Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

3D TV is all the rage.

Ripper

I'll make your ass sense.
Reaction score
So yeah, lets talk about it. Personally? I think we are staring at what is going to kill some electronics companies dead. Unless the cost of integrating this tech into the TV is really REALLY low, they are about to fuck themselves.

Having lost my job in the TV business, mostly because of the razor thin profit margins in making the damn things anyway, I don't see how anyone in the industry thinks this is a good idea. The sets will be in the same price range as 2nd generation LCD/Plasma Tv's(ie, fucking expensive) will require those fucking glasses(which are going to probably run about 100 bucks a pair) and this is just after they got people to drop their 1080i sets for 1080p ones. Just a really REALLY bad move in my opinion.

That said...I am fucking jealous I don't get to go to CES.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/tech-15749651/3d-leaping-from-tv-screens-at-ces-17489677

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well they have got 3D blu ray all ready to go, which oddly, most current blu ray players cant handle.. but the PS3 can.

So cue having to upgrade your entire HD hardware again.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
I wear glasses, so there's about a 0% chance they'll make 3D glasses I could actually wear, so fuck 3DTV.

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
oldskool said:
I wear glasses, so there's about a 0% chance they'll make 3D glasses I could actually wear, so fuck 3DTV.

Ditto, but I hate 3D shit anyway. Of course, I don't have HDTV or anything like that either. I still have a VCR for my wrestling tapes and a small DVD player and that's all I need.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ripper said:
those fucking glasses(which are going to probably run about 100 bucks a pair)
Really? Why? The ones they gave out at the theater for the regular-screen 3D showing of Avatar were cheap little disposable suckers that they let us keep afterwards. And although they recollected the glasses at the IMAX screening, those didn't look much more expensive either.

oldskool said:
I wear glasses, so there's about a 0% chance they'll make 3D glasses I could actually wear
Actually, the theatrical versions are easily big enough, if you're not Littleface from Dick Tracy. They fit right over a pair of regular glasses just fine.

If they can make home 3D look anything like it did in Avatar, then I'm for this. Sure, it'll be slow to catch on, but so was HD and every other tech upgrade. The early buyers will be the usual collection of rich people and hardcore nerds, but prices will drop to affordable levels eventually. As it is right now, home 3D sucks. I tried to watch Coraline that way, complete with the old cardboard red/green glasses, and ho boy was that an aggravating experience. If they can upgrade the technology to an acceptable point, I don't see a problem with it.

Also, when I first saw this topic, I thought it said "3D TV is all the rape". That brought up uncomfortable mental images of watching an in-your-face three-dimensional version of I Spit On Your Grave. So I guess we don't really need EVERYTHING to be converted to that format.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hell, i wouldnt commit to a new TV if your existing set is working just fine.

They may be working on 3D HD, but the current HD standard is nearly obsolete as they have made HDMI 4.0 which supposts over 2000p. That combined with Sonys OLED tvs, it will be an interesting decade.

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
But it's getting to the point where you buy a TV and then 3 months later a brand new better one for the same price comes out. It's the same thing with phones. I love my viewty smile but a month after it was released, LG released the Chocolate which does evreything my phone does and a little bit more.

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you want a new TV now, I wouldn't bother waiting. There are so many good deals on flat panel 1080p sets now, it's kind of ridiculous. Then in a few years when 3D sets are affordable, you can get one with that capability if you really want.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Guess I'll bitch about my TV too. I bought a 42" 1080p Philips LCD in May 2008 for about $1,200. The exact same TV now sells for $650 at the same store. That's just how things go. Had a similar situation with my cell phone. Back in July, I upgraded to a Blackberry Curve, mainly because Wal-Mart was selling it for $8.99 with a new 2-year plan, or upgrade. A couple months later, they started selling the Blackberry Storm for $50, which is what I was going to get, but at the time, I didn't want to drop $199 on it.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
oldskool said:

Same here. This 3D shit is a gimmick I don't need.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Haws Bah Gawd said:
Guess I'll bitch about my TV too. I bought a 42" 1080p Philips LCD in May 2008 for about $1,200. The exact same TV now sells for $650 at the same store. That's just how things go. Had a similar situation with my cell phone. Back in July, I upgraded to a Blackberry Curve, mainly because Wal-Mart was selling it for $8.99 with a new 2-year plan, or upgrade. A couple months later, they started selling the Blackberry Storm for $50, which is what I was going to get, but at the time, I didn't want to drop $199 on it.

