Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Mad Men

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is pretty incredible, since the fourth season just premiered yesterday and yet there isn't a single topic on the board that I see for the show.

What did you guys think about the premiere? Thought the new office was pretty sleek, loved Joan coming back, and am really loving Peggy's role in the company. The only downside was that we saw way too much of Betty Draper, who I'm totally fucking sick of by now. I don't know if she was ever intended to be a sympathetic role for women watching the show or what, but she's so annoying, I can't stand her. Bitch is trippin'. Even my girlfriend hates her, and she always takes the chick's side when an on-screen relationship goes sour.

MDH257

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
I think its pretty amazing that they managed to turn Don into the babyface of their break-up.
Thought the episode was good, but there was bound to be a come down from last year's finale. The episode did what was intended, set the table for the season.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I loved the comment that Betty's new mother in-law had about her: "I know why you like her, and you could have gotten that without marrying her," or something like that...

Needs more Roger, more Joan, and more Peggy. Not necessarily in that order.

Cheech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Betty Draper has always acted like a petulant child. The dynamic of the Betty/Don relationship was that while we clearly saw him stepping out all the time, it was clear that deep down he loved his family, while the seemingly sympathetic wife holding things together fantasized about being somewhere else.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't realise until recently that the Drapers live in Ossining, where I live. Thought that was pretty cool

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
His stop on the train is in Ossining, but he actually lives in Westchester. I think they mentioned it in this past episode, as a matter of fact.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TheMoreYouKnow.gif

MDH257

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
I'm suprised by the negative internet response to Sunday night's episode. I thought it was the best of the season, so far. Don and Lane's boys night out was the perfect chaser to the emotion of the L.A. trip.
Loved the Gamera cameo.

Just Burny

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was a particularly strong episode too. Maybe people on the internet were pissed because some sort of a plot appeared to be forming.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
bulb said:
Have that one chick's bomb ass titties been showcased at all this year?

not especially, no.

I thought Sunday's episode was tremendous on several levels. Week 1 was solid, week 2 was better, week 3 was better than that.....I feel like they're really building good momentum.

I'd say I'm surprised that people on the internet were bitching about something, but.....heh. No.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
So far, the only negative reaction I've seen related to this episode has been either: 1) Don coming on to the college chick, or 2) Joan considering having a baby with Doctor Rape. There appears to be a strong sentiment hoping that Greg Harris gets delivered to Vietnam post haste, and KIA just as quickly.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
aw man, peggy didn't get her dyke on, she just made out with some douchebag hipster in a closet, then got all emo over pete and banged her head against a desk

so much promise became so much fail :(

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
just watched Sunday's episode

the "Sterling hates Japs" stuff was a little over the top, but the payoff was pretty good in a roundabout way

the flip of the switch in the child's psych office on Betty was epic

I'm assuming the inevitable reconciliation between her and Don when she gets tired of the pompus windbag she's been banging. Everything this season has been slanted to make you loathe Betty, but they always bring it back to a point where no matter how horrible she acts you can recognize how damaged she is and sympathize with her.

and Sally Draper has been stealing every scene she's in so far. the boy comes off like he's autistic, which will probably become a plotline......blatantly copped from The Shield

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pompous Windbag Henry is arguably a better husband/father than Don. Betty would be better off in the long run staying w/ him than going back to Don.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Although I don't think Matthew Weiner has signed on, yet. He's been offered $30M, which, c'mon Matt, sign the deal already.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah he shouldn't have to compromise the artistic integrity of the show for more money upfront. This also makes no sense to me-
One reason "Mad Men" may not be able to return this year is that AMC may not have an open time slot: The network runs all of its shows on Sundays at 10 p.m., and already has "The Killing" (which debuts Sunday), "Breaking Bad," and "The Walking Dead" set to air this year.
This is so fucking dumb. Why can't AMC air it during a weeknight or at another time slot on Sunday? What's with this "The Killing" shit anyways?

Man, the network is pretty stupid when it comes to how it's handling its shows. First, they hem and haw about renewing Breaking Bad last summer which is arguably one of the best shows on television. Then they announce that the Walking Dead would be taking a full YEAR off and not coming back until Halloween next year. And now this.

Weiner should look at maybe taking his talents to another network, one that'll actually get production up and going and airing in Fall. Cutting six cast members over the next couple years is an absolutely ridiculous demand when one of the strengths of the show is its ensemble.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Vitamin X said:
Yeah he shouldn't have to compromise the artistic integrity of the show for more money upfront. This also makes no sense to me-
One reason "Mad Men" may not be able to return this year is that AMC may not have an open time slot: The network runs all of its shows on Sundays at 10 p.m., and already has "The Killing" (which debuts Sunday), "Breaking Bad," and "The Walking Dead" set to air this year.
This is so fucking dumb. Why can't AMC air it during a weeknight or at another time slot on Sunday? What's with this "The Killing" shit anyways?

Man, the network is pretty stupid when it comes to how it's handling its shows. First, they hem and haw about renewing Breaking Bad last summer which is arguably one of the best shows on television. Then they announce that the Walking Dead would be taking a full YEAR off and not coming back until Halloween next year. And now this.

Weiner should look at maybe taking his talents to another network, one that'll actually get production up and going and airing in Fall. Cutting six cast members over the next couple years is an absolutely ridiculous demand when one of the strengths of the show is its ensemble.

This is how they do all their shows.

The Killing looks pretty awesome, by the way. I just figured that they would air Breaking Bad at 9 and Mad Men at 10, or vice versa. They were able to run Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead and Rubicon last year, so that shouldn't be a problem.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Walking Dead was always slated to come back a year later anyway. That said, they really should've done a full 13 episodes for the first season instead of 6. Word of mouth alone, leading up to the premiere, should've told them it was going to be a runaway hit.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.avclub.com/articles/amc-renews-mad-men-for-two-seasons-signs-threeseas,53962/
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/amc-renews-mad-men-for-2-more-seasons-with-matt-weiner-still-in-charge

-Weiner signs a deal for 3 more seasons, with S7 being the final season of the show
-S5 to start in March 2012
-episodes to be 2 minutes shorter (47 min. to 45 min.), with longer versions going up on video-on-demand services. The premiere & final episodes of S5 will run the 47 minutes, though.
-no cast cuts in S5, but members may be written out if there's a story reason for it (see the much missed Sal & Paul Kinsey)
-product placement may become more "obvious", but "organic to the storyline"