Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bad Movies 2020 (and beyond)

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I finally got to fuckin Imaginary, and I wish I hadn't!

This film was so dull and uneventful. Done by the same dude who wrote and directed such duds for Blumhouse as Fantasy Island and Truth or Dare, this is right up there as another one of the worst to churn out from BH. Why this same guy keeps getting these opportunities is beyond me. And why and how they felt like this deserved a theatrical run also baffled me.

The best I can say is that there was some interesting ideas that could have taken off here, but as soon as you thought that was going to happen, it went in another toothless direction. This happened more than once in the film. I thought this was going to be some wonky bender of a story about a possessed teddy bear, but really that was not the premise.

Very and I mean VERY flat acting and exposition scenes, a real lack of imagination in the script ironically enough. The ending was about as ridiculous and stupid as one could imagine up.

Avoid this half-assed attempt at Coraline meets kinda Poltergeist.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, it’s not a good movie (I think I chuckled maybe once or twice in the 90 minutes), but I don’t think it’s quite the train wreck some are making it out to be.

Knowing there was a January 6-type scene, I groaned when I heard what Fred Armisen’s character was named.

Basically it just seems like the whole movie was just an excuse for him to work or hangout with people he wouldn’t normally.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought Unfrosted was brutal, but I have a low tolerance for bad comedies. None of the comedy really hit. I liked Jim Gaffigan and Bill Burr is funny as JFK, but that's about it. This year's Fool's Paradise. Jerry Seinfeld is not funny at all in this, and I don't want to watch him do anything at this point.

For a similar type of satire, the recent Daniel Radcliffe Weird Al biopic is so much funnier.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, Seinfeld should never be the lead actor in anything ever again.

There are a few bits and pieces that I liked, but they were all just one-offs. Peter Dinklage comes in, kills it, and then you never see him again. I want a movie of evil milk tycoon Peter Dinklage.

Gary

I'll do a drive by to Andre 3000s flute album
Reaction score

Apparently, this is actually getting a decent sized release today, and I just learned it existed (also @RedJed I know you like to see bad movies in theaters but I’d sit this one out-plus I rarely go out of my way to see shitty movies nowadays)

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe it was better when people really did think Jamie Foxx was dead and got cloned.

I would say poor Mickey Rourke but ya know…

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

Apparently, this is actually getting a decent sized release today, and I just learned it existed (also @RedJed I know you like to see bad movies in theaters but I’d sit this one out-plus I rarely go out of my way to see shitty movies nowadays)
Yeah I aint touching that one with a ten foot pole.

One movie that sounded god awful and did want to check out was some garbage called Poolman. Apparently Chris Pine directed this, besides the lead star in it. It was in a few Twin Cities spots over a course of one week and then seems to be already one and done. I do plan on a followup when it hits VOD though. It sounds like quite the thorough trainwreck.

And def have a new inclusion into the mix of what I've seen recently, actually a few.

First, Sasquatch Sunset. A total what the fuck am I watching kind of thing, and what exactly was the intention here.....I guess a low brow comedy, but I didn't laugh once. And its been awhile since I had flat out walked out of a film, but I gave this 45 minutes and I tapped out when a single bad joke kept getting repeated. This was a whole new level of bad and probably the front runner for one of the years worst so far to me, even thought I must have been in some minority as it got 70 percent on RT? The hell?

And then a more recent one of note from this past weekend, the remake of The Strangers. Everything was far worse than either sequel here....the acting was wooden and really terrible, the script and the lines were just as bad, and even though this was supposed to be some NOT remake and NOT a sequel....actually it came off very much like a redux of the first film, with very irrelevant minor changes to the story. I guess perhaps it can be blamed that the attempt to film all three of these chapters at the same time and not in order came off rushed and underdeveloped....that seemed very much to be the case here as three films worth of content were filmed in a two month stretch late 2022. Particularly in this one, the main male lead was incredibly terrible. You would have to be a huge fan of the original to even remotely consider this.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And def have a new inclusion into the mix of what I've seen recently, actually a few.

First, Sasquatch Sunset. A total what the fuck am I watching kind of thing, and what exactly was the intention here.....I guess a low brow comedy, but I didn't laugh once. And its been awhile since I had flat out walked out of a film, but I gave this 45 minutes and I tapped out when a single bad joke kept getting repeated. This was a whole new level of bad and probably the front runner for one of the years worst so far to me, even thought I must have been in some minority as it got 70 percent on RT? The hell?
Surprisingly, I actually liked it. It took me like 15-20 minutes to get used to it, but I ended up finding it weirdly compelling. I found it more sad than funny, especially once I figured out that their rhythmic pounding on the trees was to find other sasquatches because there aren't many left in this world. It's listed as an Absurdist Fantasy Drama on Wiki which is more apt than comedy to me. I thought the committed performances, cinematography, and especially the makeup were fantastic. Riley Keough I thought was great and I actually recognized her through the makeup because of her expressive eyes. Eisenberg is great as well and unrecognizable.

But, it's definitely not for everyone. It's the closest movie to a cinematic troll or shitpost since Trash Humpers, The Greasy Strangler, and Freddy Got Fingered. And it has more in common with something like A Ghost Story to me than a low brow comedy.

Last edited: