Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

What was better? Bret Hart in WCW or Lex Luger in WWF?

What was better?

• Bret Hart in WCW

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Lex Luger in WWF

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seriously, how could they have not decided at that moment that Bret Hart was their guy?

Of course, that means Owen Hart might never have gotten his push.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Why not fuck with the result? Showed their hand. At least take that chance to start phasing down the USA shit.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
(Sigh) Well, context is king, but the thing you don't seem to remember, and that a lot of people who think they know everything about wrestling, not to mention any names but we know who they are, is that Eric only signed Bret because he was starting a new show called Thunder and he needed more wrestlers. Aside from that, he was never really interested in Bret Hart, because he didn't - again I know people in California who think they know what they're talking about are going to get mad at this but the truth, from the person who was there is - Bret Hart didn't have the track record of drawing money of a Hulk Hogan, of a Randy Savage, of a Roddy Piper even, and really he only ever drew in Canada, and WCW didn't run shows there. So that's why they paid him 2.5 million dollars a year, to be on Thunder.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The "They only signed Bret so he could be on Thunder" theory doesn't hold up when you remember that WCW offered Bret $2.5 million a year in Fall of '96.

That being said, I never got the sense that Eric Bischoff wanted Bret Hart for any other reason than "just so Vince can't have him." It's obvious he wasn't a huge fan.

Sidebar: I tried to listen to the 83 Weeks on Master P a few days ago and Bischoff was so insufferable, I had to turn it off after an half hour. NFA with that podcast. Idk it was possible you could turn a topic as lighthearted and goofy as that into an airing of the grievances but Bischoff is still bitter at Meltzer for some dumb reason.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think WCW needed someone like Eric Bischoff in charge to beat WWF for a year and a half plus. However, I also think his general ignorance and unwillingness to have a hardcore wrestling fan mindset is why they crashed so hard in late '98/early '99.

Hindsight is 20/20. Yeah, wrestling would be way better if he walked away from WCW in the Summer of '98 like he says he wanted to but that realistically never would have happened. Even if it had, it'd probably set off a dumb Butterfly Effect where WCW nosedives just as fast if not quicker.

I've just had it with 2022 Eric Bischoff. He's not interesting, he's not funny, he's not likable, he doesn't particularly seem like he wants to be there. He just has "classic rock artist that hates their own hits" vibes but not like even one that's artistically important. Like Steve Miller Band level.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He literally undid everything that worked and logically I can't praise a guy who managed to make millions only to lose it with interest in such a short span. The money he drew got negated within the same length of time, and that's what matters. All his positives don't outweigh the negatives, which just got hammered home further when he left. Him walking away just would've lead to the Summer of Suck going on a year longer.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bischoff is also the only person who took Leno's side in the Tonight Show fiasco. I feel like that sums the guy up.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dick Ebersol, Paul Reiser and Jerry Seinfeld were also team Leno not that that's a super exemplary group.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Paul Reiser would be a great Bischoff in a biopic.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While I think Bischoff is the only person who could've led WCW to #1, he's also the only person (besides Bill Watts maybe if he hadn't been fired) who could have driven them into the ground.

Even with the AOL/Time Warner merger and other external factors blamed for WCW's demise, I think WCW could have lasted years and years later as a secondary wrestling promotion. They might be wobbling around today ala Impact if they'd never tried to take on WWF directly.

Valeyard

Reaction score
tumblr_nyjsps3ycc1tqkk5wo4_500.gif

I went looking for an acknowleging titty-jiggle gif and found this instead so posting since I have never seen it before.