Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

What If's in Pro Wrestling History

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Recent chat discussion had me curious...

- Hogan and Savage jumped to WCW in 1994 and Luger jumps in 1995.
- Hall/Nash jumped to WCW and kickstarted nWo, led to the Monday Night Wars, etc.

So...
- What if Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty jumped to WCW around 1990/1991 and Bret Hart made the jump to WCW in 1991/1992?

Does Vince keep building around Hogan and Savage and Ultimate Warrior? Do guys like Austin & Cactus Jack become stars in WCW or end up elsewhere anyway? How does that effect the WWF re: other talent such as Owen Hart possibly jumping to WCW?

Does The Kliq take over WCW instead with HBK now there along with Nash, Hall, and Triple H by 1993? Heck, do Shawn and Bret ever get their sustained singles pushes in WCW and become icons of the business?

OG

OG
Reaction score
Given the backstage structure in WCW, I don't think Shawn and Bret would've made much of a dent. They'd have had a lot of great matches but I doubt either rises to the level they reached in the WWF and both probably would've been back in the WWF at some point.

While for the WWF, I think the writing was on the wall for the Hogan era by then. Vince knew that the Hogan and Warrior days were no longer sustainable. Maybe Savage would've stayed on top longer but either way, change was coming.

I think a really interesting "what if" is what if HBK joined Hall and Nash in WCW in 1997 when he apparently wanted to? No way Vince can afford letting Bret leave then so the screwjob doesn't happen and neither does Austin/McMahon. HBK either takes WCW to another level with the Kliq holding all the power or completely self-destructs in that atmosphere.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
O.G. said:
I think a really interesting "what if" is what if HBK joined Hall and Nash in WCW in 1997 when he apparently wanted to? No way Vince can afford letting Bret leave then so the screwjob doesn't happen and neither does Austin/McMahon. HBK either takes WCW to another level with the Kliq holding all the power or completely self-destructs in that atmosphere.

Would have made for an interesting case...

- Hogan had creative control so it's hard to see HBK and him getting along (especially since HBK rose to prominence only after Hogan left) and Hogan was just getting into being the leader of the nWo. Also he had Bischoff's ear at this point similar to how Kliq had Vince's in 1995/1996. I can see Hogan trying to hold him down and screwing around with HBK ala Bret while Bischoff struggles with how to placate both factions. nWo remains nuclear into 1998 but the classic Hogan/Sting angle never happens. WCW eventually implodes around 2002/2003 due to inept management anyway along with TBS executives no longer wanting WCW on TV.
- The Kliq definitely would've become a thing in WCW and I think Triple H would've eventually jumped to WCW around 1998. I can see Vince promising an IC Title reign to keep him but it not working. I do think with WCW's standards & practices, HBK would've eventually gotten pissed off at the lack of 'Attitude' and the shenanigans he could've gotten away with in WWF along with growing alcohol and drug problems.
- WWF would've had a hell of a time crawling back from losing the guy whom was their WWF Champ for most of 1996 into early 1997. Ratings probably would've shifted back to low 2s and high 1s. Bankruptcy/folding could be a legitimate result here I think.
- Heel Bret Hart/Hart Foundation never happens. Bret remains a face. Main scene rides on the shoulders of Bret, Steve Austin, Undertaker, Vader, Sid, a debuting Kane, and possibly Mankind. Russo sticks as head writer and Vince McMahon gradually becomes involved as the 'owner' of the WWF but transitions into a Gorilla Monsoon type character instead.

Laz

Reaction score
O.G. said:
Given the timeframe and that Hart's heel turn had as much to do with fans cheering Austin as it did with HBK's real backstage attitude becoming his character, I say Hart Foundation vs. 'Murica still happens. The shows still begin to pick up steam since Russo is writing at this point anyway, but no Monteal Screwjob means that Austin/McMahon has less chance of catching on as much as it does (though I think that it does happen anyway).

Part of me thinks HHH will want out to be with his friends but, given his behavior when his friends were all gone by '98/'99 anyway, I see him staying on. He doesn't become the fan-favorite leader of the DX Army but does evolve into the Game a little earlier, maybe by mid-to-late '98.

