Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

When did you start watching wrestling?

Mental Lee ILL

JN News
Reaction score
For me and my sister, we started watching wrestling in the mid-1980's watching the likes of Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, & "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan in the WWF. We basically began our wrestling fandom as WWF fans.

When did you start watching wrestling and what wrestling promotion did you watch when you started watching wrestling?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fall of '93. One day after my first day of kindergarten, my dad walked me home and we stopped at the neighborhood video store and he randomly suggested a wrestling tape. I picked the one with the wrestler that I recognized on the cover, which was HULKAMANIA 4, which was the one that covered Hogan's '88-'89. I was riveted by the ZEUS feud (and the Hogan-Bossman cage match).

Sometime around then, I discovered WWF Superstars came on after FOX's Saturday morning cartoon block and I watched occasionally. One night when my mom was out of town or working late, my dad asked me and my brothers if we wanted to stay up late to watch Monday Night RAW. It was the one with Yokozuna defending the WWF World Title against Macho Man Randy Savage. That's when it changed from an interest to an obsession.

I will say though that while I got into wrestling because of WWF, there's no way I would've stayed interested in it if it weren't for WCW and Monday Nitro getting hot.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Earliest memory I have is 1989. Possibly 1988. I remember peak Savage, Bad News, and those dope promos they don't do anymore with logo backdrops (specifically Ande's giant hand).

Speaking of this left a huge impression on me:

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I've mentioned this before, but I was flipping through the channels and landed on The Giant and Loch Ness brawling around the ring on either Nitro or Saturday Night. I basically didn't miss or Raw/Nitro outside of playing sports for the next couple of years and rented every wrestling VHS I could find at all the various local video stores.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Being born in 1981, I started watching in the mid 80s. Living in NY we got WWF. I watched all the shows, including the cartoon. I didn't follow as closely since we didn't buy the PPVs. Once Raw came around I had stopped watching. I got back into wrestling around 1996 when my friend introduced me to ECW. I watched that almost exclusively. I got back into other wrestling in 1998 thanks to WCW. I was in high school and the boom was starting and the friends I made all were wrestling fans. I was still watching ECW, and watched a little WWF, but during the Monday night War, I was more team WCW. I stopped watching again around the mid 2000s and didn't get back into WWE again until The New Day formed. I was intrigued by their early promos and started following them. I was going to indies during the early 2000s after WCW and ECW was bought by Vince, so when I got back into wrestling again during the time of The New Day, it was mainly thanks to indies airing on Fite, and PPW (@King of Summer Kamala knows about that) was a big part of getting me back into wrestling. It's been pretty much non-stop since then.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Summer of 1986. I was sick and staying up late. Wrestling was on. I'm assuming it was a rerun of prime time in the early morning hours. Saw a clip of Orndorff turning on Hogan and was hooked.

OG

OG
Reaction score
1990 or so. I rented the Best of SNME tape and watched Hogan/Bossman in the cage and Rockers/Brainbusters on repeat. Then I rented Wrestlemania 5 and the Demolition VHS and never looked back. Watched Superstars, Saturday Night, Raw, Nitro etc. for years, started tape trading and went on from there.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Late April or early May of 1990. Was over at my friends house and he and his older brother were watching NWA/WCW wrestling. Capital Combat was the first big show I remember around that time.

Pretty sure at some point in 1992 or 1993 there may have been a stretch in Dayton, Ohio where there were syndicated wrestling shows on from 9 am until 2 pm. Big deal for me as a 11 year old.

Staff member
Reaction score
Summer of 94. I remember it distinctly because they were showing Superstars on TV at my mom's grandma's nursing home. My mom's grandma was a terrible person so she was giving my mom no end of shit for letting me watch this. So I thought this must be pretty cool and it became a thing.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I always knew the big names from WWF and (somewhat) WCW, but I didn't really watch religiously until shortly before the Attitude era started. Then I went on a mission to rent every PPV from the area video stores to catch back up. As much as it pains me to say, I also read up on a lot of SK to see shit to check out.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sometime right after Summerslam 1991. I knew who Hulk Hogan was. Then there's this smaller dude with a title belt called the "Intercontinental title" named Bret Hart that the crowd likes. Sid Justice is wrestling masked man El Diablo. Undertaker and Paul Bearer, these guys are scary, are now at the ring. They give El Diablo a briefcase and he leaves. Match is now Sid and Taker. Diablo returns and unmasks, he's Jake "The Snake" Roberts! The bad guys beat up on Sid. Hacksaw Jim Duggan comes out for the save.

I shortly thereafter also started watching WCW programming and it took me a bit of time to adjust to the concept these were different companies, different belts, etc... This was in and around the time WCW still had both the big gold belt AND the distinct WCW championship too.

