get away with it. It's like Jon Heder after Napoleon Dynamite, I could watch a preview for any of his upcoming movies showing him acting the goof and know I wouldn't enjoy it and I would eventually be proven right. Superbad was good, fine, but I hated Juno and then he did the same thing in Nick and Norah and now Year One and from his IMDB page it looks like he'll be doing it for the near future. Can't blame him if it makes him successful, but don't hate the Michael Cera haters.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It might not be his fault that he plays the same character over and over. Typecasting is alive and well in Hollywood, and roles in relatively low-budget stuff like Juno, Superbad, and Nick and Norah might have been all the parts he was able to get. After he'd been in a couple of hits, some executive clearly threw a buncha money at him for Year One and said "just be yourself, but as a caveman", which is apparently what they told Jack Black too. Hard to blame the guy for going with what works for him. Now if he starts taking different sorts of roles and failing spectacularly, that's something else, but I enjoy his schtick and see no reason why anyone should complain about it.

Beast

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not blaming him for taking the money that their giving him. For you to see no reason for anyone to complain is another thing. I'm annoyed by his shtick, he's an actor I used to want to pay money to see, now I don't. Whether it's his fault he's typecast or not, I have no interest in seeing him play the same bland character over and over. I've gotten to the point with Will Ferrell as well. I'm not saying Paul Rudd's characters in Role Models and I Love You Man were total opposites because they hardly were, but at least they were believable as guys I'd want to watch for 2 hrs and they made me laugh. Cera isn't either. Some like Cera, I don't.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Your go to example for actor range is Paul Rudd in Role Models and I Love You Man?

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Am I the only one that did not like Michael Cera from Arrested Development? He must have been the weakest character on the show.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Red Baron said:
Am I the only one that did not like Michael Cera from Arrested Development? He must have been the weakest character on the show.

I always thought it was Maeby.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maeby had her moments.

Lindsay: We'll split it 60-40.
Maeby: 55-55.

Maeby: Where can I find one those necklaces shaped like a "t"?
Michael: That's a cross.
Maeby: Across from where?

Plus since we're roughly the same age I could watch her develop with only a slight creepiness involved.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maeby was my least favorite but she definitely had her moments here and there. Arrested Development was a rare show without any weak characters. Heck even The Simpsons had a handful of grating minor charactes.

LPM

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maeby was great. "It's a sheh-mah-lee".

Plus the Afternoon Delight duet.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maeby was better than Lindsay. Did she serve any purpose other than for there to be a reason for Tobias to be on the show?

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
She had her moments too.

Ed Helms: "Just so you know I'm expecting multiples."
Lindsay: "I wouldn't be here if I didn't think that was a possibility."