Sick of the absolute horseshit even earlier, the Radicalz and Jericho bail earlier than they actually did and help reinvigorate the WWF midcard. Austin, whose neck probably doesn't break from Owen due to his rise likely coming earlier, has a series with most of them and we get some great matches.

WCW may even see more midcard guys bail before things get really bad and it still closes shop due to declining ratings and Turner execs hating the idea of a wrestling program on their flagship network. I think it's possible Rey and Konnan even come over. The WWF still wins the Monday Night War and HBK is welcomed back with open arms by Vince around 2001/2002 (if he's not dead due to his addictions by that point).

Now, I propose this humdinger...
What if Hulk Hogan decides to keep trying his hand at Hollywood instead of signing with WCW in 1994?

OG

OG
Reaction score
Laz said:
What if Hulk Hogan decides to keep trying his hand at Hollywood instead of signing with WCW in 1994?
WCW continues their carousel of head bookers and continue putting on good shows with little mainstream attention. They never get big enough to get Hall and Nash and maybe Bischoff never comes into power because Flair continues running the show backstage. Austin doesn't jump and becomes a permanent semi-main event guy without ever reaching Austin 3:16 levels of popularity. Foley probably still ends up in the WWF eventually. Savage still jumps to WCW and has a much better run than he did.

Nothing much changes in the WWF for the first little while with Bret and Shawn continuing their rise. In 1995/1996 with stagnating ratings, and his Hollywood career goes under, Vince brings Hogan back. After an initial spurt, crowds get bored of him and he still eventually becomes a version of Hollywood Hogan before probably joining WCW.

Basically, if Hogan doesn't come back in 1994 and set all the wheels in motion (particularly Austin, Flair losing power, Bischoff and, eventually, Hall and Nash), wrestling never experiences the late-90's boom.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Instead of shoe-horning the heel turn to make way for Hogan, Flair remains a face through 1994. Bash at the Beach is headlined by a definitive rematch for Flair & Steamboat from Spring Stampede (Flair still worked Windham at Slamboree; Austin a cheap win over Steamboat in a good match there). Steamboat's last ppv match is a 5-star classic. Austin get a cheap-but-huge win over Sting in the semi main event.

Fall Brawl is a much better card than it was. Flair defends against Lord Steven Regal in a much better world title match than dueling promos via satellite. Sting wins the US title from Austin; Austin gets heat back by attacking him after. Vader-Guardian Angel have their usual fun match. Same War Games as real.

Duggan is still brought in but only to put younger guys over, starting with Austin at Halloween Havoc in a US title tournament finals (Sting vacated due to kayfabe injury via Austin).

Cactus turns heel by helping old nemesis Vader beat Flair for world title. Starrcade is a tag team cage match: Flair/Sting v Vader/Cactus. Faces win, Flair doesnt turn on Sting. But Flair continues to be unable to regain world title thru SuperBrawl. Sullivan has joined Vader and Cactus, with Race leading the way. Austin continues to put on good upper midcard singles matches. Dustin Rhodes gets sustained push on face side.

Slow build toward Flair heel turn on Sting in late 95 or early 96. Nitro still happens. Luger and Savage join WCW. Younger talent like Malenko, Guerrero, Jericho, cruisers, etc are still brought in. Bischoff is slowly morphed into Mr McMahon-type on-screen role instead of being a shitty announcer.

Austin develops his Stone Cold persona and feuds with Bischoff. Flair and Savage have a great run through 96. DDP gets his shot. Flair puts over Stone Cold Steve Austin at Starrcade 1997.

Nitro ratings and ppv buys steadily rise with a mix of recognizable veterans, strong midcarders who become new main eventers each year, and by the time Bill Goldberg goes over Steve Austin at Starrcade 2000 the WWF is out of business.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What if Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty jumped to WCW around 1990/1991 and Bret Hart made the jump to WCW in 1991/1992?

I think The Rockers get buried once Bill Watts shows up in 1992. They are basically the complete opposite of what he liked. They end up back in the WWF by 1993. Bret might hang on for another couple of years, possibly even reaching the US Title level but I still think he'd be back to WWF sooner rather than later.

I think a really interesting "what if" is what if HBK joined Hall and Nash in WCW in 1997 when he apparently wanted to?

