Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WestWorld on HBO

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't be the only one watching right?

I'm enjoying it so far. Jeffrey Wright as Bernard Lowe is really good, and Hopkins is always great. I don't really dislike anyone in the cast so far and I normally have a few.

Simon Quarterman as Lee Sizemore, is really funny with his freakouts I wish he was in it a bit more. This last ep seemed to hint a bit more at what the central plot might be.

I'm waiting for it to be revealed that either EVERYONE but Hopkins is a host or Hopkins is a host, or something wacky like that.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I thought there was a thread for this already? If not though......yes I am watching it. It's incredible. So much going on, so much more to be revealed.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
CWM said:
Isn't it just a standard hour show? I don't notice it being particularly long.

I think the pilot was 1:15, but other than that it has just been the standard hour.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
LIMP KORN THE STONES said:
I like the show but each episode is too fucking long

Oz always felt the same way. Episodes were a standard time, but they got so many storylines in that they felt like they went on much longer.

I'm digging this show. Solid performances. Engrossing stories. A show like this feels like it can only run for so long. I have no idea how many seasons they're going for. I like seeing Hopkins playing a character that's a little darker again. I'm sure he's either killed his old partner or the guy is living in the world among the hosts.

And while I understand that Jimmi Simpson is a working actor, that does plenty of other parts. It's super difficult not seeing him as a McPoyle. The guy playing his buddy is pretty entertaining.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching McPoyle's buddy get his ass stomped a bit tonight was satisfying gotta say. The next episode preview looked fucking insane.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Yeah if this does go beyond S1, it feels like they are going to be leaving off on one hell of a cliffhanger because things are already rapidly building.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Vanzyxi.png

So was that Yul Brenner locked up in deep storage that we got a glimpse of?

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Just an easter egg apparently.

Everyone down with the two timelines theory that's dominating the web? I suppose it's possible... it will definitely upset my wife if McPoyle winds up being The Man in Black.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I wish I had HBO for this. I really enjoyed the movie when I was younger and it's one of the only cases where "let's remake an old movie into a TV show" sounds like it could work out of the current crop.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
This show is just so damn good. In the big reveal scene I haven't seen Anthony Hopkins look that sinister since Silence of the Lambs. It was pretty terrifying.

Also I read a headline that Season 2 has already been ordered but it might not return until 2018, DAMMIT!

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Now that early fan theory proved to be 100% true... I am seeing more and more hints that the other big one (two timelines) is also true.

Pretty nuts that Ford has an army of hosts that only respond to his voice. Could be anyone.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
Yeah I think the dual timeline theory is looking to be true.

Since hearing this theory I've been going back to try and think up any way this couldn't be true. Haven't found anything yet to suggest that. Makes sense for McPoyle to already have a relationship with Lawrence. Also helps the theory that Cyclops happens to be away from Delores while this happens

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
William & Man In Black both holster their guns on opposite sides, William on the right, MIB on the left. Not that the show couldn't offer up an explanation, but you'd think they'd wouldn't mess up a detail like that if that's where they are heading.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Spaceman Spiff said:
William & Man In Black both holster their guns on opposite sides, William on the right, MIB on the left. Not that the show couldn't offer up an explanation, but you'd think they'd wouldn't mess up a detail like that if that's where they are heading.

Or there is a reason why that hasn't been revealed. Oh wait you did suggest that, my bad.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I noticed in the reveal this week that Dolores was listed as a "prototype" when they were shuffling through the drawings, which maybe is nothing but also maybe goes to show she was from way back.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Mik said:
I noticed in the reveal this week that Dolores was listed as a "prototype" when they were shuffling through the drawings, which maybe is nothing but also maybe goes to show she was from way back.

Well she does for sure because in the very first episode wasn't it said she was the very first host in the entire park?

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think they said the first, but they did say the oldest (or 1 of the oldest).

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Well with 1 episode to go this season I think we all have a good sense of grip on what is going on, however, I do wonder what exactly what the MIB is looking to find.

It's been established that Dr Ford and Arnold had different ideas ultimately for the park and to what extent the hosts interacted with guests.

The MIB already seems to know enough to know that Arnold's "finger prints" are all over the park if you know where and what to look for.

I am also assuming the "maze" was a map to get to the underground laboratory at the church?

However at the same time, wouldn't whatever he is thinking he is going to find, likely be a threat to him as well? Maybe he doesn't care.

"Arnold's game cuts deep"

We also know the MIB's fortune alone largely kept the park running for a long time, likely in the early days the "flashback" days, which has seemed to afford the MIB a lot of leeway to go snooping and searching around since we've already seen Dr. Ford confront him and we know Dr. Ford has his ways to "convince" people....

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So did anyone catch the season finale? Holy shit.

I think most people guessed the twists, but it was still awesome to watch them come to fruition.

I have no idea what's going to happen next season. I'll spoiler in case people haven't watched it yet:

I'm not sure how this is going to go with the creator being dead. Does Bernard step into an Arnold role now that he has every memory and nobody has wiped him?

What is going to happen with the escapee? Bernard confirmed they've had that very conversation before and she's gotten smart and tried to escape before because she was programmed to do it. That's still a huge mystery.

My theory was that Anthony Hopkins created the maze to give them free will and thought to defend him in case anyone ever tried to take the park away. All this talk of "doing it before" was because he used it against Arnold.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
The finale was amazing. Yes, a handful of the twists/reveals had been guessed but the execution was so good. Please don't make us wait until 2018 for Season 2 HBO!

Something has to give if the entire board of directors and executives are slaughtered. I wonder if Ford and/or Bernard have begun making robot replacements to stand in? Otherwise how could you just explain to the outside world that they all just disappeared?

Gotta love the MIB's face when he got shot. He finally found what he was looking for.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also wonder....

Was Ford even killed? How do we know that was him and not a host that he had standing in for him?

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Why spoiler tags? I think by now everyone knows better to stay out of the thread of a series they're not caught up on.

I was thinking the same thing about Ford as the last post. Will probably have to do with Hopkins willingness to return.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
I suppose it is ok not to use spoiler tags, I thought maybe since it was only a day after the finale perhaps some folks hadn't watched it yet. Perhaps it is the social media habits opposed to a message board.