Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The 1993 tag division wasn't all that bad. Mega Maniacs/Heavenly Bodies is a perfect combination of styles and it's sorta sad Cornette never got to be a Hogan antagonist because it feels natural.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
If Hogan and Vince decided to keep him on top in 93, and we assume Hogan/Yoko pair off for the summer, I can fantasy book Bruti and Sexy Lexy as a Summerslam program with Luger using the forearm to smash Beefer's face, which moves right into a Hogan/Luger program.
In that form, I guess Hogan vs Yoko should just be KOTR and Hogan/Luger at Summerslam.
Maybe go full No Holds Barred/Rocky 3 and have Beefer injured earlier in the night by Luger, so champ Hogan is too emotionally damaged to prepare for the monster heel awaiting him.
--
I think Tom and Jimmy Ray would have been midgets compared to Hogan's height. It would be like Hogan/Kidman 7 years early. The chicken shit heels certainly work in other cases (Watts/JYD vs Midnights- Midnights/Road Warriors) but Hogan is Hogan. Especially 1993-95 Hogan that was pure insecure formula working Hogan. The Beverlys had size and Bloom was a legit powerlifter (IIRC) and they were not exactly believable other than pinballs for the Mega Maniacs.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Chickenshit heels were what the Hogan formula was made for, though. They had the middle of the match to do all their heel shit before the hulk up. In a tag team, Husk Hogan of the mid 90s would've made it work even better. In terms of believability I don't think anyone bought Hogan against anyone after 1992, really. He was only as good as the buddies he was surrounding himself with.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Switch this a little to a disgruntled poor kid who is street tough and MAYBE he's got a harder edge and a better shelf life as a heel?

Kama's MMA fighter could be tweaked to create a tag team in the later half of 95 once Kama/Taker wraps up?
A harder edge Fatu may not be destined for main events on PPV, but he could have been effective enough to serve as an upper card guy to keep RAWs a little more interesting.
Babyface Fatu was debuting in late July with Nash/Shawn/Bret/Taker/Razor/123 Kid/probably Bigelow and a soon to debut Ahmed Johnson ahead of him on the good guy list. Plus whatever you want to consider the Allied Powers.
The heel side had a lot more potential for movement with Mabel being an instant dud on top, then Sid, Owen, Yoko and then a ton of new guys Waylon Mercy, HHH, a pirate, a dentist, a hog farmer, a school teacher and a deranged Hollywood pervert all moving into the scene over the next few months.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It was more that Fatu didn't actually do anything. Like he would come out, talk about making a difference, but not ever do anything to make said difference. Is beating Reno Riggins on Action Zone going to end gang violence? Nah. It was so fucking hollow.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was more that Fatu didn't actually do anything. Like he would come out, talk about making a difference, but not ever do anything to make said difference. Is beating Reno Riggins on Action Zone going to end gang violence? Nah. It was so fucking hollow.
They did have the Samoan Gangsta Party confront him, but that was dropped almost instantly. The whole push may have been an effort to appease the Taker since Fatu was in the BSK

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1.jpg

Bet y'all don't think joining AdFreeShows is so stupid now.

Eh, you probably still do.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's an almost definite possibility that @BruiserBrody has posted about this and is gonna throw a rock at me. But TIL that Hugh Morrus (and Crowbar) had a WWF tryout in Spring of '95.

I feel like out of all of the major options to take, WCW was probably the worst for Hugh Morrus. I think he would've crushed it as an ECW guy and for some reason, he seems like a good fit for New Gen era WWF.

Also why the hell did the Lex Luger-Tatanka feud last 7 or 8 months? This house show must've been torturous!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eh, he ended up making good money in WCW for 4 or 5 years and a few more in WWF. If he went to WWF, he is likely to be cannon fodder like Mantaur/Rad Radford.
ECW would probably have earned him the most consistent push, but he'd have made way less money. An ECW run likely ends with him in WCW either way.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For some reason, I see him doing better in WWF, at least in '95-'96. He's more agile than Mantaur and bigger than Spicolli. I see his floor being least annoying member of The Million Dollar Corporation and definitely a potential Undertaker or Diesel opponent of the month.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Weirdly, Duke Droese is the rare person in wrestling industry who might be more of a horrible person than Bill DeMott.

Also it's hilarious and weirdly fitting that one of the only times Vince lets someone keep their gimmick from the indies, it's the friggin wrestling sanitation worker!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Also DeMott was Crash The Terminator in the ECW

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Weirdly, Duke Droese is the rare person in wrestling industry who might be more of a horrible person than Bill DeMott.

Also it's hilarious and weirdly fitting that one of the only times Vince lets someone keep their gimmick from the indies, it's the friggin wrestling sanitation worker!
Supposedly Vince accepted a "bet" to take the number 500 wrestler in the PWI 500 and make him a "star". Drose did come in with a ready made gimmick for the era.
WWF magazine eventually did a spread with Drose wearing formal wear and suggesting he was joining the Million $ Corp

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just watched In Your House 2 on Monday and they teased Duke Drowse joining the Million Dollar Corporation there and alluded to aforementioned WWF Magazine article which seemed like semi-rare occurrence of them bringing up the magazine on TV.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Macho Midget is one of the greatest moments in early Raw. That match is great, too, but when I first saw it the last thing I expected was Macho Midget turning up. Blew my mind.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Yoko had some of the coolest imagery. Top level monster.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wish we would have been able to control his weight cause it’s fun as heck to imagine Attitude Era Yokozuna.