Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

INTERESTING STUFF: Unfounded Movie Trivia ITT

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been meaning to put this together for a while. A lot of times I hear something that's so interesting it must be true, but it's stuff you can't find on IMDb or Wikipedia. Please share with us the rumors and legends you've heard that can't be confirmed. Maybe someone can prove or disprove them.

To tide us over until the Stanley Kubrick thread hits, here's one. While he was filming A Clockwork Orange, Kubrick was approached to do a novelization of the film. Novelizations were big business pre-VCR. Rather than adopt a film based on a novel into a book, which Kubrick probably thought was bullshit, he proposed and they published a Photo-Story book. This was the first of its kind.

The original Halloween II occurs immediately after the events of John Carpenter's Halloween. The original concept was to set the sequel three years after the original with Laurie Strode being stalked by The Shape in a high rise apartment building.

Sam Raimi was on the shortlist to direct Batman in the 1980s.

Kevin Costner Dennis Quaid would have played Indiana Jones' brother if Lucas had approved a script by Lawrence Kasdan.

The scripts for Twins and Suburban Commando were written at the same time at the same studio with the intention of filming one with Arnold and DeVito and the other with Christopher Lloyd and Hulk Hogan. Arnold and DeVito were given first choice. Suburban Commando fell to The Hulkster as a result.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Mattdotcom said:
The scripts for Twins and Suburban Commando were written at the same time at the same studio with the intention of filming one with Arnold and DeVito and the other with Christopher Lloyd and Hulk Hogan. Arnold and DeVito were given first choice. Suburban Commando fell to The Hulkster as a result.

As much as I love the real thing, I am a bit curious to see Twins done by Hogan and Lloyd but with Lloyd essentially just playing Jim from Taxi.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On the upcoming DVD/Blu release of It's Complicated, included will be a scene in which Meryl Streep is Eiffel Tower'ed by Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Incandenza said:
On the upcoming DVD/Blu release of It's Complicated, included will be a scene in which Meryl Streep is Eiffel Tower'ed by Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin.

They pretty much confirmed it at the Oscars. That's why on its release, imma go Wal-Martin' and grab me the DVD and an econo-size bottle of Lubriderm.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Incandenza said:

Wrong. It's Blu-Ray exclusive.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The commentary track by Peter Cowie really sheds light on the socio-political undertones of the movie in general and that scene in particular. Or so I read at Glenn Kenny's blog.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I hope by socio-political undertones you mean Alec Baldwin wears a beret and a fake mustache and does a fake French laugh way better than Martin has done for two other movies while rubbing his "bear" chest.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Incandenza said:

Thank you Nancy Meyers for putting that image in my head. And yes now the joke at the Oscars makes sense

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll use this thread to ask this question. Was Kevin Smith really supposed to write/direct a superman movie where superman can't fly, fights a polar bear and a giant spider? I saw that on an evening and didn't know if it was mostly a joke or what.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Mr. Dressup said:
I'll use this thread to ask this question. Was Kevin Smith really supposed to write/direct a superman movie where superman can't fly, fights a polar bear and a giant spider? I saw that on an evening and didn't know if it was mostly a joke or what.

Yes. Kevin Smith was on the project and they wouldn't let him do his thing. They wanted all of those ideas. It was after the Burton Superman where he wanted to "Goth Out" Superman, take away the red and blue, take away the flying, change most major things about the character. Nic Cage was signed on not knowing those, left. Burton dropped it and we got those zany ideas after Smith was backed out. I forget the name of the Producer demanding those things. I just remember he was someone's ex-hairdresser and was so obsessed with the giant mechanical spider that it wound up in Wild, Wild West. I think it was someone here that posted the link to a Superman movie timeline once upon a time which is just a crazy read. The things being proposed were Chris Bridges. And by that I mean,
luda-release-cvr.jpg

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The producer with the giant spider idea was Jon Peters. He was Barbra Streisand's ex hair stylist

after watching the CaddyShack bio a few weeks ago on A & E the guy is fucking insane

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Harrison Ford turned down the role that eventually went to George Clooney in Syriana. Connery turned down Morpheous in Matrix and Gandalf in LOTR.

Also heard something about Winona Ryder being the lead in Shakespeare in Love but Paltrow stole her copy of the script and went behind her back to get the part.

Also, apparently Willem Dafoe has a huge dong.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Will Smith as Neo, as originally planned, might have made the series even more terrible than it ended up being.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Nah man... Will Smith as Neo, Sean Connery as Morpheus, and Jet Li as Agent Smith... if they would of went with that original cast... the movies would of been even better.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KOAB said:
Jet Li as Agent Smith
"Meee-stah An-doh-san!"

I do think Smith > Reaves and Connery > Fishburne, but I don't see that last one.

CBright7831

2016/17 Poster of the Year
Reaction score
After making his escape, Bambi was originally supposed to return and find his mother's body in a pool of blood surrounded by hunting dogs. "Man" was also supposed to be a character in the film. Walt Disney vetoed both of these ideas feeling the less that was seen - the better. However, concept drawings of Bambi's mother getting shot and a few drawings of "Man" (well - his shadow in the forest) still exist and can be seen on the Bambi SE DVD.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tom Cruise supposedly almost got decapitated while filming The Last Samurai. A mechanical horse he was on was supposed to drop when a sword is swung at his head and it didn't. Good for him he was able to react accorsingly and duck in time.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:
Tom Cruise supposedly almost got decapitated while filming The Last Samurai. A mechanical horse he was on was supposed to drop when a sword is swung at his head and it didn't. Good for him he is less than four feet tall.

I shouldhave brought this up when we were talking about Kevin Smith's Superman Lives, but when they were filming Mallrats, everyone involved from the executives on down thought the movie was going to be the second coming. When asked to formulate a sequel, Kevin Smith came up with this concept: Mallrats 2: Die Hard in a Mall.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Mallrats 2: Paul Blart would be horrible in such an amazing way.

I always like looking for the same actors in James Cameron movies. Bill Paxton appears the most, and owes his entire acting career to Cameron, and then Arnold Schwarzenegger, and then Jeanette Goldstein.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bill Paxton: Only actor killed by a Terminator, a Predator, and an Alien.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was he actually killed at the beginning of Terminator? I thought only one of the 3 guys got killed. Lance Henriksen was killed by all three, wasn't he?

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:
Was he actually killed at the beginning of Terminator? I thought only one of the 3 guys got killed. Lance Henriksen was killed by all three, wasn't he?
Two were killed, one was spared. Paxton was the punk who Ahnuld punched through the gut (his debut role).

Odd note: Paxton has appeared in at least 3 movies with Ahnuld - The Terminator (one of the punks that the T-800 demands the clothing from), Commando (the Navy communications officer who demands Matrix leave the area prior to the assault on the island), and True Lies (the con-artist used car salesman who tries to nail Harry's wife). I think he's been in more, but I can't remember any off the top of my head.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:

No, Bishop survived the Alien. The Predator, yeah it got him in AvP but I like to pretend that movie much like Alien3 never happened. In my world, Hicks, Ripley, Newt and Bishop are still floating around waiting for pick up and the two films (AR and A3) are just Newt's nightmares.