Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Playoffs: Round 1

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
Boston has won like 30 NBA titles, Oklahoma football has nothing to do with this.

Hey, I'm just saying that because I've been spurned in other sports my cynical and pessimistic nature is starting to seep into every sport I watch where I expect every team I like to find a way to disappoint me.

Didn't VX say to knock it off? Why are we still discussing this?

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Precious Roy said:
I'll knock it off with the insults,
Okay
I just want to reiterate that
Stop right there.

I don't want to have to resort to starting on suspending people for a couple hours at a time to let cooler heads prevail if need be. I, and I'm pretty sure everyone else, in the Sports folder hates seeing the whole Dama vs. everyone else thing, and it's hardly all on him with shit like this constantly harping on him. Sure he's not helping with responding to you, but both of you need to just drop it when I said to knock it off. Dama complied until you responded. Please have some respect for people around here, even if you can't see eye to eye on the same thing. Fuck.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Bulls would've been better off not making the playoffs. Just my expert analysis

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, I happened to miss the Celtics/Bulls game tonight. And I'm not sure if I'll see game seven on Saturday, as I may be going out to see the Rangers/White Sox game. But what I can say is that this is only good for the Bulls. They are seeing everything they will ever see in a playoff series. The young ones learned that the last twenty seconds of a game is much like a destruction derby. They learned all about needing to save time outs. Well, I'm sure Vinny learned a bit more about that one.Rose is slowly turning into a leader, and has had one of the most eventful rookie seasons that I can think of. It's right up there.

When it comes to Vinny Del Negro, I'm on the fence. He makes you want to strangle him sometimes. I also want to strangle Rose on occasion. But they both make rookie mistakes. I really want to wait it out on Del Negro until next season to see how he responds to his Sophomore season. Rose is a future All-NBA player from what I see of him. And, while he has had so many lottery picks, John Paxson has a pretty good team out there. I really want to see what happens next season. Of course, I expect at least, say, forty-seven wins in order for Vinny to keep the job. However, teams can win despite their coach. I'm sure Czech will hate him no matter what happens, and that is quite entertaining.

And while Salmons and Rose played nearly the entire game, I can live with Kirk blowing the layup. Both of these teams have been killing each other this series, and more than forty minutes on legs that are coming off a big injury earlier in the season can take a toll.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Bulls aren't an inexperienced team. Besides, it's not terribly important what most of them see, because most of this roster will not be playing for the Bulls when they're contenders, nor these coaches be coaching them when they're contenders. Just enjoy the games for what they are with ascribing any sort of meaning to them.

I think Rose has been so good so soon that it's time right now to pull the old "Point B to Point C" line they used to fire Doug Collins (the time they actually fired him, not the time they decided not to hire him) and bring in a real coach. Don't even wait for next year. Just have Doug get up from the broadcasters' table, clock Vinny in the back of the head with a folding chair, and take over Game 7. I mean, Christ, did you listen to this guy when they mic'd up the huddles? Doc Rivers, though no X-and-O genius, is still telling his players what to do with some degree of specificity; then they cut to Vinny who just says "okay guys, let's make a play!" Make a play? Fuck the heck? Then you notice that Joakim Noah is staring at the scoreboard or some broad in a skybox or imaginary flying elves or something that's more important than his coach. Which brings up an interesting dilemma: if Vinny Del Negro is drawing up a play for you, are you better off not knowing how to run it? I don't want the Bulls to win despite their coach, because we as Bulls fans are supposed to deserve better than such a flawed model. Nonetheless, I'm resigned to the fact that we're doomed to a second year of 2 parts Jim Valvano, 2 parts Mike D'Antoni, and 6 parts drinking bird, and a second year of Derrick Rose's talent failing to be maximized, but I guess we're easily dazzled by mediocrity these days, so whatever.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll go on record as being one of those Celtics fans that does not think they can win another title this year...but that sure as hell doesn't stop me from watching every minute of their playoff games and praying for them to win anyways. Without Garnett and Powe they are severely handicapped, but are still a very good team regardless. The Bulls and Celtics have done amazing things in this series and it has to be one of the most enjoyable sports experiences ever.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cartman said:
I'll go on record as being one of those Celtics fans that does not think they can win another title this year...but that sure as hell doesn't stop me from watching every minute of their playoff games and praying for them to win anyways. Without Garnett and Powe they are severely handicapped, but are still a very good team regardless. The Bulls and Celtics have done amazing things in this series and it has to be one of the most enjoyable sports experiences ever.