I enjoyed the product so much that when I graduated from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts and the meetings were on Monday nights I was discouraged. The fact that they were all asshole kids made it very easy to tell my parents, "I don't want to do this anymore." I got home from the meeting in time to see The Mountie come out on Prime time and gesturing at his waist to indicate he lost his IC title the night before. My Monday nights were free again until I started a job at the mall in 1998. During little league in the mid 90s, we had maybe 2 Monday night games, my older sister VHS recorded them for me. So by 1998, she was living with her eventual husband and would tape WWE for me on nights I worked. It turned into a similar situation with the DVR. I'd have to dedicate one day to catch up on a month of programming.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Started watching sometime in 1985 after the first WrestleMania. I go into the details here, but I'll quote it so you don't have to click through to my blog if you don't want to...

I do not remember when exactly I started watching wrestling; that is one of those childhood memories lost in time. There is only a vague memory of my friend Kevin’s older brother Andrew telling me about a guy named Hulk Hogan one day. Andrew described Hulk as a real-life superhero to kids everywhere, destroying foes like the Iron Sheik and Big John Studd. He was the champion of the world in a fighting sport that sounded like it was a lot more fun to watch than boxing was—it was professional wrestling and it aired on TV every weekend in between Saturday morning cartoons. Cyndi Lauper was even involved, managing the career of women’s world champion Wendi Richter! I HAD to see this myself, so I figured out what time it was on and became a fan immediately. I tuned in every weekend hoping to see Hulk Hogan or his archenemy Rowdy Roddy Piper and while they usually did not appear, I saw a host of other wrestlers who represented different degrees of good and bad instead. Each of them entered the ring and punished their opponents with complicated holds and maneuvers that could be quite painful when applied. They would also grant interviews, in which they would talk to a balding announcer named Mean Gene Okerlund about what they would do against a more formidable foe in an upcoming event at a nearby arena. Mean Gene would say “DON’T YOU DARE MISS IT!” regarding this battle of the titans and go to commercial as any one of a number of current pop favorites played.

My parents had no issue with my wrestling fandom; they had watched Bruno Sammartino as the perennial world champion on Pittsburgh’s Studio Wrestling as children themselves. They probably thought it was a passing phase as many things are in a kid’s life. Wrestling was a big deal in popular culture in the mid ‘80s. Hulk Hogan was a mainstream celebrity, appearing in Rocky III, The A-Team, and on Saturday Night Live. He rubbed elbows with Cyndi Lauper, Mr. T, and even Joan Rivers! His appeal to kids was obvious, so it was natural that I would eventually hear about him and get on the bandwagon. However, my mom raised the stakes when she brought home an actual book about professional wrestling—The Pictorial History of Wrestling.

Mom was simply encouraging me to read, but The Pictorial History of Wrestling quickly became my bible for all things concerning the True Sport of Kings. Boxing writer Bert Sugar summed up each wrestler’s career in brief but informative fashion while George Napolitano provided effective visual aid with excellent photography. Professional wrestling was indeed a sport of kings and gladiators, where men (and some women) fought for glory and fame, championships, money, respect, and right and wrong. They battled through the blood, sweat, and tears as if their lives were on the line. Sugar and Napolitano’s book made wrestling matter to me. I learned something new every time I flipped through its pages. Although the World Wrestling Federation was “what the world is watching,” there was an entire world of professional wrestling that existed outside of the WWF! Pro wrestling had leagues just like baseball with their own champions. Hulk Hogan was only the WWF’s world champion; there were also guys named Ric Flair and Nick Bockwinkel who held those titles in the NWA and the AWA. I learned about other wrestlers who did not appear on WWF television, as well as some of the legends who built the sport like Lou Thesz, Bruno Sammartino, and Buddy Rogers. Japan made everything else, so of course they made wrestlers too—Antonio Inoki was the top dog who had beaten Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, and even tussled with Muhammad Ali! This was all very intriguing stuff for a kid who was all of eight years old.

Soon, I saw that both the NWA and AWA had weekend timeslots on our local affiliate stations and was able to see what they offered for pro wrestling. My Saturday morning cartoon schedule now centered itself around what time the Big Three’s shows were on the air. We did not have a cable TV subscription, so I was unable to see promotions like World Class and the UWF. I wanted to know what was going on with them, so I pestered adults I knew to buy me magazines like Pro Wrestling Illustrated, Inside Wrestling, Wrestling World, and Wrestling Power to supplement my subscription to WWF Magazine. What was supposed to be a passing phase had become a legitimate fandom, if not an obsession of sorts.

The Pictorial History of Wrestling continued to be my primary reference source for history regarding the squared circle for a long time, until I finally got online and started learning about an entirely different side of “the business” altogether. Those who practiced the fine art of professional wrestling now exposed the industry’s secrets far beyond anyone simply expecting me to take them at face value when they told me the sport "wasn't real.” Although I was unhappy about some of these revelations (“What do you mean, Ivan Koloff’s not really Russian?”), other factoids and anecdotes I read about only compounded my fandom. Nothing had diminished my love of watching televised pro wrestling and I think it all goes back to that hardcover book my mom brought home after work one night in 1986.

