Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Comic Book Toys and Collectibles

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've also thought about collecting Marvel Legends but I'm so far behind the curve that it would take an inordinate amount of time and money to catch back up, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Action figure prices have gone up a ridiculous amount since the pandemic. I collected some modern era G.I. Joes ("new" 3.75 inch) for display and then stopped for a couple of years. I looked at prices now and some of the figures I have bagged and in storage are now double the value I paid for them. I have also purchased some Classified (6" Joe figures) for display and even some of those have gone up a crazy amount. The action figure market is definitely speculative and geared towards adult collectors now as opposed to kids, which is in many ways sad.
If you have too much time on your hands I would suggest Youtuber "Spector Creative" who used to run the Matty Collector MOTU line. He dives into retail/corp mentalities regarding why and how things are done. Plus MOTU history lessons.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Pro flipper and Youtuber Hairy Tornado said in his videos that church rummage sales are a good place to hit because they have a short time to sell everything and prices are usually good. So last Fri I hit one up 1 min from my house. I thought like 7 people would be in line, but to my shock the lot was very full and a line was waiting to get in.
They had the basement organized into glassware, gadgets, holiday junk, etc. And thankfully one room was all toys!!
I scored MOTU figures for 25 cents each and Little People playsets (full of accessories and toys) for a buck each. So I dropped maybe 20 bucks total? (Includes some other not toy junk I grabbed)
Here's my score:
View attachment 1307View attachment 1308View attachment 1309View attachment 1310View attachment 1311View attachment 1312\

I bought the Bart Starr mag for 5 bucks at a Packer Antique shop next to Lambeau. I tried to sell them my recently acquired electric football games, but they did not want them. The local toy 2nd hand store also turned me down to even make an offer.
Since the stock car track I had is worth 20+ on ebay, the guy really must not have understood he could have tripled his money on the deal.
Ah shit that Pound Puppies! And the Gremlins Sticker Book :)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maine.jpg

My brother works for Dean's in Green Bay. They are shutting down a big chunk of the plant and the employees have been allowed to take supplies. I asked for 8 milk carts for my basement. He brought 15! I protested a bit, but he insisted I take them all.

So, still plenty of room in the basement, and now I have a ton of stainless steel shelves (on wheels!) to fill.

I (pre) celebrated my 40th birthday by buying just under 200 dollars worth of MOTU stuff on Amazon as the price is dropping due to failing to make any new fans to support the line.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anybody want to fess up about dropping 70 bucks on the SDCC No Holds Barred 2 pack? Too rich for my blood.

Lots of cool WWE retro and MOTU stuff announced. I wish it made it to store shelves. The best 2 MOTU things (Flocked Grizzlor and Camo Khan) are both online chase figures. So I will likely never see them in my hand.

I did get the Andre as Bigfoot figure in the mail. Nice and smashed in a flimsy mailer. Thanks Amazon or BigBadToyStore, who ever I bought this from.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spent the last few days on vacation for C2E2.

