Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

General Horror Films & TV Discussion Thread

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
The Sci-Fi Channel turned me onto Monsters and Tales From the Darkside since they'd air back to back in the mornings over the summer of 1994/1995 IIRC. I do miss shows having cool little intros like that.

I watched those two shows as a kid. Remember the openings vividly. Not a single moment from an episode though.

Gary

I'll do a drive by to Andre 3000s flute album
Reaction score

This one's the follow up to "X" and "Pearl". Looks like they're doing a Giallo homage with this one.

Reaction score
Saw "The First Omen." It's very good. I was impressed by Arkasha Stevenson's direction. It's shot beautifully and the sound design is top notch. It needs to be seen in theaters. The plot, lore and all that is predictable but it doesn't matter. Stevenson made it feel fresh and immersive, pacing it like a 70s movie but with a modern touch. Maybe my favorite film of the year so far.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I hope they don't wimp out on how dire and bleak the original movie is. Trailer looks very intense, so I'm excited. Casting is fantastic. McAvoy, McNairy, and Mackenzie Davis are all terrific. McAvoy especially seems to be really nailing it. He also is starting to look identical to Gerard Butler. Hope this is as good as the original.

Edit: Oh shit, it's directed by the guy that made Eden Lake. This should be appropriately disturbing then.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw Sting (with 1 other person and a theater employee in the back at my screening, lol). 5.5 to 6/10 sounds right. It's exactly what you suspect from the trailer and the kind of movie that probably would've been a PG Made For TV movie in the 90s despite its R Rating - mostly for cursing. Some decent effects and one particular gory scene.

I liked it but I'm also a bit of a sucker for these kinds of movies. It wasn't looking to re-invent the wheel, just do what it offers and get in/get out of your life.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it top Arachnophobia in terms of spider flicks?
Not even close but Arachnophobia is the Jurassic Park of spider movies. This is a pretty simplistic, isolated low-budget horror movie. Almost a marriage of something like Krampus in terms of "location" (it's literally a single apartment building) and Crawl in its creature feature-ness.

Reaction score

I hope they don't wimp out on how dire and bleak the original movie is. Trailer looks very intense, so I'm excited. Casting is fantastic. McAvoy, McNairy, and Mackenzie Davis are all terrific. McAvoy especially seems to be really nailing it. He also is starting to look identical to Gerard Butler. Hope this is as good as the original.

Edit: Oh shit, it's directed by the guy that made Eden Lake. This should be appropriately disturbing then.

Fuck if it’s the Eden Lake guy, yeah that’s like 2x the bleakness

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like @Brocklock posted this because it seems like his type of movie but I saw this trailer ahead of Sting and immediately thought of him.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm already anticipating this from the Radio Silence team: Abigail dropping on April 19th

Very solid 7.5/10. My screening had about 10-13 people, which surprised me since it was a subtitled screening (my first one so it was basically like watching it at home, which I greatly enjoyed).

I thought Ready or Not had more humor and better comedic actors/writing but this had more over the top gore and blood splatter (enough that I mentally noted @Laz may dig it just for that reason).

The acting was good and like RON, it does a good job at building it up a fair bit before going into the crux of the movie. The trailer(s) basically spoiling the "twist" didn't really impact it for me as I found enjoyment in waiting for the eventual reveal/carnage to follow after. There's some tweaks/twists within the plot and character motivation with some of it working for me and some of it not quite landing as hard.

My only real knock on the movie is that the 3rd act goes on for a long time and while a lot of stuff happens, it's almost a case where the writers had this particular payoff in mind but couldn't quite edit/cut the movie down enough to smoothly go through it all so it does feel a little draggy at times as you're waiting for some kind of wrap up/finish.

Seeing Laazar show up at the very end... I'm very on the fence about it. I feel like it was a better concept in mind then execution and I don't know if it was really necessary despite the parallel it was trying to draw on I guess. *shrug*

Last edited:

Gary

I'll do a drive by to Andre 3000s flute album
Reaction score

I have to hand it to Neon-this has been the most intriguing promotional campaign of the year IMO. Even if the movie disappoints, every teaser for this works

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Got my ticket to see I Saw the TV Glow for tomorrow at 11 AM. It seems to be getting mostly good reviews from critics though audiences seem more split.