Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Major League Baseball 2024

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Shane Bieber struck out 11 in six shutout innings as the Guardians beat the A's 8-0.

I've been around long enough to remember when, even on Opening Day, a pitcher what that line would keep pitching, but analytics and pitch counts and blah blah blah.

I'm actually not upset he got pulled (the last batter hit one just in front of the track in center) but it's an observation

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn good win for the Red Sox last night. I’m slowly allowing myself to be cautiously optimistic. Eight members of the roster making their MLB debuts last night and there is a lot of potential big league talent in Worcester and Portland.

I’m honestly not as pessimistic about the state of the team as some even though the results long term will probably start showing up in 2025.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Sixto Sanchez appeared in the Marlins’ game yesterday. Injuries kept him out in 2021 and ‘22 and he appeared in only one minor league game last year.

The Giants started Michael Conforto in LF yesterday. That’s their 18th opening day left fielder in 18 years.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
1711833005057.png

Instead of being an inning ending strike 3 that was ball 3 and the Phillies then scored 3 runs.

When do we get the robo umps?

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NL East barring a miraculous Phillies comeback:

Braves:2-0

4 other teams combined: 0-8

Nats won so 1-8

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Still super early and I am hopefully wrong but I regret to inform everyone in this thread that the Yankees look good this year.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With the weather n NY this week Mets/Tigers will surely be postponed tomorrow and Wednesday. And the Tigers home opener is Friday afternoon so a DH on Thursday is not possible. I hate MLB scheduling so much

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not an April Fools Day joke.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2 and 2 so far. The first two games were brutal, but they've looked much better in the last two. Christopher Morel is like a reverse Javy Baez as his bat is amazing, but his defense is very bad to say the least. Still, he's looked amazing at the plate so far.

Shota Imanaga looked fantastic today as well. 9 strikeouts in 6 innings with two hits and no earned runs is a pretty damn good start.

Pitching really worries me with Justin Steele out for a month. I still hope we trade for some help by the deadline.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Think I was being generous saying the .Mets are a 90 loss team

alkeiper

Reaction score
Funny thing is I was streaming mlb.tv using that four screen stream. Had the volume on Royals/O's and then Reds/Phillies. The Astros game was on a screen but it was 10-0 and muted, had no clue a no-hitter was in progress until I woke up this morning.

Two candidates. Jose Jimenez threw a no-hitter with the Cardinals against the Diamondbacks on June 25, 1999. Jimenez was a rookie pitcher with a 6.69 ERA on the season. Second is Bobo Hollomon. First and only MLB season, fifth game, first start. 8.44 ERA in those first four games, opposing batters hit .400 off of him. Hollomon walked five in the game, according to Bill Veeck many balls were hit hard. But 2,473 fans in Sportsmans Park saw a no-hitter.

[E]verything he threw up was belted. And everywhere the ball went, there was a Brownie there to catch it. It was such a hot and humid and heavy night that long fly balls which seemed to be heading out of the park would die and be caught against the fence. Just when Bobo looked as if he was tiring, a shower would sweep across the field, delaying the game long enough for him to get a rest. Allie Clark hit one into the left-field stands that curved foul at the last second. A bunt just rolled foul on the last spin. Our fielding was superb. The game went into the final innings and nobody had got a base hit off Big Bobo. On the final out of the eighth inning, Billy Hunter made an impossible diving stop on a ground ball behind second base and an even more impossible throw. With two out in the ninth, a ground ball was rifled down the first base line — right at our first baseman, Vic Wertz. Big Bobo had pitched the quaintest no-hitter in the history of the game.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last night was the earliest in calendar year that a no hitter has happened. They have happened earlier in the season but back when the season started in mid April.

Before last night, it was Hideo Nomo’s second no hitter, which happened on April 4th, 2001 at Camden Yards against the Orioles. It was second game of the regular season during his only season with the Boston Red Sox.

That might be the most random no hitter from someone who had previously thrown a no hitter. IIRC, Hideo Nomo was considered a one season wonder in MLB at the time. Red Sox fans had waited three years for a Pedro Martinez no hitter or perfect game than some reclamation project does it in his first start for them? Unreal.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the distinction of most unlikely/random no hitter to be pitched by a player with a no hitter already to their name has to be Johnny Vander Meer because the randomness of a no hitter is already difficult but to do it consecutively has to be more improbable than any other repeat no hitter on record.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Vander Meer had one bit of non-randomness to it. It was the first night game at Ebbets Field, so visibility may have been a factor.

Visibility was also an issue when Don Larsen threw his perfect game. But it's little remembered that Larsen had started three days prior, faced ten batters and walked four of them.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Early season weirdness with Garrett Cooper being a single away from hitting the cycle.

Bellinger hitting the scoreboard with a homer while the fans chanted his name was electric.

So glad baseball is back.

Last edited:

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what happened last night, but the Jays/Astros game was really fucking weird tonight. Altuve kicked a ground ball and then later got picked-off thinking of stealing home (?). The Jays were down to their last out and were being shutout again and Davis Schneider hit a 2-run homer off Hader to give them the lead. And then someone on Houston fell down trying to steal 2nd in the bottom of the 9th. And the Jays won somehow.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Early season weirdness with Garrett Cooper being a single away from hitting the cycle.

Bellinger hitting the scoreboard with a homer while the fans chanted his name was electric.

So glad baseball is back.

I‘m with you man, it’s been a great week so far. As maybe this should go in the Posters Who are Washed thread, but another nice part of the pitch clock is almost all of the games end by 12:15-12:30 EST.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I‘m with you man, it’s been a great week so far. As maybe this should go in the Posters Who are Washed thread, but another nice part of the pitch clock is almost all of the games end by 12:15-12:30 EST.
As a Guardians fan watching their team start with seven in Oakland and Seattle, the fact I haven't had to stay up past 12:30 beyond the opener (which was like 12:40 for a 10:07 start) is really nice

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Last night was the earliest in calendar year that a no hitter has happened. They have happened earlier in the season but back when the season started in mid April.

Before last night, it was Hideo Nomo’s second no hitter, which happened on April 4th, 2001 at Camden Yards against the Orioles. It was second game of the regular season during his only season with the Boston Red Sox.

That might be the most random no hitter from someone who had previously thrown a no hitter. IIRC, Hideo Nomo was considered a one season wonder in MLB at the time. Red Sox fans had waited three years for a Pedro Martinez no hitter or perfect game than some reclamation project does it in his first start for them? Unreal.
Nomo was a bit of a journeyman by that point having just pitched with Milwaukee and Detroit and he had flaws to his game, namely his walk rate, which resulted in higher ERAs and being league average at best (ERA+ of 95 from 1997-2001) but found himself again for a couple years when he went back to the Dodgers for 2002 & 2003.

One of those pitchers that never quite lived up to his rookie year but people forget he was already like 27 years old at the time and MLB hitters kind of figured him out pretty quickly.