Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBC's Must See TV

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Still remember Stuttering John showing up on Wings in a cameo in I think one of the later seasons. Someone on the writing staff or one of show runners must have been a Stern fan
There were a few fights about plugging it on the air. Stern just hated NBC almost as much as he did John. That episode isn't bad from what I remember, but it's been over 20 years since it's one of the few that doesn't get streamed.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For my money, he’s one of the top 7 best recurring characters on The Sopranos.
Robert Patrick probably tops my power rankings. Can't believe the T-1000 was able to play such a convincing sad sack down on his luck loser. Tim Daly was great though as Chrissy's sponsor. Also have to have Gloria Trillo on that list.

This is more suited for The Sopranos thread, but it's weird that Christopher McDonald is only in one scene. Use that wonderful man for more than 1 episode David Chase.

Last edited:

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As soon as Tony Shaloub joined until Thomas Haden Church left, Wings was a lowkey GOAT. One of the highlights of the Cheersverse.

The first few seasons are iffy and downright bland most of the time but the show gets into an incredible groove around 93-96. I remember thinking "oh shit this show is legit great now". I don't remember much about the last season and looking it up it looks like it moved to .Wednesdays which I have no recollection of.

It seems like they had a slow build strategy as the first few seasons kinda move like a glacier as I mentioned but once they add the new characters and become more self referential with the writing it starts to rock

Valeyard

Reaction score
The first few seasons are iffy and downright bland most of the time but the show gets into an incredible groove around 93-96. I remember thinking "oh shit this show is legit great now". I don't remember much about the last season and looking it up it looks like it moved to .Wednesdays which I have no recollection of.

It seems like they had a slow build strategy as the first few seasons kinda move like a glacier as I mentioned but once they add the new characters and become more self referential with the writing it starts to rock

It got really good around season three. Suddenly it felt more like a 90s show than a late 80s one visually. The Joe and Helen breakup was very needed and gave them both a lot of development. Antonio added a lot, as well, and the greencard marriage two-parter was pretty good. The shows where the Hacketts visit their childhood home, Frasier and Lilith come to the island, and the first Carlton Blanchard appearance alone make it a great one.

1-2 are fine but just significantly mixed. Third is a big step forward with some classics. 4-7 are the straight peak. 8 is a drastic step down and show should've ended earlier.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Demond Wilson (somewhat literal?) shoot interview is a great omen for 2024.

Hmm. Maybe if I created a pre ‘80s NBC thread, I’d have a better shot at Brody’s POTY tournament.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That A Different World thing sounds like a blast. Saw people thirsting over Glynn Turman for some reason. I just wish they'd reached out to Marisa Tomei, because come on.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Excluding sequels/prequels/spinoffs/etc., was the first-ever shared "cinematic universe" created with Friends and Mad About You?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Norman Lear did it earlier. Had to be some way earlier than that though.
Which Norman Lear shows would you be referring to? Because I already dismissed All in the Family/The Jeffersons as falling under my 'spinoff' exception.

I also consider The Andy Griffith Show/Gomer Pyle, USMC and Happy Days/Laverne and Shirley/Mork and Mindy as falling under the same exception.

Valeyard

Reaction score
All In the Family, Jeffersons, Maude, Good Times, Gloria, and Fresh Prince are in the same universe.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Also the Golden Girls/Empty Nest/Nurses/Blossomverse came before any Paul Reiser bullshit.

Valeyard

Reaction score
And if you REALLY wanna go ham, the Tommyverse.

Valeyard

Reaction score
And if you REALLY wanna go ham, the Tommyverse.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
All In the Family, Jeffersons, Maude, Good Times, Gloria, and Fresh Prince are in the same universe.
Jeffersons, Maude, Good Times and Gloria are all spinoffs of AITF. Fresh Prince would make that example count, but I need to see proof of that.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Also the Golden Girls/Empty Nest/Nurses/Blossomverse came before any Paul Reiser bullshit.
Is there any particular reason you guys are no-selling the "no spinoffs" qualifier? Like, Blossom would make that count, but when did we see evidence of that?

EDIT - Never mind, found the connection.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's a stupid disqualifier to have "no spinoffs." It's TV. That's chiefly how the expansion works. John Munch rules a lot of shows but if spinoffs disqualify it, what's the point? Happy Days and the spinoffs make sense as a disqualification because they never crossed over once the characters in question left or in other shows. Can't be said for everything else.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I didn't ask you your opinion of the qualifier. I asked you to honor it. If you don't want to do that, fine; you don't have to answer the question, either.