Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Which team should get the next "Last Dance" style multi part documentary?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/tapemachines/status/1257169417689075712

I don't know if anyone outside of NY/NJ/CT is ready to be nostalgic over the '00s Yankees again but that Tweet made me wonder...what team would you pick to have a multi part ESPN documentary?

My choice might get poopoohed and people will call me a hypocrite cause I dismissed a Yankees documentary but it'd be great IMO to see an in depth documentary on the New England Patriots FIRST Super Bowl. They're a historically moribund franchise with a coach that has a fair to middling track record as HC, just 2 or 3 years removed from almost moving to Hartford or Nashua, NH, their franchise QB goes down and all of a sudden, everything turns around. Plus you've got the whole 9/11 angle.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You really can’t though because it’s the sheer access this doc has. Did those yankee teams or the patriots team have a traveling camera crew getting intimate footage? Not likely.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like most teams in post cable era have cameras following them to some extent and I can almost guarantee you there's similar teams that have interesting unseen behind the scenes footage.

I haven't seen all of The Last Dance but has it explained HOW THE HECK ALL OF THIS ARCHIVE FOOTAGE SAT IN THE VAULT FOR 20+ YEARS!? Was there a moratorium on using it? I know filming was primarily for the MJ Imax movie and NBA Films but you think it would have come out.

Edit:https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-04-19/espn-the-last-dance-michael-jordan-bulls-footage-story

This Los Angeles Times article does fairly good job of explaining why it took 20 years to be released. But I think people still would have wanted to see this sooner despite lockout or MJ's bummy Wizards run.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It wasn’t until Lebron won the title with the Cavs that Jordan agreed to do it.

A total legacy play and he was right to do it and delay it and it was almost a stroke of luck that a pandemic occurred that helped this be such a hit but it was gonna be a hit regardless.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NBATV did one that was decent. It seemed more focused on the '94 team than '95 one for some reason IIRC.

I think '03-'04 Los Angeles Lakers would be another great one. Kind of an inverse to The Last Dance. What happens when the great team doesn't come together after all of those adversities? Probably way too soon after Kobe's passing for that though. Maybe in 2040.

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they will try to make a Kobe one. He did die after all.

King Mutumbo Classic said:
NBATV did one that was decent. It seemed more focused on the '94 team than '95 one for some reason IIRC.

I think '03-'04 Los Angeles Lakers would be another great one. Kind of an inverse to The Last Dance. What happens when the great team doesn't come together after all of those adversities? Probably way too soon after Kobe's passing for that though. Maybe in 2040.

To my recollection, that wasn't what happened to that team. It was that nobody knew Gary Payton was going to be so washed up. Karl Malone then hurt his knee in the playoffs and cost the Lakers two games by trying to play anyway. They got dominated on the boards in games 3 and 4 because Malone couldn't jump. The Lakers had also beaten three pretty good teams on the way to that series.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd love one about the Shaq/Kobe 00-02 three peat Lakers if there was some secret filming going on.

As a kid when I saw MJ and Pippen left the Bulls, I jumped to the Lakers bandwagon for a few years.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
From an NFL standpoint, I actually think covering the 1995-1999 Denver Broncos would be really fascinating. You have Elway entering the Dan Marino conversation of carrying a team on his back all these years but never having won a Super Bowl. The arrival of Mike Shanahan is the next offensive wunderkind HC but very unproven in the NFL.

Then you have the arrival of WR Rod Smith who went undrafted, RB Terrell Davis was a 6th Round pick, and even TE Shannon Sharpe was coming into his own as one of the best receiving TEs often being the only weapon at receiver for several years.

Finally you have the obvious Super Bowls but you also have some drama with the Salary Cap stuff & losing draft picks IIRC, Elway's retirement and the struggles/pressure on Brian Griese to live up to being the QB of a Super Bowl contending team, and the loss of Davis via injury.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Kobe had a film crew during his final season (or seasons), so there’s been speculation leading into the release of Last Dance that it will come.

I feel like Garnett would have some fascinating stuff behind the scenes but that would really limit the 2008 Celtics as the one noteworthy team for him.

I’d assume the recent Warriors had stuff filmed but I don’t think them going to church is interesting enough.

