Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn. WCW really did take any WWF castoff.

Also wow at The Pug being the proto Zack Ryder.

Was Hugh Morrus a babyface briefly in 1997? Why is The Pug playing a heel? Just another case of no one bothering to produce a D show match?

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Porteau was decent. It's a shame he was ten years too late.

He's probably a heel because he was fake Rick Steiner in the WWF.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WCW Thunder podcast I listen to was doing their beginning of the Observer notes recaps. Apparently, Terry and Ray Gordy were hanging out backstage, possibly looking for work, at a Thunder taping in September ‘99.

Imagine what type of horrible storylines Russo and Ferrera would have come up with for post stroke Terry Gordy…

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I kind of want to hear more about Scott Hudson’s smark crew.

Hudson was one of the handful of people that seemed to be having lots of fun in ‘99-‘01 WCW. He was excited having gone from being a fan of that crap to being the #2 or 3 announcer in the company at the end.

Hell, Scott Hudson was the one they brought in to do PBP for that stupid Booker T Vs Bagwell match on RAW but I assume that was only cause Tony and Tenay were hard nos to working for Vince.

Valeyard

Reaction score
From what I remember with Tenay, he and JR had heat for some reason or another at the time and that was a strike against him.

Tony showed up to WWF New York at least once, I think after a run or workout or some kind, to angle for a job but wasn't hired.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
The WCW roster for January 1998 was as follows: Bobby Eaton, Sting,
Jack Boot, "Diamond" Dallas Page, "Buff" Bagwell, Steve Regal, "The
Nature Boy" Ric Flair, Stevie Ray, Booker T., Mark Starr, Ray
Traylor, Steve Armstrong, Meng, "Das Wunderkind" Alex Wright,
"Hollywood" Hulk Hogan, Scott Armstrong, Randy "Macho Man" Savage,
Renegade, Eddie Guerrero, "The Crippler" Chris Benoit, "The Man of
1000 Holds" Dean Malenko, Scotty Riggs, "The Total Package" Lex
Luger, Scott "Flash" Norton, The Giant, The Barbarian, Hugh Morrus,
"Flyboy" Rocco Rock, Johnny Grunge, Konnan, Dave Taylor, "Hardwork"
Bobby Walker, Rick Steiner, Scott Steiner, Billy Kidman, Rob Ruckus,
Ken Kaos, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Steve McMichael, Rey Misterio Jr.,
Jim Powers, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Chris Jericho, Juventud Guerrera,
Syxx, Vincent, Psicosis, Roadblock, Rowdy Roddy Piper, La Parka,
Ultimo Dragon, Super Calo, Ray Mandoza Jr., Greg "The Hammer"
Valentine, Jerry Flynn, Mortis, Wrath, Hector Garza, Masahiro Chono,
Yuji Nagata, Joey Maggs, Ernest Miller, Silver King, Damien, Rick
Fuller, Curt Hennig, Raven, Villano V, Texas Hangman #1, Texas
Hangman #2, Brad Armstrong, Lizmark Jr., Perry Saturn, Barry Darsow,
Bill Goldberg, David "Fit" Finlay, Kendall Windham, Barry Horowitz,
El Dandy, Chris Adams, Sick Boy, Bobby Blaze, Louie Spicolli, Lanny
Poffo, Lenny Lane, Johnny Swinger, Norman Smiley, "Hacksaw" Jim
Duggan, Michael Wallstreet, John Nord, Barry Darsow, Van Hammer,
Lodi, Bret "Hitman" Hart, Jim "The Andvil" Neidhart, "The British
Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith, Rick Martell, Marty Jannette,Wayne Bloom,
Mike Enos TOTAL ROSTER: 102

100 guys and you really would have to bring in some guys to fit/fill in the MMA division

Flynn, Finlay, Rick Steiner, VK Wallstreet, Chris Adams, Smiley, Regal, Meng, Dave Taylor, Nagata, Saturn, Ultimo Dragon
Maybe Duggan with the taped fist gimmick? The Armstrongs could adapt to grapple heavy work but they were long time jabronis. Ditto Horowitz.
Goldberg was still in his infancy for better or worse so this would be his division to own.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
tumblr_lzxgbuO1zt1qj38xmo1_500.png