Shawn flames out in WCW and ends up either dead or like Jake Roberts. I don't think the WWF changes much. Yeah, the screwjob doesn't happen but they seemed headed towards Austin/Vince anyways. Bret hangs around in a veteran role after jobbing to Austin at Mania, and is back to being an upper card face by the end of 1998. Owen Hart is still alive as Bret protects him. WWF still wins the war.

WCW keeps moving slowly forward like in the first half of 1994 with Flair as face champion. They bring in Randy Savage regardless because he wanted to wrestle and Vince wouldn't let him. Flair puts over Steve Austin as the next big star by the end of 1994 and he has great feuds with Flair, Sting, and Savage. WCW never quite reaches the heights of the nWo, but keeps its young talent and slowly grow in popularity and denying them to the competition. They get a big boost in 1997 with Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Undertaker, etc. coming in after Ted Turner purchases a bankrupt WWF from Vince.

My Question: What if Owen Hart doesn't break Steve Austin's neck?

King of Summer Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't see any scenario where WCW puts WWF out of business. I'm not saying WWF is bullet proof but WCW was incompetent before, after, and during Hogan's run. If WWF went out of business in the late '90s/early '00s, WCW would make the same mistakes WWF did post '01 times ten and end up out of business by 2005. I love WCW but I don't see any alternate universe where they decisively win the Monday Night Wars. Narrow victory maybe but not a blowout.

Richard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What if the WWE had the power to literally erase Hogan's existence? Who would be the one to lead Vince's empire?

OG

OG
Reaction score
Despite the common narrative that anyone could've been Hogan, I can't think of many guys who could've done what he did. His mixture of mic skills, charisma, name value and marketability made him the only real choice. Maybe Savage could've done it but he was too weird and out there. Maybe Magnum TA (had Vince had him) might have been able to do it, maybe Piper? I'm not really sure who else it could've been. No one else was as larger than life, while also being personable enough to do all the media appearances and fan events, as Hogan.

In short, I don't think the WWF would've destroyed all the territories anywhere near as easily, if at all, without Hogan.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
O.G. said:
Despite the common narrative that anyone could've been Hogan, I can't think of many guys who could've done what he did. His mixture of mic skills, charisma, name value and marketability made him the only real choice. Maybe Savage could've done it but he was too weird and out there. Maybe Magnum TA (had Vince had him) might have been able to do it, maybe Piper? I'm not really sure who else it could've been. No one else was as larger than life, while also being personable enough to do all the media appearances and fan events, as Hogan.

In short, I don't think the WWF would've destroyed all the territories anywhere near as easily, if at all, without Hogan.

I ultimately agree. They could have pushed just about anyone, but it takes a special kind of appeal to hit mainstream, especially given how non-wrestling fans view wrestlers. It's tough to imagine anyone else from that era, especially how cartoon-y it was, say, hosting SNL.

The first guy who came to mind to answer the question was Jim Duggan, who had a nice mix of blue-collar likeability and over-the-top character, but I can't imagine Hacksaw on the cover of TV Guide or whathaveyou.

Richard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sgt Slaughter could probably have been a solid choice, but he wasn't roided enough for Vince.

King of Summer Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think it would've been one guy but a combination of guys (Piper, Orndorff, Savage, JYD, etc...I've always heard Kerry Von Erich as Vince's backup plan if Hogan stayed in the AWA but he was too much of a headcase and not good enough of a promo I think to carry a worldwide promotion like Hogan) and it would've taken a lot longer for them to kill off the other territories.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I was thinking about this last night: What if Bret doesn't jump to WCW? Bischoff doesn't offer him enough money or no contract at all. Vince was clearly shifting in a new direction and didn't want to pay Bret. If Bret doesn't leave, his creative control doesn't kick in his contract. Vince could have made him lose the title in Montreal.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
I was thinking about this last night: What if Bret doesn't jump to WCW? Bischoff doesn't offer him enough money or no contract at all. Vince was clearly shifting in a new direction and didn't want to pay Bret. If Bret doesn't leave, his creative control doesn't kick in his contract. Vince could have made him lose the title in Montreal.

