Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in May 2024: Will Christian Cage celebrate Father's Day a month early?

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
DDP was pretty onboard with AEW early on too. A few others also, but they were more pre-WCW as a formal company like Steamboat or Tully. Arn sure was around for a while as well. Granted, I don't know what any of their thoughts were about the place after their appearances but they must have liked something about it. Bet Dusty would have shown up if he were still alive.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys like Bischoff and Nash not liking how AEW is booked only reaffirms my liking for AEW. Two all-time terrible bookers. You just have to look at who the biggest haters of the company are to feel better about it IMO.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
@BruiserBrody : Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in!!!
I'm getting annoyed by Toni's anachronistic Wendi Richter references. She's supposed to be an old Hollywood star. She should be mentioning Mildred Burke or Judy Grable. Maybe she really is The Wild Child Of The Eighties.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Jericho actually wasn't awful tonight for the first time in forever.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Checking the seats for the Portland show on the 16th. Man. It looks...not bleak but not ideal when you see it all laid out on a map, you know? I wonder if they are like WWE where the production team just kinda comps randos they run into during their carousing. I kinda want to go but I just don't know if I can justify spending this money to go by myself.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I never had a problem with Chuck except he made some lightly misogynistic comments about my friends on a Beyond Wrestling DVD so I hope he dies.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Like the great Drew McIntyre once said

“I prayed for this and then it happened”

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sit down and stop clapping @cobainwasmurdered !
giphy.gif

I need to find a new target for my bile.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Eh. Where was he when I was told I couldn't wrestle again?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought my posting a gif reaction should have been obvious I was joking around. I can't stand Chuck Taylor but I don't wish harm on anyone that isn't an abuser or something. I'm glad he won't be on my tv screen but I wish it was because everyone had realized he was a talentless waste of time. I hope he got out in time to have a healthy post career.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Chuck was really awesome in particularly niche roles for a few years between 2007-2012. He worked great in Chikara, IWA-MS, and PWG; companies that weren't intended to be mainstream, or even taken too seriously. As much as folks can hate on the hand grenade and slow motion spots? They were highly entertaining with the right companies. There's a clip from a PWG show (one of the DDT4 tournaments, IIRC) where it's Best Friends vs. World's Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan/Candace LeRae), and Chuck can't bring himself to strike back at Candace, so he walks back to the locker room...only to come back out wearing a dress and a wig before proceeding to go HOUSE EN FUEGO~ (TM Dames) on her. That kind of cheesy buffoonery worked for smaller audiences that wanted high spots and chicanery, and I was, overall, in that camp for a bit.

When AEW started, though, Chuck was about 8 years removed from being a worthy investment, scooped up because he had some indy clout at a time when AEW was basically "a super-indy with prime time TV." Dude was washed, really. He proved he could work serious with runs in EVOLVE and DG:USA, but there's a very real reason he never got looked at beyond occasional job duty (if even) in ROH, TNA, or WWE.

I'm not sure how much of Chuck's awful AEW run was his own doing, being older and lazier and realizing he'd never be more than a curtain jerking JTTS, and how much was Tony K's overt lack of booking skills. Maybe an 80/20 split, because Best Friends were all over the shows for a while, but Chuck always gave off the feeling that he was just there to cash a check and hang out with some of his old locker room pals.

Regardless, it sucks that this is the way his career ends. I hope he has enough saved up to cover his living expenses while looking for some Regular Joe type work, especially with the cost of cereal these days.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't wish any harm upon Chuck. I wasn't really a huge fan but I'm glad he got a 5 year run in a nationally televised company especially after it seemed like he was gonna hang it up before Best Friends caught fire. He had his run and now it's time for something new.

SRS says he's already training to be an agent so he's sticking around which is fine.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chuck was really awesome in particularly niche roles for a few years between 2007-2012. He worked great in Chikara, IWA-MS, and PWG; companies that weren't intended to be mainstream, or even taken too seriously. As much as folks can hate on the hand grenade and slow motion spots? They were highly entertaining with the right companies. There's a clip from a PWG show (one of the DDT4 tournaments, IIRC) where it's Best Friends vs. World's Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan/Candace LeRae), and Chuck can't bring himself to strike back at Candace, so he walks back to the locker room...only to come back out wearing a dress and a wig before proceeding to go HOUSE EN FUEGO~ (TM Dames) on her. That kind of cheesy buffoonery worked for smaller audiences that wanted high spots and chicanery, and I was, overall, in that camp for a bit.
This sounds as painful to me as a 60 minute broadway Okada Vs Tanahashi match does to you I think.

I appreciate that comedy wrestling has its role. I mean I loved the Florida Brothers in Toryumon or even Sami Zayn Vs Knoxville. I think stuff like Chuck (and Joey Ryan as mentioned) had a really negative impact on the indies, as a counterreaction maybe to the equally awful impact of the Davey Richards types. I don't blame Chuck or anything. He made the most of his career and (limited) talent.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
This sounds as painful to me as a 60 minute broadway Okada Vs Tanahashi match does to you I think.

I appreciate that comedy wrestling has its role. I mean I loved the Florida Brothers in Toryumon or even Sami Zayn Vs Knoxville. I think stuff like Chuck (and Joey Ryan as mentioned) had a really negative impact on the indies, as a counterreaction maybe to the equally awful impact of the Davey Richards types. I don't blame Chuck or anything. He made the most of his career and (limited) talent.
It's very weird where we draw the lines on things that annoy the piss out of us.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I thought Dynamite's kid had a decent match on Collision but he looks and moves way too much like his daddy and I'm not sure I want to be reminded of that.