- We stayed Thurs night in Kenosha as a half way point of home and Chi Town. Ate at a chain place called Chedders which was excellent. They had drink with an alcohol warning on it, so I of course had to try it. Needless to say I woke up at 3 am with a Tequila hangover.
- Drive in was ok considering it's the insane Chicago traffic and it was AM rush hour. I thought my buddy had lost his mind and was going to turn into oncoming traffic with a semi bearing down on us, but he was squeezing over for someone else, not turning. I screamed in fear in what will be the running gag memory of the weekend.
- My buddy understandably didn't want to drive all over (My travel plan was basically all within a mile or less of the hotel) and fight for parking spots and pay big parking fees. Our plan was to take the Metra system, which has a depot at the convention hall. We arrived at the hotel and saw they had a shuttle service for 7.50 cents a person one way, so we jumped on that. The shuttle wound up failing to pick us up at night despite our calls, so we switched to cabs the rest of the weekend.
- I went into my toy buying zone at the con. They didn't have much retro toys at all, a bit odd for a con dedicated to nerd shit of all forms. I did buy some modern MOTU, a set of 90s bendies Power Rangers, a 1990 WCW bendie SID as my own copy was beat up badly and covered in fake blood through my play time back in the day. I also bought some random magnets of Dwight from the Office and Sloth from the Goonies as Catholic Saints. Picked up a MOTU knock off from the 80s I don't think I owned, an Inhumanoid human w/drill, a Knock off power ranger and some modern Funko action figures that were made in the MOTU form.
- My buddy doesn't give a shit about toys, so he got Trish Stratus to take a pic with him and got her to sign a figure he bought of her at the con. - Fri was the Trish, Lita, Foley panel I talked about in the Flair's Last Match thread. We also went to see the original TMNT voice actors all together in one panel.
Other panels included The Nostalgia Critic and others from Channel Awesome having us discuss "Movies everybody disagrees with you on". I didn't go up to the mic, but later went to their booth and told them of my love for "Antfarm Dickhole" They howled along with me as I told them the plot. Brad Jones may review it for his channel, which would be fun.
- Another fun panel was "WTF Japan" where we watched random commercials, game shows and mini movies Japan produced about unpolite subjects. "F is for Fart" is an instant classic.
- Chicago's Ghostly Landmarks was another interesting panel I attended.
- The worst one was "Bad Trivia for Bad Prizes". The name should have been a warning. I thought maybe it was going to be goofy pop culture stuff but it was stuff like "What do you remove pencil marks with?" "AN ERASER!" "Here's a bag of erasers! HAHA!" A segment where 3 audience members danced to Madonna's "Vogue" was the highlight there. One woman stole the show with her grooves.
If toys and panels were not your thing, there was also a beer sampling area (13 bucks a can, hard nope for me), yard games to play, a big section for LAN gaming, an area with a few video game systems set up that had no theme I could figure out. (Mortal Kombat, some NBA game, and a bunch of games I was not familiar with).
- There was also a small arcade section set up with a preview for Jay and SIlent Bob's video game, then some home brews, and Retromania Wrestling. A ways away from that was some giant white arcade machines that may have been from Japan? They had NBA Jam, a few various fighting games and some Japan centric stuff. Oh and randomly Rally X. I do not know the title, but I played some Marvel fighter where you picked 3 guys to fight 3 other guys and it was pretty fun for a button smasher.
- There was a fun home brew game called Pollyanne or something like that which had the Mario platforming, Donkey Kong Jr climbing and Pac Man power pellet collecting all mashed together as monsters chased you. I had a lot of fun with that.
- Stuff for nerds of stuff outside of my realm could roam artist alley, dance at a DJ area, show off at a K pop dance stage, partake in trivia, board games, TONS of anime booths, and of course people watch!!! The Cosplay is often outstanding and there's enough girls worth going to Horny Jail over to counter the nerds who have a BMI of 3300.
- GOOD VIBES.

Random extras:
- Our shuttle driver told us to stay off the streets at night and showed us the scar in his head from where he took a bullet after being dragged off the street and shot despite giving the thug the 30 dollars he was carrying.
- We ate breakfast Sat in Chinatown and had Dim Sum, basically you select a bunch of smaller servings of food. We fat americans probably shared more plates than average. We had curry, taro, shrimp, stuff that looked like a sponge, chicken, and sausage and taters mashed into brownie sized bars. We were the only Europeans in the busy place.
- Leaving Chinatown we failed to get a cab to respond to our attempts to schedule a ride back on their website/app so we walked the 1/2 mile or so back. This would be fine most times but Sat AM it was already 90. I was drenched in sweat by the end of that walk, so I got to take a bonus shower before the convention.

- Sunday we ate breakfast by Millennium Park around the skyscrapers at a highly rated joint. I had a heart attack on a plate w/4 or 5 meats mixed with cheese and taters. Plus pancakes. We had to bail out to a buildings awning after as we waited for a cab as the heavens opened up
This AM we decided to not pay for another 25 bucks to park over by the convention since we were likely only going to stay a few hours, so we just skipped today and went home early. I had nothing I was going to find yet to buy and the panels I may have cared about were all happening at once at 11:30ish.
The drive home was super easy.