The Canada vs. US angle probably continues well into WrestleMania. Shawn never ruins his back because he continues to feud with Bret into WrestleMania while Austin deals with Owen and/or the British Bulldog. Triple H ends up being the Owen to Shawn's Bret, a very solid wrestler stuck in the secondary role and never quite gets the spotlight except for some rare main events here and there. DX starts evolving more into a legitimate heel faction, maybe incorporating the New Age Outlaws down the road anyway alongside a returning X-Pac.

Bret would eventually turn face somehow, not sure how to be honest unless the crowd hates DX enough and decides to start cheering Bret/The Hart Foundation. Problem is that there was no way they were gonna boo Austin so Austin would've remained on his meteoric rise maybe at the expense of Bret's status as the top dog. Austin and Shawn Michaels eventually becomes a hot feud in the summer of 1998. The Rock kind of gets stuck feuding with Mankind a year earlier than 1999 but both men make it work. Bret could turn face against The Rock and work a summer program with him as a possibility. Undertaker/Kane steamrolls for most of 1998.

King of Summer Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What if Ric Flair had left WCW in 1998 during his contract disputes with Bischoff? Would a 49 year old Flair have been able to fit in Attitude Era WWF? Could he have somehow ended up in ECW?

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
We already saw how Flair and Russo mixed; that just would have showed us the result a year or so earlier.

And I don't think a company with Heyman and Shane Douglas would have been very receptive to him; I doubt they could have paid him a fraction of what he would have wanted anyway.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Bret in WWE post 1997 would have been receptive to SCSA being top dog. They seemed to have a good working friendship. Now, that's contingent on Bret being okay with working heel perpetually to SC being a face in the attitude era.

Fun topic to speculate.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I just don't think Bret would have been happy with the overall direction of the product and would probably have been a pain in the ass to deal with creatively. He'd probably still be a big deal in Canada and around the world, but this star in the US would be much less and he'd probably get lost in the sea of weird gimmicks and Crash TV booking.

Owen would probably still be alive, though.

Valeyard

Burn
Reaction score
Bret would get shot down the card, at least for a while. Maybe team with/turn on/be turned on by Owen. Bret vs the 1998 midcard, on paper, seems like there'd be some really fun matches, at least before Survivor Series where it got super silly. Unless, without the screwjob, that show never happens as intended and the run of Crash TV + solid ppvs never stops until Russo probably leaves.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
RE: Rockers in WCW.
They probably get mixed in with the York Foundation/Young Pistols and have great matches until 92 when Eaton/Arn are working on top as tag champs. Flair has a **** star match with Shawn on WCW Sat Night to tease us, but Shawn ends up back in the WWF to avoid the WCW backstage nightmare. Marty is pilled up and stumbles around WCW and ECW before getting another WWF shot in 95.

BTW, the WWF led Shawn was in the shitter business wise, so without the Kliq mucking things up, we may get a more organic main event scene that stabilizes the product. Maybe.

RE: No Hogan in WCW.
As mentioned, Flair was prepping Austin for a world title program, but whether this kick starts anything but a transitional heel reign is open to debate. Austin might politic to move Pillman to the main events, which avoids his 95 depush and potentially avoids his downfall. Vince probably signs Austin in 95 or 96 anyway, but probably sees his potential as more than a carpenter and doesn't need Bret Hart to push him in that direction.

RE: Hogan not coming to the WWF in 84.

Based on my month by month breakdowns I've been doing for CXF, Vince is winning either way. He still signs the arena contracts to block out his competition and grinds them to a slow death.
One interesting option to consider is one that Verne tried to make happen: Jesse Ventura turns babyface. Well he's the shits in the ring, he could cut the promos and the gaga was more important than the workrate at this point.
Without Hogan, Vince might just be even more aggressive in signing up everybody and wipes out Verne's depth, leaving Hogan to die on the vine.
An interesting side note to the Hogan/AWA stuff is if Verne can get Inoki to pay him for talent instead of giving Vince huge money that helped fund Mania 1.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
What if Austin or Shawn couldn't main event Wrestlemania 14? Austin suffered a serious neck injury at Summerslam 97 and probably should have had surgery. He was rising fast into superstardom and ended up taking a couple months off. He was still bumping but he could have taken another bad bump and not made it to Wrestlemania.