For other sports, the 2004 Red Sox has that historic win and a bunch of nut jobs but I doubt there would be that much new information to come out at this point, nor would the nation be as intrigued as they are with Jordan.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
'04 Red Sox were already the subject of one of the worst 30 for 30. I will always love that team but overexposure after they won and some of their awful post playing careers (looking at you, Schilling) really has them low on my list of teams I want to revisit. And I'm a Sox fan! Maybe I'll feel differently about it in 10 years but I doubt it.

There was already a Showtime documentary on Kobe's career winding down in 2014-15 but there's probably way more leftover. Plus I would enjoy seeing him rag on Swaggy P and the other lame mid 2010s Lakers.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can see them doing a similar documentary about Tiger eventually if he is willing to expose himself like Jordan but I don’t believe it’d be as culturally resonant but it would be well received I think.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Tiger would be a good one if they could go deep.

The women's national soccer team would be a good story and would be popular with a lot of people. As much as I hate them, I'd be lying if I said the Pats didn't deserve one as the best dynasty in North American sports over the past two decades.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Just gonna be two hours of Brady getting that acupuncture procedure where they hammer the spike in the butt

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For baseball, there's a LOT of stuff post strike I would LOVE to have insider stories/docs about, including the Yankees from 95-02(?). I don't like them, but come on, they're historical (and cost me a lot of for fun bets with my pals). For that matter, The Braves pitching rotations during the same period; Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, et al. An in depth look at the home run chase and cover both Sosa AND McGwire. Oh God there's so much 90s stuff in baseball that could be a multipart doc IF the footage is there.

Everything Brett Favre starting around 2004-retirement could be fun if valuable footage exists.

The 04 Steelers losing in the playoffs only to bounce back for the Bus in the 05 season could be fun times. Get side interviews from Seahawks people towards the latter few episodes when touching on the final game. Historical and important feel good sports story on one side, historical robbery for the other side (according to a lot of sports types).

I don't know enough about basketball outside of the 1990s Bulls stuff already being covered in this doc to even spitball ideas worth a damn. I do know that Shaq and Kobe were fun to watch and had an entertaining relationship for me sitting on the couch, but I don't think I count as a basketball fan. I only watch the finals.

But yeah, you'd need some people wanting to really shed light that might not get shed and then it's nothing more than a highlights doc.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
Maybe a doc about the Cleveland Browns or Detroit Lions front offices? Call it Dumpster Fire.
give this man a production crew

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
SFH said:
The 04 Steelers losing in the playoffs only to bounce back for the Bus in the 05 season could be fun times. Get side interviews from Seahawks people towards the latter few episodes when touching on the final game. Historical and important feel good sports story on one side, historical robbery for the other side (according to a lot of sports types).

FUCK THAT. That would be my contribution to the documentary. Probably the last real sad moment I had as a sports fan. Couldn't write a worst script as a Bengals fan.

There would be plenty of drama in that, especially considering you would get Bettis's fumble on the 1 yard line that almost cost them the game in Indianapolis in the Divisional Playoffs.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
The "Redeem Team." Especially if it included deep dives into the Munich Heist, the politics that went into the selection of the laughably inaccurately named "Dream Team II," the "Dirty Dozen" that went to World's in '98, the debacle in 2002 and, of course, the "Nightmare Team" in Athens.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I respect the hell out of TB12 as a quarterback but as a human being, even as a Pats fan the past two decades, he's kind of boring as hell.

Like I don't see how there's enough dramatic tension to draw out for nine episodes. "I was born in a happy suburban family. I was a three sport star athlete in high school. I could have played pro baseball but I wanted to play in the NFL. I struggled in college and almost didn't get drafted but then I became the greatest quarterback in the history of football and have banged a lot of hot babes."

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with a Tom Brady documentary is that there's no conflict inherent in his career. It's like making a docu-series about Tim Duncan. What material do you have? They should have made the next documentary about A-Rod, the 90's Cowboys, or Kobe.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
NY-CK657_SP_GAY_P_20130626182723.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm curious to how much access they have on hand already and what access they're going to get between now and release. How much input will we get from Coach Belicheck?

I'm intrigued as a fan of football, but echo reservations on if there's sufficient material.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Wayne Gretzky really deserves a big series. There's no player in any sport I know of that dominated his sport the way he did. No one is ever going to match his records (and he holds second, third etc in many of them). His impact on the league's image and popularity world wide were huge as well.