I'm still watching it an enjoying it. I'm just dreading what I feel is the inevitable against Cleveland because of the losses of KG and Powe and the lack of bench depth. Doesn't mean I'm not going to root for the upset.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
what I feel is the inevitable against Cleveland

Orlando will probably beat them if they manage to win game seven, so there's really no reason to worry about Cleveland.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
All-Rookie teams

1st
Derrick Rose, CHI-----------------29 0 = 58
O.J. Mayo, MEM------------------29 0 = 58
Russell Westbrook, OKC--------24 5 = 53
Brook Lopez, NJ------------------21 7 = 49
Michael Beasley, MIA------------17 10 = 44

2nd
Eric Gordon, LAC---------------13 13 = 39
Kevin Love, MIN-----------------7 20 = 34
Mario Chalmers, MIA-------------5 19 = 29
Marc Gasol, MEM----------------2 21 = 25
D.J. Augustin, CHA--------------0 17 = 17
Rudy Fernandez, POR------------0 17 = 17

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Byron The Bulb said:
Damaramu said:
what I feel is the inevitable against Cleveland

Orlando will probably beat them if they manage to win game seven, so there's really no reason to worry about Cleveland.

What game seven?

Atlanta in 5, it's already been confirmed.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
So is this series just a one time thing for Noah... he's actually playing well and this is the kind of performance in a series that brings forth a terribly high contract. When is his contract up?

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On the books for next year and a team option in 2010-11, so he'll probably have two full years before he gets to look at more money. Darko got 7 million a year ago with comparable regular season stats and minutes, and none of the playoff heroics, so the Bulls are pretty fortunate to have some more time.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
MillenniumMan831 said:
The Cavs will go 16-0 in the 2009 postseason.

Are you serious? I mean I think they'll go to the Finals, but I still think LA takes it in the end over anybody.

MillenniumMan831

Monsoon_Classic
Reaction score
I was joshing. I don't see the Cavs having much of a problem getting to the Finals and if they weren't the CLEVELAND Cavs, I think they'd eek by LA but they're in CLEVELAND, so I'm sure they'll lose Game 7 at home in heart-wrenching fashion.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
MillenniumMan831 said:
I was joshing. I don't see the Cavs having much of a problem getting to the Finals and if they weren't the CLEVELAND Cavs, I think they'd eek by LA but they're in CLEVELAND, so I'm sure they'll lose Game 7 at home in heart-wrenching fashion.

Since Cleveland teams never win championships...

Oh, wait, they don't. Never mind.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know Boston/Chicago, Boston/Chicago is a good friend of mine. This, sir, is no Boston/Chicago.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Man, do I hate Dwayne Wade... just look at him out there. Refs fellate him out there like he's Basketball Jesus and he's way too cocky for my taste.

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
Yea, I haven't enjoyed much of this ATL/MIA series at all and I had hoped the Hawks won tonight because I really did not want to have to sit through a game 7.

M

Matt Young

chchchchchchczech it out said:
Nonetheless, I'm resigned to the fact that we're doomed to a second year of 2 parts Jim Valvano, 2 parts Mike D'Antoni, and 6 parts drinking bird

Not gonna lie... I laughed hjard at the mental image of the drinking bird with Vinny's head on it.

N

naiwf

That was clearly a foul by the floor. Didn't you see how it tripped Wade up?

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Aldridge fouled him with his mind.

The ref's can sense that.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well that was from a few years ago I believe, did that silly BS still go on this season? I remember seeing one of him against the Lakers where he did basically the same thing, but he took a step or two before doing his spin-move then flop.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It couldn't have been from a few years ago. It's likely this season or last. And he's still very much doing that shit still.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
I still like Wade somewhat, since his play reminds me of Ron Harper before he fucked his knee up... but no one is as bad as him when it comes to drawing fouls like that shit.