3D printed Shredder Buddha I snagged for 20 bucks.
Foot.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
That Foot Soldier cosplay! Great pic :)

"- Our shuttle driver told us to stay off the streets at night and showed us the scar in his head from where he took a bullet after being dragged off the street and shot despite giving the thug the 30 dollars he was carrying."

I feel like that convo/experience is something only you can end up in!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
toyz.jpg

Toy.jpg

Went to Manitowoc's Rummage Rama this AM and scored big. Got 4 Ghostbuster vehicles for 3 bucks each (Already sold the plane to my buddy for 10 bucks so it is not pictured. You can't really find Ecto 1 for under 40.
I got my 4th Castle Greyskull as I wasn't leaving it there for 10 bucks . Snagged the Little People zoo set for 15 bucks. It was my next goal in the little people collecting anyway so I was thrilled to death to stumble upon it.
Tubes in front are MOTU/He man toothpaste from 2001.
MOTU kids shirt was 2 bucks.
Star Trek case was 8 bucks and Bat man was 15. Alvin and the Chipmunks lunch box was 8. Turtle shell was 75 cents.

I'm a forty year old man!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bonus fun story from today:
I enjoy road trips because I always think of it like Fozzy and Kermit are getting into wacky hijinks because as soon as we get in a car we revert to teenagers. Lots of bawdy talk and riffing on each other.
We ate at a place in between a toy store and video game store we went to in Sheboygan. My buddies are always weekend boozers, so when the time to order came, I ordered a Bloody Mary and they had...water.
I looked at them and said "Only the driver is ordering booze? Makes sense."
They were saving their drinking for a local brewery we hit next. I do not like IPAs or whatever. I'll suck Bud Light, Bloody Marys and mixers all day.
So I ordered something that sounded less gross than most of the other stuff and washed it down with their home brewed Root beer.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Went back to Manitowoc's Rummage Rama. After the big haul last time, odds were that I was going to be in for :( and I was. Bought a goofy modern TMNT 8 inch Funko like figure for a dollar and a 1986 Duck Tales puzzle for 2 bucks. Otherwise, just found random books for my toddlers and trinkets for Xmas. Meh.
My buddies said they were not going and thus we didn't car pool. Then when I get to Walmart to snoop at 7:20 AM, there they are! My buddy claimed he told me they were coming, but he changes his mind about every plan we make lately, so it was not worth arguing.
They hurt me at the Rummage though, as one found a pair of TMNT puzzles and the other dug through a pile of records and pulled out 1987's PILEDRIVER for a DOLLAR!!! Damn it!!!! I only soothed my wounds by telling myself I would not have dug through records anyway had they not been here.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Heading to Milwaukee for the weekend for the Midwest Gaming Classic!

Hundreds of arcade cabinets, pinball machines, consoles, and CPUs set up to play. Plus panels, 2 live wrestling shows, a stand up show (How's your video game bits Kamala?), cosplay contests, over 100 vendors selling their wares and a lot of other stuff that is outside of my interests (RPG, table tops, Pokemon, Magic, etc)

Perhaps the highlight for me is seeing Youtubers John Riggs and John Hancock play Batsu with the audience.

--
Staying at the Hilton attached to the convention. Visiting the Historic Pabst mansion on Friday and having dinner at Mader's, a high end German eatery that has hosted many celebrities and Presidents for the past 100 years.

--
The irony in all of this is my buddy and I go to this every year, however our friends who actually actively play video games refuse to come.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Haha! I'm in both John Hancock and John Riggs' convention recap videos.
Hancock shares the pic from above, but Riggs catches my big melon watching the indy wrestling show they put on in the corner of the vendor hall.