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly forgot Flair was world champion in early 99. He was booked so terribly and was humiliated week after week that forgot he had that run.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
‘00 gets all of the flak for horrible WCW World title runs and rightfully so but I don’t think there was a single good World Title run in ‘99 WCW. At least ‘00 had them establishing Booker T and Scott Steiner as main event guys.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
‘00 gets all of the flak for horrible WCW World title runs and rightfully so but I don’t think there was a single good World Title run in ‘99 WCW. At least ‘00 had them establishing Booker T and Scott Steiner as main event guys.
DDP. At least the first few weeks. Then WCW gonna WCW and he turned heel...which was alright, but fuuuuuuck that title was cursed to turn anyone who held it into an absolute shithead after Goldberg dropped it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bret Hart’s WCW World title run was fine for the first few week…until he turned heel.

Forgotten aspect of the horribleness of Bret Hart’s career ending injury. He was finally going to be the focal point of WCW’s storylines for a sustained period of time. For all of his faults, Vince Russo understood what a big deal Bret was and I think Bret was a good conduit between the Booker T, Kidman, and Radicalz of the world and the main eventers.

Jeff Jarrett, I think, was more or less penciled in to Bret’s spot and no one really enjoyed that (including Jeff Jarrett).

Of course, suffering a career ending head injury is probably a relief from being a focal point of ‘00 WCW storylines.

Bret being healthy doesn’t save WCW and probably doesn’t even extend its life by any significant length but it probably sucks marginally less.

Plus the mental image of Bret feuding then teaming with David Arquette is hilarious.

“Ya know I thought Eight Legged Freaks was a damn good movie.”

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bret's WCW run in my head always gets condensed down to the DDP feud, Ed Dandy, the Benoit match, superkick, and that promo where he went "Let me AXE you a question, Booker!"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Him wrestling wearing a black t shirt, backwards hat, black jorts and skateboarding shoes cause someone stole all of his ring gear while Doug Dillinger was snoozing was a real strong sign of WCW’s decline.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Honestly Bret was never the same when he switched to the black wrist tape. It was the end.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If Bret doesn't get hurt, does he just retire when WCW dies anyway? I doubt Vince brings him in and I don't see him being affordable to any promotion afterwards, let alone willing to travel too far.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bret Hart would definitely do the WWA Australian and European tours. Again, he’d probably be the headliner instead of Jeff Jarrett.

If Bret is healthy, I wonder how that alters trajectory of TNA. Again, a lot of TNA’s appeal was based around Jeff being the biggest name that was available and willing to work a regular schedule for a semi reasonable price. If Bret is an option, maybe he is the one trying to start up a promotion or the one money marks are trying to build around.

Valeyard

Reaction score
See I think he'd do one or two shots for something like WWA but end up not being a fan of the product if he's working them vs appearing on them. I don't think he does XWF because of the Hogan connection and I don't think TNA would pay him, especially considering it would be essentially to always be a number two behind Jarrett no matter what. I can see maybe a couple shots in NJPW but not wanting to be full time, and I don't think AJPW would be his style at that point and he wouldn't have been into NOAH because he didn't like Misawa.

I think if anything he starts another version of Stampede or something in 2002 and doesn't leave Canada too often, but brings in great talent. Probably gets burned by Teddy at least twice.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I could see him doing Sting’s deal with TNA where he makes a small handful of cameo appearances then goes full time with them once they end up on SpikeTV in the mid ‘00s.

At the end of the day though, Bret is too much of a mark and had too much of a weird, misguided sense of respect for Vince not to end up back in WWE in some capacity.

Idk in what capacity but he would want to end his career in WWE. Bret as old, pissed off gunslinger in ‘00s WWE is super fun to imagine.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Sting only agreed to those initial appearances because of loyalty to the Jarretts, though. Bret doesn't have that. He'd want, and deserve, his full price. If anything it might be closer to the attempted Warrior negotiations where he made absurd demands more or less to tell them to fuck off, but if they gave in, cool.

He probably ends up getting the HOF in 2007 and works ROH Wrestlemania weekend or something. Then gets bitter again the next year when he sees the sendoff Flair gets and we don't see him until 2010 when that run actually happens.