Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWWF All-Star Wrestling

JN News

Pizzamaniac
Reaction score
Just watched the first upload. The first one is from 1975 and is hosted by Vince McMahon, Jr. and Antinio Rocca, and features "Superstar" Billy Graham calling out WWWF Heavyweight Champion, Bruno Sammartino.

Graham wants the title!

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watching the first upload and the Superstar Billy Graham promo is the highlight of the show. I always love the ridiculous shit the Grand Wizard says and he doesn't disappoint here - "He has muscles he hasn't even flexed yet!"

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has foregone binge-watching Mid-Atlantic in favor of All-Star Wrestling? I remember watching '70s-era WWWF TV on YouTube and being bored to tears, but I'm struck by how the product is actually very watchable.

JN News

Pizzamaniac
Reaction score
They need more AWA, USWA, SMW, & WCCW, for one thing. I pick all the classic wrestling in favor of the crap we have today.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow, I thought the Network had more Smoky Mountain than they actually do. There is a YouTube channel that has the entire run including the video releases and while it's not WWE Network quality, it's still very good. I made playlists for myself breaking it down by the year.

I was just wondering if part of the reason I'm so stoked about All-Star Wrestling is due to the Network not skipping like crazy on these shows. My "continue watching" list is long thanks to being frustrated with the bugs causing shows to skip back and forth before stopping altogether as of late.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Interesting to read that Bruno was booed vs Pedro.

I can't see Steele running in at a Stadium show without Vince Sr approving. Sounds like instant black balling level of stuff.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I'm on the Arezzi Patreon. Hopefully at the next Zoom call I can remember to ask him about the crowd reaction that night because I know he was there.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
WWF @ Landover, MD – Capital Centre – December 29, 1983
Jose Luis Rivera defeated Butcher Vachon
The Invaders defeated Israel Matia & Rene Goulet
Velvet McIntyre & Princess Victoria defeated Wendi Richter & Peggy Patterson
Tito Santana fought WWF IC Champion Don Muraco to a draw
Tony Atlas defeated Sgt. Slaughter via disqualification; Pat Patterson was the special referee for the bout; there was a 30-minute time-limit for the match
WWF World Champion the Iron Sheik defeated Salvatore Bellomo
Bob Backlund defeated the Masked Superstar in a lumberjack match; there were 12 lumberjacks for the bout

Wasn't much of a texas death match.

Given that there were twelve other male workers on the card, no prizes for figuring out who the twelve lumberjacks were. Also snickering at 12-Man Lumberjack Rules. Are there drastically different rules when there are fourteen lumberjacks?

And we were a three count away from Salvatore Bellomo, world champion.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
We got so screwed. Well-fed as Hulkamaniacs when we could've had Bollomia runnin' wild.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rogan’s in his early 50s and a Boston area guy so he is right age group to be a Backlund fan. Plus you add in Backlund having a legit amateur background (and being a lunatic), it isn’t a surprise to me at all that this is the kind of wrestler Rogan would get behind.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Backlund actually had several more matches against The Sheik, including a title for title cage match in Canton, OH that Backlund won but of course vacated the US Title because he couldn't defend it with his WWF schedule.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
You really forget sometimes what a big man Monsoon was. You get this thing in territorial wrestling where they're spending more time establishing a gimmick. Like ten minute face/face draws where the idea is to establish what professional wrestling is supposed to look like if those damn heels wouldn't cheat so much.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
That was delicious. Imagine a post game interview in the NFL devolving into one player attacking another player in the middle of it and this is the reaction.

Also, first time I've ever seen Vince Sr. exist outside of still photos.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
WWF @ West Babylon, NY – High School – June 8, 1983

Tony Colon fought Jeff Craney to a draw

Swede Hanson defeated Mac Rivera

The Invaders defeated Samula & Butcher Vachon

Iron Mike Sharpe defeated Mac Rivera

WWF Tag Team Champions the Wild Samoans defeated Chief Jay Strongbow & Pete Doherty

For the love of God!

====
Snuka teamed with Jay several times during this month, so I wonder if he saw it was a high school show and skipped it for a pile of coke instead?

I kind of want a Swede Hanson vs Butcher Vachon match now, to see if the Universe can survive the level of pure suck.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also, first time I've ever seen Vince Sr. exist outside of still photos.
Same! One day, I went down a rabbit hole trying to see if he ever made any on-camera appearances on WWWF programming or elsewhere, and there was NOTHING online. Even if he was never an on-screen character, you’d think he would show up at some point, but apparently not.

EDIT: Some Vince Sr. footage has surfaced since the last time I went digging!