Ahhhhhh the French.

WWE Backlash
May 4th, 2024
Live from LDLC Arena in Decines-Charpieu, Lyon Metropolis, France

Undisputed WWE Championship match

Cody Rhodes (c) Vs AJ Styles

World Heavyweight Championship match
Damian Priest (c) Vs Jey Uso

Randy Orton and Kevin Owens Vs The Bloodline (Solo Sikoa & Tama Tonga) (with Paul Heyman)

Triple Threat for WWE Women's Championship
Bayley (c) Vs Naomi Vs Tiffany Stratton

WWE Women's Tag Team Championship match
Kabuki Warriors (c) Vs Bianca Belair and Jade Cargill

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If the crowd from last night are any indication, they should probably never do an non big four PLE in the US for a long time.

This is the perfect card for an international PLE. Don’t give away the farm but the crowd will eat it up and everyone goes home happy.

It’s also a 5 match card and I’m sure they have to promote Lyon and hammer the upcoming olympics (good thing they fired their Olympic champion today who “allegedly” happens to be a sex offender and also, a confirmed shitty pro wrestler).

So a steady dose of ads through the show but it’s an afternoon show on the cock you can breeze right by those and stick around for whatever absurd snooty things the French rasslin fans will chant.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Really missed the boat on not having the Eifel Tower scaffold match.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The god damn crowd is insane and they fucking melted for the stupid fucking brain buster onto a fuck of chairs.

Tama was really made here and sure, Tanga too.

All leading to Jacob being the break glass neutralizer for Roman will be fun.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yujiro and Chase Owens would be good foils for R-Truth. Jado could be an agent in NXT Japan.

EVIL…ah, man. He is one of the least defensible modern wrestlers (non sex pest division). I guess they could use him as a heater for Judgment Day after Damian Priest turns babyface.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Jado has value and I'd just get a kick out of him being in WWE.

Unless Chase Owens has improved in the last couple years I have no interest.

I do have a weird desire for Styles to lead all the Bullet Club dudes just because. Chief AJ needs acknowledgement.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yujiro and Chase Owens would be good foils for R-Truth. Jado could be an agent in NXT Japan.

EVIL…ah, man. He is one of the least defensible modern wrestlers (non sex pest division). I guess they could use him as a heater for Judgment Day after Damian Priest turns babyface.
EVIL is better than all of those HOT/BC workers when you get him away from the HOT style tbf. EVIL before Omega concussed him to death in the one G1 was a legit very good to great worker. Chase Owens I've never seen have a better than "eh ok" match. Yujiro got hurt so early in his career it's impossible to know what he'd have developed into. The less said about Jado the better.

Give me Dick Togo and Fale in WWE though.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
So we're getting Solo, Tonga, Loa, and Jacob Fatu vs Roman, Jimmy, Jey, and....(Zilla Fatu)?

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Could @alkeiper , @BruiserBrody or one of our statisticians look up how many times there has been a WWE World Title match between two former NWA World Champions?
Looks like this may have been the first. Almost had one in 1963 between Buddy Rogers and Edouard Carpentier but Rogers was injured. The ‘92 Rumble had Kerry Von Erich and Ric Flair, and 28 others.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Serious question: there was about an hour and 45 minutes of wrestling total on this show. Good lord, what is happening during that remaining hour or so?

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Wasn't it only a three hour show? I think 1:45 is pretty reasonable. At least it was in the mid-90s when I nerdily would time PPV matches with my alarm clock timer and record them in a notebook.

I just looked up Backlash 2018, which I went to, and (not counting the preshow match) there was 1:45 of wrestling, but that was a four hour show. What else was on it? An Elias segment. So be happy with what you have now.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Watched most of the show last night and I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen anything online or here about how lost Jade looked at points in the tag title match. Specifically the spot where it looked like Kairi and Asuka did something out of sequence and missed a tag, the ref tried to intervene, and until the Bianca tagged back in.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watched most of the show last night and I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen anything online or here about how lost Jade looked at points in the tag title match. Specifically the spot where it looked like Kairi and Asuka did something out of sequence and missed a tag, the ref tried to intervene, and until the Bianca tagged back in.
The whole sequence about who the legal person was also jammed up the match and like in Mania, Jade had issues communicating with Asuka and Kairi.

The “work” was fine in that she looked good and showed her power but the match was atrociously long for what should be a smash match. I get you want to respect the Kabukis but the still unnamed power duo needed to be smashed over hard like the Road Warriors we don’t need to know they can work a long match.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jade also needs a new finisher. Hell give her the jackhammer as the homage to Goldberg. Even as cool as he reversal sequence was, her finisher doesn’t look good. I don’t think it looked good when Beth Phoenix used it either.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jade also needs a new finisher. Hell give her the jackhammer as the homage to Goldberg.
“FIRST THEY HAD SOME JAPANESE GIRL BEAT MY STREAK, NOW MY FINISHER GOT TAKEN BY A BLACK GIRL!?!? WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS!? *snort*”

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bring back the Meltdown as a finish.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Just looked at the Wikipedia for Backlash France and I see the ring time is actually closer to 95 minutes. But, you know, WrestleMania XI was less. I have records.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
After watching all the awkward bumps Kairi took, I think Jade's finisher should be the DDT.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did see some comments on it but most people who watch WWE now don't really care it feels like.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I did see some comments on it but most people who watch WWE now don't really care it feels like.
Now that I think about it, it was just a Bucks match. Needlessly long, disjointed, aimless with convoluted “story” and forced dramatics with series of finisher spamming.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Could @alkeiper , @BruiserBrody or one of our statisticians look up how many times there has been a WWE World Title match between two former NWA World Champions?
The crossover is so limited it is unlikely unless I'm forgetting something obvious. Buddy Rogers was the first guy to hold both.

You'd be hard pressed to even find former NWA champ vs NWA champ in a WW(W)F/E ring. Even Funk and Race only cross over in 86 for a few months.

Steamboat/Flair were in WWF in 91 together for half a second....

Valeyard

Reaction score
If you're talking crossover I'm almost positive Styles, Jarrett, and Rhyno were in the WWE at the same time during Jarrett's Elias feud.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The crossover is so limited it is unlikely unless I'm forgetting something obvious. Buddy Rogers was the first guy to hold both.

You'd be hard pressed to even find former NWA champ vs NWA champ in a WW(W)F/E ring. Even Funk and Race only cross over in 86 for a few months.

Steamboat/Flair were in WWF in 91 together for half a second....
The closest example I could think of is Tornado and Flair both in the 92 Rumble.