Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

wnyxmcneal_weeps: MacGruber movie announced

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know our resident SNL reviewer hates the skit, but I love it. Methinks we shall both agree that this shouldn't be a movie at all.

Hollywood Reporter...reports:
Saturday Night Live's MacGruber is about to explode on the big screen. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Will Forte's recurring sketch parody about an easily distracted MacGyver-type has Ryan Phillippe and Val Kilmer in its sights for a full-length adaptation. Phillippe would play an Army colonel who recruits the jaded MacGruber (Forte) for a mission to stop a nuclear-armed villain, conceivably played by Kilmer. Kristin Wiig will reprise her supporting role, Lorne Michaels will producer, and Jorma Taccone, who helmed most of the skits on SNL, will direct.

And Dark Horizons has this:
Ryan Phillippe and Val Kilmer are in talks to star in a big-screen adaptation of the 'MacGruber' sketch from "Saturday Night Live" says Reuters.

SNL alum Will Forte and Kristen Wiig are reprising their roles from the skits which are a comedic riff of 80's action show "MacGyver".

In the skits, Forte plays MacGyver's son and Wiig as his assistant. The pair usually find themselves, and the week's guest star, stuck in a room with a ticking bomb which usually goes off due to MacGruber getting caught up in his own personal issues.

The feature film takes a different tack - in it, the much decorated MacGruber is pulled out of retirement as a monk in Ecuador by a colonel, who needs him once more to fight on behalf of his country.

This time the mission involves going up against the evil Cunth, who has a nuclear warhead; the mission is personal because Cunth killed MacGruber's bride.

Phillippe would play Piper, an Army officer forced to pair up with a reluctant MacGruber. Kilmer would be Cunth.

Jorma Taccone will direct and co-wrote the script with Forte and John Solomon. Production begins next month in New Mexico.

I'm excited by the prospect of Kilmer.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't watch SNL so my knowledge of MacGruber consisters of a: Bob hates it, and notes that everytime in his reviews that it brings the show down. B: There was that MacGruber superbowl commercial and it was TERRIBLE. So this doesn't sound like a great movie in the works. However, Corky Romano was an SNL-borne movie right? Because I've seen few movies in my life that were worse than that, so I can't imagine MacGruber can top it.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Corky Romano was just a bad movie, not a bad SNL movie. This is the first SNL movie since....Night at the Roxbury?

mellow

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mattdotcom said:
Corky Romano was just a bad movie, not a bad SNL movie. This is the first SNL movie since....Night at the Roxbury?

The Ladies Man, I believe, was the last SNL-backed movie. I could look it up but I'm not going to. This movie is going to be atrocious.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
devo said:
daileyxplanet said:
Of all the SNL-borne movies, I believe this is going to be the worst.

Worse than It's Pat!

Not possible.

oh?

Stuartsaveshisfamily.jpg

Staff member
Reaction score
DrVenkman PhD said:
Is Bob even alive?

Bob doesn't want to message board right now. He realized he was spending too much time here.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
The MacGruber skits aren't that bad. The first couple were actually hilarious.

Whatever happened to "Key Party"? Wasn't that considered an SNL movie cause it was a Seth Meyers project?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Harold is the forgotten horrible SNL film. Mostly because it's based on a one time sketch and was only in limited release for like a week. Take a look at its plot synopsis courtesy of IMDb; "Harold" revolves around the title character, a premature balding young teen trying to adapt to a new high school. Cuba Gooding Jr. plays a school janitor who befriends and helps him through merciless teasing." Is that anybody's idea of a good movie?

Thanks to its failure though, we'll never get to see a Bear City movie!

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I always thought Nick Burns: Your Company's Computer Guy had bad SNL movie potential. They would have him do his sarcastic thing to people who don't know computers, then we would get to see how depressed he is as a regular joe outside of work until he turns his life around.

Beast

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What a failure of a sketch. It wasn't funny past the first episode it aired in thanks to it's one joke premise. Lorne Michaels should learn from 30 Rock and let his loyal subjects write and produce original projects instead of rehashing lame drawn out recurring characters.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I realized something. There's only one SNL skit that's worthy of a movie. And it's Laser Cats. With a budget of $100 million.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
You wouldn't be interested in a full-length "Dick in a Box"?

DARRYLXWF

New Poster
Reaction score
I could see Samberg teaming up with Timberlake in a feature length. It would be like a Redford/Newman lineup only not.

D

Dr. Zaius

The only hopes this has of working is if they completely abandon the format of the skit and just to an action-movie parody. And this is coming from somebody who actually enjoys the skits.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Outside of Blues Brothers and the first Wayne's World, has there ever been a successful SNL movie?

I'm sure there's been something, but those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.