FYI: If you text or email a lot, the Storm is NOT a good idea.

Ripper

I'll make your ass sense.
Reaction score
Jingus said:
Ripper said:
those fucking glasses(which are going to probably run about 100 bucks a pair)
Really? Why? The ones they gave out at the theater for the regular-screen 3D showing of Avatar were cheap little disposable suckers that they let us keep afterwards. And although they recollected the glasses at the IMAX screening, those didn't look much more expensive either.

oldskool said:
I wear glasses, so there's about a 0% chance they'll make 3D glasses I could actually wear
Actually, the theatrical versions are easily big enough, if you're not Littleface from Dick Tracy. They fit right over a pair of regular glasses just fine.

If they can make home 3D look anything like it did in Avatar, then I'm for this. Sure, it'll be slow to catch on, but so was HD and every other tech upgrade. The early buyers will be the usual collection of rich people and hardcore nerds, but prices will drop to affordable levels eventually. As it is right now, home 3D sucks. I tried to watch Coraline that way, complete with the old cardboard red/green glasses, and ho boy was that an aggravating experience. If they can upgrade the technology to an acceptable point, I don't see a problem with it.

Also, when I first saw this topic, I thought it said "3D TV is all the rape". That brought up uncomfortable mental images of watching an in-your-face three-dimensional version of I Spit On Your Grave. So I guess we don't really need EVERYTHING to be converted to that format.

The glasses: They arent going to be using the same kind. All of them will be using these battery powered glasses that basically flicker along with the screen or some crap like that. They are going to cost around 100 bucks. Some of the Panasonic said they aren't including any with there's, Sony said they will include 2 pair and Samsung one, but still...100 bucks for some fucking 3d glasses after you spend double the going rate of HDTV's for one of these things....Yeah..I don't see that happening.

Plus like others have said, it will have problems working with a segment of the population because of their eyes. Its overpriced. And more than anything, its gimmicky. HD wasn't gimmicky. It was a stark jump in picture quality...it wasn't really was't slow to catch on at all. Bluray on the other hand is moving along at a snails pace because the jump between upconverted DVD and HD movies aren't THAT eyecatching to justify triple the price of a DVD player and double the price of a DVD for the vast majority of consumers. So how is this going to go over?

As for the prices coming down, as I said, I don't know how much more it will cost to integrate this into sets, but, again, these companies don't have alot of profit margin to play with when it comes to flat screen televisions. From the consumer standpoint, more options are never a bad idea. Im still looking at it as a industry guy wondering why these companies are setting them up for " Company X will be laying off X number employees today" next year...because this is a massive failure wating to happen for them.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll say this much too, as someone who watched UP in 3D with glasses over glasses...yeah never again. I will never go watch another 3D movie. That shit makes my eyes hurt like mad and gives me a massive fucking headache.

DCH

The Every Night Delight
Reaction score
2GOLD said:
I'll say this much too, as someone who watched UP in 3D with glasses over glasses...yeah never again. I will never go watch another 3D movie. That shit makes my eyes hurt like mad and gives me a massive fucking headache.

Avatar wasn't too bad for me doing that, but it got a bit much after 3 hours.

Reaction score
DCH said:
2GOLD said:

Avatar wasn't too bad for me doing that, but it got a bit much after 3 hours.

Yeah, I had to wear the 3D glasses over my glasses and it wasn't bad. I didn't get a headache or anything but I did have to keep pushing up the 3D glasses because they kept falling off.