Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WoW: Women of Wrestling 2019

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
According to Fightful, WOW is relaunching with Tessa Blanchard announced as their first star.

3l1dsq.jpg

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Apparently they are having a "press conference" today to announce more details on the WOW relaunch (again for the millionth time it feels like). I can't imagine they will be back on AXS, chances are probably a focus on YouTube maybe? Got me.....

Tessa sure did a great job at blackballing herself from the industry, she never got a look from even a ROH or AAA really. She never gave the impression she learned from all of the bullshit, and her actions during covid with Impact sealed her fate on top of the allegations. While she was a decent worker, I can't say she's missed.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow (damn it)! This TV deal is better than I expected. They will be syndicated on the same networks ROH is on and AJ Mendez will be their color commentator.

resigned sighing from @Valeyard

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Consider me SHOCKED by this stuff. This is actually a much stronger upgrade for visability purposes and to have AJ involved is a kinda huge grab, especially if she starts working matches eventually, almost has to happen.

I still think the Tessa involvement is an eye-sore, but she was clearly the centerpoint of things last WOW run so at least I guess its consistent with their push and positioning as a follow up from the last "season" they did.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For better or worse, she's also probably biggest female free agent and she's only 26 years old. Like I get that leopards don't change their spots but on paper, I get why a smaller promotion like this will take a flier on her.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
The only way this works is if they have actual good wrestling. I don't see a market for the hokey version of WOW from years ago. The problem is so much of the actual good talent is signed up already.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last version on AXS TV two years ago did have a decent blend of actual good work and the hokeyness that you'd want from a David McLane promotion.

I think there is a market for larger than life kitschy'80s-esque wrestling and a women's only promotion. Problem is I kind of think they may be mutually exclusive.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So I just saw some photos and confirmation that WOW is also working with and hired.....fucking Izzy from the NXT crowd eons ago? Oy vey

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I feel like people believe what Brodie Jr. is to wrestling is equal to Izzy.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
While I can appreciate Izzy's fandom and such, I am just not sure I want to see her actually wrestling, and quite honestly not even sure I want to see her anything BUT a fan in the crowd. She sure has a passion for the business, but I'm just not feeling the whole thing. Just feels forced and having a young girl being involved within the business this early kinda makes me concerned for her future to be honest.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
She's 14 years old. I feel like if you aren't able to have a drivers license then you shouldn't be allowed to professionally wrestle.

Reactions: Laz

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I don't care if she becomes a wrestler but for fuck's sake, let her become an adult first. Promotions actually book her for meet and greets and podcast appearances. That ain't right.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's a few 16 year olds on the indy circuit that appear to be supervised by their parents and I'm fine with that. But Idc what level of supervision, I don't think anyone that can't get a learner's permit should be in the biz and Izzy has been being hired for gigs for at least three years. Only in Florida (and now Vegas, I guess)! YEESH!

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I think it should be 18 for a wrestler. Both male and female. It's just not a business for kids IMO.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Punk seems surprisingly enthusiastic for AJ's involvement in WOW. Although did I really expect him to bitch about his wife returning to work, even it was for a David McLane promotion and with that racist goof Tessa Blanchard?

Perhaps most notably he says an in-ring return from her seems unlikely but not impossible.

Last edited:

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You would have to be an amazingly cynical asshole to think Punk would publicly rake his wife for her business decisions and passions all because Tessa Blanchard is also involved.

Punk currently works with and for Trump supporters, in the really real world, sometimes you work with and for people who are shitty.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Since AJ is also an executive producer maybe she reached out to Tessa and found she's grown since the incident.

If you remember Big Swole (who helped get Tessa and Black Rose together) also seemed open to Tessa in AEW, so maybe there has been some growth.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lord knows I don't want to mildly defend racists two posts in a row but Tessa also was only like 20/21 during the time she was accused of making those awful statements (and has dated an African-American and a Mexican since that time). I don't think it's the same as Hogan or Flair saying racist crap as grown ass adults.

I think her flaking out and acting like an arrogant jackass in Impact Wrestling is the bigger concern than the racism.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Lord knows I don't want to mildly defend racists two posts in a row but Tessa also was only like 20/21 during the time she was accused of making those awful statements (and has dated an African-American and a Mexican since that time). I don't think it's the same as Hogan or Flair saying racist crap as grown ass adults.
Oh, well, that settles it, then! Because, as we all know, if you let someone put their penis inside you, that totally means that you respect them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean, sure there are plenty of black and brown people that hate other black and brown people so Tessa definitely could still be a massive racist despite schtupping non white dudes.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
There’s not a thick line between racist and not racist. I do think if Tessa makes everyone money, it’ll be amazing how people take her side.