I still have The Pictorial History of Wrestling too, although I admittedly did not take very good care of it throughout my childhood. However, I actually found another copy in much better condition in a bookstore window at random one day. This copy now sits on my bookshelf, with its dust jacket intact and no little kid crayon scribblings colorizing George Napolitano’s amazing black and white photos. I was very happy for the upgrade; my parents were right when they told me I would regret basically destroying the book when I was a little kid. Finding this new copy finally corrects that error over thirty years later. I only wish that my mom and dad were still here to share in that joy with me. Today would have been my mother's 69th birthday.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Started watching the WWF on and off in probably late-1991, though one of the main reasons my brother and I were getting into it in the first place was because we got really into the Hasbro figures. The first time I remember specifically planning to sit down to watch a major show was for the final SNME before Survivor Series 92.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I was channel flipping in the living room one night and I'm pretty sure it was an episode of WCW Saturday Night (as I distinctly recall that ring). The irony is I became more of a WWF fan afterward.

I know I was a hardcore fan by April of 1992 (as I remember the build-up to WrestleMania VIII and I was a gigantic Bret Hart mark by then) and remember the Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal vignettes built around Sting/Jake Roberts for Halloween Havoc 1992.

I'm 95% certain it was around January of 1992. I vaguely recall Roddy Piper beating The Mountie for the IC Title and the aftermath of Shawn Michaels throwing Marty through the window but I don't recall the Rumble Match itself, funny enough. I don't think it was before that because I definitely would've remembered Bret beating Mr. Perfect at Summerslam 1991.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
One thing I think about a lot is how I wish there was a way to know what wrestling was syndicated where. (Newspapers.com listings maybe?)

I have random memories that I have no idea how I acquired.
- I know I saw the Tommy Rich/Ted Dibiase/Brad Armstrong Mr R angle from GCW in 1984 but we didn't have cable. Was it reaired randomly on Worldwide during the Yellow Dog storyline in 1991? Did Pro Wrestling This Week randomly show it once??? I don't know!
- I also have a random memory of Lex Luger and Ric Flair being laid out in the ring as the ref puts titles on their chests. The best guess I've surmised is that my brain replaced the Rock and Roll Express with Horsemen after a beatdown.
- I have a random memory of Dusty Rhodes in a chain match with a Russian that could be from any point in 1985- early 88 with no context.
- I am only guessing that Pro Wrestling This Week aired in Green Bay, which gave me snippets of WCCW and such.

I can only confirm that the WWF Superstars aired on Sat at 11, and Challenge aired at 12 on a different channel. I had a random VHS TV recording from Nov of 88 that confirmed the AWA aired on Sunday mornings here at that time. I have no idea if JCP aired (I suspect they did as IIRC they ran a Green Bay house show during a midwest loop in 87ish) My first confirmed memories of Worldwide are from Sunday mornings in 1990; (I was staying at my brother's house and threw a fit because my parents wanted to pick me up for home in the middle of wrestling airing.) It lasted into 1991 before moving to a midnight showing. I didn't see much WCW from 1993 until Nitro, which made my neighbor's weekly recaps on Monday evenings after school all the more tantalizing. (Not to mention the Apter coverage)

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can remember begging my mother to stay up and watch an AWA show on
ESPN on a Sunday Night. Pretty sure it was Rockers/Somers and Rose in a cage. Probably early 87.

And remember coming home after school and watching the WCCW shows on ESPN

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have vague memories from starting in 1988. My dad and I mostly watched WWF, but I was almost scared off wrestling entirely watching the Road Warriors stab Dusty Rhodes in the eye with a spike from their shoulder pads. I was hooked in pretty much for good when my dad took me to his friend’s house to watch the Mega Powers explode at WM5.

The Thread Killer

Get off my damn lawn
Reaction score
Fall 1983. I saw some wrestling on TV off and on over the years as I was a little kid, but the first thing I vividly remember watching that got me hooked in, was when The Iron Sheik attacked Bob Backlund with his Persian clubs in November 1983. That led directly into the The Sheik beating Backlund for the title, and we all know where that led…

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One thing I think about a lot is how I wish there was a way to know what wrestling was syndicated where. (Newspapers.com listings maybe?)
Same. I met Chris Adams in 1992. A while later I saw a syndicated broadcast of ICW (per Google) and he took a chair shot that resulted in an eye injury. My dad happened to be in the room and said, "isn't he one of the guys you met at the rec center wrestling matches?" I confirmed as such. Periodically he'd ask if I heard any updates on the Adams injury and if it was real or "fake shit." But we never got another broadcast of ICW. I also remember either that or a random other WCCW/IWCCW or other random broadcast with Damien Demento in the same basic get up that he was just wearing on Monday Night Raw but announced as "Mondo Kleen."

Thanks to Google I know that the chair angle was at least 8 years earlier and late night syndicated wrestling here, was a very delayed crapshoot.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I've mentioned this before, but I was flipping through the channels and landed on The Giant and Loch Ness brawling around the ring on either Nitro or Saturday Night. I basically didn't miss or Raw/Nitro outside of playing sports for the next couple of years and rented every wrestling VHS I could find at all the various local video stores.

Lmao. This is it. This is why I watch wrestling now.