Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

ITT it's 2003: Kamala Live Blogs TNA

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Raven just had so much more momentum than either Jarrett or Disco at that time that it felt like they could've done it without the belt. I won't rant about how stupid it was for Jarrett to go over Raven for the billionth time.

In hindsight Gilberti challenging for the title was harmless and inoffensive in the long run. Although I was really pissed at him going over AJ at the time but even that ended up doing nothing to stop AJ's momentum and he ended up winning the belt soon after.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
They also announced on the same show that the next week the winner was defending against Raven and AJ in a triple threat, and it only could've been Jarrett.

Raven needed the belt, but more than anything he shouldn't have lost like a fucking goof. He should've won, full stop, but I do think they could've stretched it to a big rematch in a cage or something. But Raven was never the same after that horrible finish and him winning the title a couple years later was so bittersweet.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Raven losing the big title match, "Destiny" as that show was called, happened because he dragged his feet about signing a contract. It was a perfect storm of bullshit (including the "why book the match at all if he wouldn't commit to longer terms" question, because lulzTNA) that was capped off with exorbitantly lousy booking of the finish.

As in, it still pisses me off. Saturn, Sandman, and Credible were all introduced and given pushes as being just outright tougher than almost anybody else, a little more unhinged and dangerous as a result, and they fucking murder Jarrett in the middle of the ring...only for Double J to kick out at 2 and beat Raven CLEAN with the dumbest finisher of the era.

This was SuperCena levels of bad booking that saw the live crowds immediately start to dwindle.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That's the thing. It wasn't Jarrett winning, it was Raven losing the way he lost. I remember the contract thing and thought at the time he must be leaving because no one would lose like that and stay around. There were a lot of ways to book it so that if Raven did re-sign they could make another big draw out of a rematch. Play into the Triple J stuff or something. Motivated Raven and Jarrett in a cage.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was supposed to be Vader debuting in TNA by interrupting a Vince Russo-Dusty promo off but I feel like that log in screen was just about as entertaining.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
@King Kamala so hungry for my approval he deletes a post I dog him for lol

And hell yes on the Triple J schtick. By the time he really leaned into it by the end of the year, people were so goddamn sick of him and his dominance over the ME that they had to move to Orlando.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn, you can just see Mick doing this while AJ talks

b97.gif

Valeyard

Reaction score
Foley's the one dude I don't mind getting political, honestly. Ever since he got booed in Bush country by in 2004 for making a John Kerry joke and rolled with it, I've not minded. Still don't wanna see it.

I will again take a moment to faintly praise the shell of Mick Foley's TNA run, though.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
I like to think that AJ was trying to prevent the awful Kazarian push of 03-04.

Also, that kind of spot is missing from ladder matches now. Just simple, logical shit that Lynn was a master of incorporating into the go-go-go style.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Those were some legit Home Depot ladders, too. That match holds up really well. Jerry Lynn's whole tenure holds up really well. But that was the first ladder match I remember feel queasy about.

Styles Crash '03 is a key moment for AJ about using his finish and everyone else for how to take his finish. OG gif as well.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I forgot in all of my discussion with @Baby Shoes about upcoming 83 Weeks episodes about the death of WCW that today’s episode is Eric and Conrad discussing the 10th Anniversary of Victory Road 2011!!!

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I mentioned this before but TNA had the tools at least not be totally humiliated when running head-to-head with Raw. Yeah, they couldn't hang but they had a damn decent roster at the time. Bringing in Hogan's lackeys and washed up WWE stars combined with nonsensical booking is what did them in. I mean it was a telling sign that the very first match of the 3-hour show was Homicide being unable to escape their stupid cage.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I definitely agree with 2005 and 2006 being good years you mentioned but there was a good stretch In 2008 being really good. I remember a lot of hype before and after Bound for Glory 2008. 2009 had a good stretch in that limbo period before Hogan toi over and then there was a stretch in like 2012 that I really enjoyed personally as well. If I had to guess, probably from like Destination X through Bound for Glory as BFG 2012 is one of my favorite TNA shows but some of that may be from the fact I was there (and really close to Wes Brisco when he was shown in the crowd)

Valeyard

Reaction score
Rise of Austin Aries was good stuff. TNA listening to the fans after so long was great, even if it was Aries.

I'd argue the post-FSN pre-Spike period when they went dark except for online shows was one of the best times they had. Raven finally getting the belt and doing good matches with Rhino, fresh X and tag divisions. Then the Jarrett reset button happened.