Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Megalopolis-a film by Francis Ford Coppola

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score

This one's a pretty big deal. He's been trying to get this one made for years (it was originally going to be made in the early 00s, but 9/11 happened and a movie very much about New York was deemed hard to make) and it's apparently a huge swing that studios seem a bit afraid to release (where's someone like Neon when you need them?) Needless to say, I'm interested.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is the most hyped a Francis Ford Coppola movie has been since Bram Stoker's Dracula. I'm really pulling for this comeback.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I don't know what expectations I have. As I understand it the big reluctance from studios currently was about things like marketing and accessibility. I just don't want it to be his Heaven's Gate.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Coppola's longtime producing partner Fred Roos worked on the film. He'll be 90 in a few weeks

Coppola sold his winery to finance the film.

Honestly psyched for this. Hope it doesn't turn into a punchline. Coppola deserves at least one last hit

Staff member
Reaction score
Several sources also felt that Coppola could be "old-school" in his behavior around women. He allegedly pulled women to sit on his lap, for example. And during one bacchanalian nightclub scene being shot for the film, witnesses say, Coppola came on to the set and tried to kiss some of the topless and scantily clad female extras. He apparently claimed he was "trying to get them in the mood."

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Article reads like the sort of thing that comes out in industry rags whenever someone spends a lot of money on something that...might be art. Huge grain of salt with everything therein.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Timing does feel awfully convenient that this article dropped at almost the exact same time as the trailer and took any wind out of the sails for any excitement anyone on the fence about seeing the movie might have had for now.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
If it weren't for this already being a project no one saw money in by the kinds of people who pay to get articles in papers like that, I'd be far more concerned.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Premiered at Cannes, and the general reaction seems mixed, which I expected. The fact it's so divisive certainly has me intrigued (though I've seen comparisons to "Southland Tales", and...I appreciate the swings that movie takes, but I feel like one of the few people left who will tell you it isn't a very good movie.)