Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWE: The McMahon-Helmsley Era Begins

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Her and the Viking Raiders now look like a Black Metal band with sketchy political beliefs (which, knowing her politics, is fitting)
p. much. This look has been "popular" in the metal scene since the folk metal explosion in the late 00s. Finntroll was dressing similarly in 2005, Turisas and Arkona around 2010, etc.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kevin Owens suffered an MCL sprain at a house show this weekend and will miss 6 to 8 weeks. Sucks he'll miss WARGAMES but it's important he's rested and ready for WrestleMania season.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
p. much. This look has been "popular" in the metal scene since the folk metal explosion in the late 00s. Finntroll was dressing similarly in 2005, Turisas and Arkona around 2010, etc.
I’m just glad you didn’t ask “if they were a black metal band whose members have sketchy politics, would you listen to them” (the answer is “only if their music isn’t explicitly espousing white supremacist bullshit). Also, this post reminded me of Fintroll (are they still around?)

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I’m just glad you didn’t ask “if they were a black metal band whose members have sketchy politics, would you listen to them” (the answer is “only if their music isn’t explicitly espousing white supremacist bullshit). Also, this post reminded me of Fintroll (are they still around?)
I think Finntroll just sticks to the festival scenes now.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Oh man. Austin-Punk is the one feud that would actually get me back to watching WWE. I hope Tony releases Punk soon so this can happen.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how AEW handles this situation with Punk now, knowing Austin is being lured into a big match again. But I can't see that happening next year already though, maybe Punk/Austin in Philly but to get all those moving pieces together for LA might be a challenge. Austin vs who though at this year's Mania, if not Punk?

Also on subject of another potential return, just read this...

Sasha Banks' company (Soulnado, Inc.) recently filed for these trademarks:

- Mercedes Mone'
- Mone' Talks
- Bank Mone'
- Statement Maker

The first trademark sounds full on like a new wrestling name and makes me wonder if she won't be WWE bound again after all.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
On another note, basically each of the war games matches on the Pay-Per-view have one slot left for the men and the women each. Who gets the nod now that Owens is out for the men's side?

For the women, Candice LeRae seems almost too predicable and eh. If Sasha is moving on, Naomi would work in that spot perhaps.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A hobbled Owens limping out just to enter the cage with Sami the only one standing would be the biggest possible reaction short of Austin coming out and then you can go all directions from there and Owens doesn’t even need to take a bump or anything and it would advance the story in a big way more than just throwing god damn Riddle or Rey anyone really in there.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I still question why they just dont do NXT Stand & Deliver on the Thursday night before Mania. Do they think not enough fans are in the area yet? I mean they are just asking for another terrible turnout by having a significant wrestling show start THIS EARLY. Especially in the huge Staples Crypto Center? GTFO

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
welp looks like KO is working through that injury. The Bloodline angle is hotter than anything in AEW right now tbh. Wrestling in AEW top to bottom is better but WWE feels like it has something special here.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWE is so close to putting the foot on AEW's throat rn that I don't blame KO for working through it. If It was an injury with a 6 to 8 month recovery time, I'd probably cry foul but 6 to 8 weeks during this time feels somewhat trivial.

Of course, if KO suffers a career ending injury next few months, someone will QT this and make look real dumb.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as AEW gets a new contract with Turner which every sign is they will, they are not in any trouble whatsoever. This is a company that is not at all concerned with making money. They have a far better talent roster than WWE overall. They've been going through a bad few months since All Out but the idea WWE could in anyway put them down (short of losing tv) is a crazy exaggeration.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean put the foot on the throat remark isn't putting them out of business but indefinitely putting them in the pre-Hogan WCW/Impact Wrestling distant #2 spot.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
If that happens it will have less to do with WWE and more to do with mismanagment. But even then their exposure is so much larger than either of those companies so it isn't worth worrying about worrying about.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
really don't see that happening at all. aew has too much talent and money and a much more supportive fanbase. They've had some bad booking for a few months and people are acting like the sky is falling. WWE has one hot angle. It's a great one, but the rest of the shows are still not good. Until WWE can put together more than that I wouldn't even begin to consider worrying.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The stuff with Jey Uso eavesdropping on KO talking to Sami Zayn and then catching him in a lie was really top notch stuff leading into War Games.

Of course that assumes Sami doesn't check any social media leading into the match!

Great storytelling especially from a long term perspective.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Might be a bit of a hot take but that SD was one of the stronger go home TVs that the company has done in years. Big return, a hot crowd, a surprise booking choice by putting Ricochet over strong on Braun (and this is totally a direct result of Brauns comments about flippidy flopping etc) and great storytelling continues with this Bloodline stuff. The main also tenfold delivered to lead to the Wargames match tonight, but a bit concerned on Drew potentially. He knocked his head rough on that final dive.

So is Bray vs Knight happening on the ppv? Fiend character rebirth and return has to be just around the corner.