Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

I will pick Infante to the ASG...but you will blow me first (TWiB 7/5 - 7/11)

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
TRTSM TWiB Question of the Week

Who is the most overrated player in the game right now?

Baseball! Live! In COLOR!

MONDAY
Braves (Derek Lowe) at Phillies (Roy Halladay), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

TUESDAY
Red Sox (TBD) at Rays (Jeff Niemann), 7:00/4:00 PM, MLBN

WEDNESDAY
Reds (Bronson Arroyo) at Mets (Jonathon Niese), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

THURSDAY
Angels (Ervin Santana) at White Sox (John Danks), 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, MLBN
Reds (Johnny Cueto) at Phillies (Kyle Kendrick), 7:00/4:00 PM, MLBN

FRIDAY
Braves (Tommy Hanson) at Mets (R.A. Dickey), 7:00/4:00 PM, MLBN

SATURDAY
Cubs (Tom Gorzelanny) at Dodgers (John Ely), 4:00/1:00 PM, FOX
Braves (Tim Hudson) at Mets (Hisanori Takahashi), 4:00/1:00 PM, FOX
Twins (Nick Blackburn) at Tigers (Jeremy Bonderman), 4:00/1:00 PM, FOX
Reds (Aaron Harang) at Phillies (Roy Halladay), 7:00/4:00 PM, MLBN

SUNDAY
Braves at Mets, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, TBS
Cubs at Dodgers, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
TRTSM TWiB Question of the Week

Who is the most overrated player in the game right now?

I want to say Strausberg because all his starts are televised on national TV. I can't think of the last pitcher who's gotten that much attention.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I'm planning on going to a Pawtucket game this week, but who the hell is left? They might as well import the Sea Dogs down from Portland.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
100705.10.jpg

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With Beltran's return looming the question rises as to how to alleviate the Mets' oncoming outfielder logjam. My solution? Ship Frenchy off to the White Sox. Despite his staggering mediocrity he'd still represent a significant upgrade over Juan Pierre, and in return the Mets can get one of the relievers they so desperately need (Matt Thornton, preferably, since Putz would be a bit much to ask for and his reception given last year's performance would likely be somewhere below lukewarm) and lower their payroll somewhat.

I'm not sure how feasible this scenario is, though. Have White Sox fans fallen for Pierre the way Dodgers fans did, to the point where it would create an uproar if he were benched?

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
Juan Pierre and Jeff Francoeur on the same team? The Bill Plaschke's of the world would immediately declare the White Sox World Series favorites with those two in their outfield. The intangibles and clubhouse presence on that team would make them unstoppable. In fact the Mets should trade Angel Pagan for Pierre if they really want to learn how to win and avoid another September collapse.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bored said:
Juan Pierre and Jeff Francoeur on the same team? The Bill Plaschke's of the world would immediately declare the White Sox World Series favorites with those two in their outfield.
all's dey needs is dis guy!
rowand-broken.jpg

DA FIRE AN DA PASSION

DEY ARREDY BRUNG BACK SCOTTY PAAHHDS NOW BRING BACK ROWAN!

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1st AB and Votto making his case known...HR to center field.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was no limit so after about five minutes I got bored and gave up.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
devo said:
With Beltran's return looming the question rises as to how to alleviate the Mets' oncoming outfielder logjam. My solution? Ship Frenchy off to the White Sox. Despite his staggering mediocrity he'd still represent a significant upgrade over Juan Pierre, and in return the Mets can get one of the relievers they so desperately need (Matt Thornton, preferably, since Putz would be a bit much to ask for and his reception given last year's performance would likely be somewhere below lukewarm) and lower their payroll somewhat.

I'm not sure how feasible this scenario is, though. Have White Sox fans fallen for Pierre the way Dodgers fans did, to the point where it would create an uproar if he were benched?

I like Devo as a poster so I don't want to jump on him. But I can't envision the White Sox trading Thornton. He may be the best lefty reliever in the game.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They'll unload Jenks before Thornton, but they're not going to get rid of anybody.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
devo said:

I like Devo as a poster so I don't want to jump on him. But I can't envision the White Sox trading Thornton. He may be the best lefty reliever in the game.

Fair enough. I failed to go beyond this season in looking at his stats so I was unaware of how good he's been over the past couple years, so yeah, I undervalued him somewhat.

Oh, and this gem just occurred during the Mets/Reds game. Bases loaded with Scott Rolen up, Pelfrey's pitch comes inside and nearly hits him on a check-swing - home plate umpire mistakenly thinks it hit the bat so Rolen's called out on the foul tip. Baker comes out to argue so the umps get together and reverse the call the other direction, saying that the ball hit Rolen after all, which is also completely wrong. This is better than instant replay how?

And of course that opens the floodgates, leading to a six-run Reds inning that features a Corky Miller RBI double (!) and a Travis Wood RBI Triple (!!!). Fuck.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Kenny Williams just came out the other day saying the White Sox would be buyers at the deadline!

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Second week in a row my ESPN station is carrying ESPN News in place of the Monday night game. No idea what's going on with that. I actually got to see the first inning this time before they cut away.

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here's a warning to teams facing the Reds...don't let them get on a roll, they WILL make you pay.

Slayer

Reaction score
I doubt the Reds would be doing this well if Lemon Harang were on the mound tonight

also, whatever the Reds' farm clubs are doing as far as hitting work for pitchers (Leake and Wood, plus Chapman in Louisville) is pretty awesome

Slayer

Reaction score
Of course, the Reds have also shown that their pen can't hold a 5+ run lead...

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, this is what happens when you face a team that CAN hit. Oh well, time to get a couple of those runs back.

Case in point, Joey Votto AGAIN

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Votto has more home runs in this game then Infante has in the entire season.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
devo said:
alkeiper said:
devo said:

Fair enough. I failed to go beyond this season in looking at his stats so I was unaware of how good he's been over the past couple years, so yeah, I undervalued him somewhat.

Oh, and this gem just occurred during the Mets/Reds game. Bases loaded with Scott Rolen up, Pelfrey's pitch comes inside and nearly hits him on a check-swing - home plate umpire mistakenly thinks it hit the bat so Rolen's called out on the foul tip. Baker comes out to argue so the umps get together and reverse the call the other direction, saying that the ball hit Rolen after all, which is also completely wrong. This is better than instant replay how?

And of course that opens the floodgates, leading to a six-run Reds inning that features a Corky Miller RBI double (!) and a Travis Wood RBI Triple (!!!). Fuck.

the umpiring has been terrible this year. If I were you I'd be more pissed that they had Brandon Phillips picked off earlier that inning but the ump called him safe. On the replay it looked like the ball hit Rolen in the arm before deflecting into the catchers glove. But, I could see why a Mets player or fan would be pissed over a 1st base ump helping decide a call.

Dandy

Reaction score
Redsmania has caught on at TRTSM!

Edit---Yet I never switched to my Reds logo avatar for this season like I normally do. Oh well.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dandy said:
Are the Rays getting a new stadium in the near future?
They've been talking about it forever. They're having trouble finding a location and having issues with public funding. They had a plan in place to have one ready by 2012, but they gave up on that plan. Even if they figure something out soon 2013 seems like the earliest they could have anything ready, and it may be even longer.

Slayer

Reaction score
Dandy said:
Redsmania has caught on at TRTSM!

Careful, I don't want to see this turn into Mets-mania from three years ago

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Joey Votto Styx inspired love:

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3UVzxtawlg[/flash]