Shawn suffered a back injury after being back body dropped on a casket against The Undertaker at the 1998 Royal Rumble. It was so bad he didn't wrestle till Mania. Shawn passing the torch to Stone Cold kick starts the Attitude Era.

There is no way Undertaker/Kane main eventing gets the same mainstream attention like Austin/HBK/Tyson.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
What if Austin or Shawn couldn't main event Wrestlemania 14? Austin suffered a serious neck injury at Summerslam 97 and probably should have had surgery. He was rising fast into superstardom and ended up taking a couple months off. He was still bumping but he could have taken another bad bump and not made it to Wrestlemania.

Shawn suffered a back injury after being back body dropped on a casket against The Undertaker at the 1998 Royal Rumble. It was so bad he didn't wrestle till Mania. Shawn passing the torch to Stone Cold kick starts the Attitude Era.

There is no way Undertaker/Kane main eventing gets the same mainstream attention like Austin/HBK/Tyson.

If Austin Didn't Main Event: I could have seen an attempt at possibly doing a Goldust vs. Shawn Michaels main event or even a rematch of Ken Shamrock vs. Shawn Michaels. The former had several matches on the house show circuit and Goldust had enough legitimate credibility in the eyes of fans that he could go up against Michaels, the issue becomes who would Michaels lose to? That's where somebody like a Ken Shamrock comes in but he was feuding heavily with The Rock in this time frame. The fans were behind Shamrock enough that I could've seen Vince trying to give him a legit main event run and see how he fared especially if Austin was to return down the road. Rock/Shamrock was already going and Mankind/Shamrock/Rock would become a thing as well so I could kind of see it as a couple of WWF Title feuds instead of over the IC Title.

I don't see an Owen vs. Shawn ME given the hard, long run of Triple H vs. Owen going on. Undertaker/Kane was a mortal lock as a match so no way was Undertaker being switched IMO.

If HBK Didn't Main Event: I could very easily see an Austin/Mankind main event. McMahon already would use the 'Dude Love' character later on so this could be a scenario where it'd have been sped up by several months instead while keeping the rest of the card pretty similar. Another potential scenario could've been Austin/Rock but I don't know if Vince would've wanted to run that as a World Title Main Event given that they had just heavily been feuding over the IC Title instead. With that said, Vince knew the feud could be hot and work so it wouldn't have been outside the realm of possibility.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Austin is FUBAR'd right off, then the Hitman does not leave. Vader may not be sent away to lose weight. Hart perhaps builds to a match to put either the Rock or HHH over, depending on politics.

If Hart stays, they may hold off HBK vs Bret until Mania, and the political shit storm could erupt there.

If Shawn can't go after Mania, the Tyson angle would have to be rewritten in less than 24 hours. Perhaps Austin would have to do the segment alone, with a tease that Shawn might be out. No Way Out may have to have another "Final Four" type situation to crown a new champ, probably with Austin on commentary. HHH and the Rock were a year away from being real deal guys who can hang at the top, but they best fit the bill here as the place holder champ to crown Austin in a rush job.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Brodypedia said:
If Austin is FUBAR'd right off, then the Hitman does not leave. Vader may not be sent away to lose weight. Hart perhaps builds to a match to put either the Rock or HHH over, depending on politics.

If Hart stays, they may hold off HBK vs Bret until Mania, and the political shit storm could erupt there.

If Shawn can't go after Mania, the Tyson angle would have to be rewritten in less than 24 hours. Perhaps Austin would have to do the segment alone, with a tease that Shawn might be out. No Way Out may have to have another "Final Four" type situation to crown a new champ, probably with Austin on commentary. HHH and the Rock were a year away from being real deal guys who can hang at the top, but they best fit the bill here as the place holder champ to crown Austin in a rush job.