--
Somebody had a Macho King wearing a Power glove Jacket. HOW DID I MISS THAT!?!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I also got a Stretch Armstrong style Super Shredder, an A Team activity book, an A-Team kids book, 6 TMNT kids books, 5 or 6 Gremlin books, a Ghostbusters Colorform set from the 80s, a uncolored He-man coloring book from 40 years ago and TMNT playing cards from back yonder.

I could have bought a Hogan coloring book for 15 dollars. You have to live with regrets.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Skelator was a dollar. Sells on ebay for 20 plus. Mario set was 4 bucks. (Love it for a set piece)
I don't really collect GI Joes, but those 3 vehicles I actually had in the 80s/early 90s and were mostly complete. He had a 4th one I owned, but the 35 dollar price tag was a little much for something that didn't really trigger my inner giddies.

Still trying to score the TMNT's first LCD game. I have the other 4 now.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I drove 45 mins to a rinky dink lakeshore town for a toy show at an arcade. The owner was promoting 40+ vendors all week on social media. I was skeptical as that would basically be as big as the Milwaukee toy shows they put on at the state fair grounds.
I left too early, with my never ending nervous energy. Two Rivers didn't really offer any other things to do, especially on a Sunday so I sat in my truck listening to wrestling pods for a bit until the heat got to me and I walked around the block, noticing the unloved old buildings which were now occupied by businesses catering to the poors.
When I got in the arcade, I quickly realized this was going to be a dud. There were probably less than 15 vendors total, and the 2 that had stuff I am into are the same two vendors who I see selling at all the local shows, so I've pilfered their stuff thoroughly. (This is at least the 3rd time this year) No one else had stuff I wanted, but I was amused at seeing someone bust out their phone and show the vendor their prices were wack.
I noticed a She-ra coloring book at one booth and wandering over. 65 bucks! For the love of pete.

I drove home having spent 5 bucks on 2 small things and wrote a negative review on the arcade's facebook for lying.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Someone at ComicCon hooked me up with a code for one of the Joe exclusives they are selling there, so I'm relieved I don't have to join the rat race when they open it for limited sale to the public and don't have to pay exorbitant ebay prices. I could have gotten 2 and used the second one to trade for a previous exclusive I missed out on, but I didn't think about that until I'd already checked out.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kisume Kon was held in Green Bay this weekend. I believe it is basically an Anime con and pricy, so I have never attended. My coworker went and bought a Tapestry that a woman said she had made herself of the show Demon Slayer.... I was down with the story so far....
Price? THREE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The thing is apparently 3x5. I can't wrap my head around this purchase at all.

kitty.jpg

He lives at home with his parents, so I guess he has too much money.

I drove an hour plus out of town to a massive vintage toy store in Sheboygan and dropped 200 bucks on Transformer/MOTU and TMNT books, A TMNT lunch box I do not yet have, a Tale Spin Lunch box and a handful of figures from various lines.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't lie that's pretty dope looking though I dunno if I could justify a $3,500 price tag for that.

Some day you gotta show us your finished Toy Cave :)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can't lie that's pretty dope looking though I dunno if I could justify a $3,500 price tag for that.

Some day you gotta show us your finished Toy Cave :)
I'm kind of paranoid to make a video or whatever online in lieu of theft. I used to post pics of it though, so maybe I just have to stop living in fear.

==

Toy companies have finally made a crossover designed to fully empty my bank account.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I ordered the new Hulk Hogan (WM 1 era jumpsuit gear) on Walmart Plus. For reasons I can't figure out, it shipped to my parent's house (Where I haven't lived in 20 years) and of course we got a massive rain storm for the first time since like May....so my figure was sitting outside their back porch for 20 hours and is no longer MIB.

All the sadness.

I've ordered a bunch of crap from WM+ before so the address issue is super annoying but likely somehow my fault(?)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
View attachment 1952
NECA is apparently coming out with a massive Krang figure. Awesome, but with NECA it'll be 350 dollars or something,

If this TMNT van is somehow 500 then this Krang is going to be 100K!