Yeah. My response was largely basing it off of starting in January, given that's when HBK's injury mainly occurred, and assuming maybe Austin gets another injury in the WM leadup or HBK ends up being too injured to wrestle at all.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well now you made me think about a rebooked Mania 14 w/ a World title tourney

Rd 1:
Austin vs. Cactus Jack (Vince picks Jack after showing clips of his past carnage + his history with Austin. Terry Funk comes in as Jack's mentor as a former champ. Face vs Face, but it starts the build towards corporate Foley, but perhaps pushes the angle back a month)
Owen vs HHH (X-Pac returns here and screws Owen)
Shamrock vs. The Rock (Rock wins via DQ)
Taker vs Kane (Taker wins but is badly wounded)

Austin vs HHH (X-Pac and Chyna run interference, but kick, wham, stunner overcomes all)
Taker vs Rock (The Nation attacks an injured Taker, he fends them off and heads toward the ring. Kane's music plays and Taker painfully locks into battle again with his brother. Bearer launches a fireball in Taker's face to set up the inferno match. Vince comes out and declares Taker's spot is forfeited. Rock advances via bye.

Austin pins the Rock w/ Mike Tyson as special guest ref

Taka vs Aguila
Sable/Mero vs Luna/Goldust
New LOD w/Sunny vs. New Age Outlaws flesh out the card.

How to build an Austin/Tyson angle without a set opponent is a bit tricky, but you could still play up Vince and Tyson being in cahoots.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brodypedia said:
Well now you made me think about a rebooked Mania 14 w/ a World title tourney

Rd 1:
Austin vs. Cactus Jack (Vince picks Jack after showing clips of his past carnage + his history with Austin. Terry Funk comes in as Jack's mentor as a former champ. Face vs Face, but it starts the build towards corporate Foley, but perhaps pushes the angle back a month)
Owen vs HHH (X-Pac returns here and screws Owen)
Shamrock vs. The Rock (Rock wins via DQ)
Taker vs Kane (Taker wins but is badly wounded)

Austin vs HHH (X-Pac and Chyna run interference, but kick, wham, stunner overcomes all)
Taker vs Rock (The Nation attacks an injured Taker, he fends them off and heads toward the ring. Kane's music plays and Taker painfully locks into battle again with his brother. Bearer launches a fireball in Taker's face to set up the inferno match. Vince comes out and declares Taker's spot is forfeited. Rock advances via bye.

Austin pins the Rock w/ Mike Tyson as special guest ref

Taka vs Aguila
Sable/Mero vs Luna/Goldust
New LOD w/Sunny vs. New Age Outlaws flesh out the card.

How to build an Austin/Tyson angle without a set opponent is a bit tricky, but you could still play up Vince and Tyson being in cahoots.

I really like this.

I've said this before (and this answers a number of questions in general):

Let's say Montreal doesn't happen and Bret stays. Austin-McMahon still could have happened (but perhaps without the oomph it had).
I really can't picture Bret in the WWF in 1998 as it played out, unless he was a C1994 Mr. Backlund-type character.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Don't forget 1998 was Kane-Foley-Taker-Austin non stop on top, with Rock and HHH beginning their climb to relevance, so Hart would have been useful in building Rock/Shamrock/HHH and others up if nothing else.
The Hart Foundation could have given the new DX a upper card boost right after WM 14, rather than messing around with the LOD and DOA.
If Bret kept his holier than thou gimmick, he might have been able to bring Val Venis up the card for real and faster than his push in 1999 w/Foley and Snow.
And despite Hart's claims on Wrestling with Shadows, he could have turned back babyface and done fine. Maybe even building to a program with he and Austin teaming to build to one final match.
Also, with Bret still around, Owen avoids the stunt that kills him.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Corny stated on a recent podcast that Dusty was dropped off by Magnum TA a few mins before Magnum's crash. If Dusty is maimed as well, JCP might suffer in the short term, but it also opens the door for Luger to shoot up the card (as he did), plus Barry Windham's return in 1987 seems to be far more likely to be as a headliner, if not as the guy. Plus the UWF buyout is in the works and maybe w/o Dusty, the talent who wasn't brought in may see the vacuum on the top of the card and make the jump to JCP. Dibiase, Duggan, One Man Gang, maybe a bigger and better spot for Chris Adams and Terry Taylor, etc etc.

Flair may have gotten the book sooner and really turns JCP into more a workrate focused place instead of Dusty's blood, guts and gaga. 1986 Rookie of the Year Owen Hart gets a gig working Lazertron and Denny Brown in openers for all of 1987, maybe Steamboat takes his WWF issues more personal and without his heat with Dusty to get in the way jumps to JCP in the late Summer of 87. Etc.

I don't think it changes much of anything in the long run regardless.