Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NFL Draft 2024 - 4/25 to 4/27

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually don't start this thread so early but players are quickly declaring themselves eligible. Some notable names already include QB Spencer Rattler, RB Braelon Allen, RB Frank Gore Jr, RB MarShawn Lloyd, WR Johnny Wilson, and LB Jeremiah Trotter Jr.

A lot of the focus will be on the top tier QBs - Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix and WR Marvin Harrison Jr but the RB class offers some intriguing names and talent. Jonathan Brooks (Texas), Trey Benson (FSU), Blake Corum (Michigan) are widely considered the top 3.

QB Rankings - 17 Players
RB Rankings - 29 Players
WR Rankings - 38 Players

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
QB Cam Ward (Washington State) has potentially declared while RB Kendall Milton (Georgia) & RB Jabari Small (Tennessee) have declared for the NFL Draft.

Other announcements: QB Joe Milton III (Tennessee), RB Austin Jones (USC), RB Carson Steele (UCLA), WR Keon Coleman (Florida State), WR Sam Pinckney III (Coastal Carolina), WR Tahj Washington (USC), OT Amarius Mims (Georgia), OT Spencer Rolland (North Carolina), OG Christian Mahogany (Boston College), C Andrew Carter (Weber State), C Matt Cindric (California), DE Solomon Byrd (USC), DE Adisa Isaac (Penn State), DT Mike Hall Jr. (Ohio State), DT Kennedy Roberts (Coastal Carolina), LB K.J. Cloyd (Miami), LB Kalen DeLoach (Florida State), CB Jarvis Brownlee (Louisville), CB Kalen King (Penn State), CB Kamari Lassiter (Georgia), CB Ennis Rakestraw (Missouri), S Javon Bullard (Georgia), S Tykee Smith (Georgia), S Max Williams (USC), K Alex Hale (Oklahoma State)

82 underclassmen declared for the 2023 NFL Draft for reference so we're quickly seeing a lot of declarations.

A little old but this chart from the NY Times illustrates how rare it is for most underclassmen to be Top 10 picks.

2021UnderclassmenNFL.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley's 2024 QB Rankings
For me, at the NFL level, you need to still be able to throw from the pocket. Guys who point to Mahomes or Rodgers overlook that their college tape showcased a ton of pass plays they made within a collapsing pocket where they kept their eyes downfield to throw. Poise matters. Those two also average 15-20 rushing YPG a season, much closer to the Elways/Youngs/Tarkentons/Staubachs of NFL history.

Lamar was incredibly underrated as a pocket QB coming out IMO. That's what separated him from the Mike Vick comparisons in my eyes. I'll always look at the pocket passing ability first because that's what matters in the NFL.

I've come around that arm strength should be a bigger factor than I used to think but I'm not going to go ga-ga over Zach Wilson or Matt Stafford just because they have strong arms. With that said, the Mac Jones/Bryce Young types will be lower ranked as a result.

1: Caleb Williams (USC) 6'1" 218. Patrick Mahomes 2.0. Tough in pocket. Can play within system/pocket. Prone to Russell Wilson eyes on the rush when scrambling. Far, far, far, and away is the #1 for me and it's not even close. 1x01 Chicago
2: Michael Penix Jr (Washington) 6'2" 216. Not as athletic as JD but love his pocket poise. Stronger arm, and a better pocket QB in my opinion. 1x08 Atlanta
3: Jayden Daniels (LSU). Crazy accurate. Can make all the throws in the NFL. Tucks & runs at pressure, and doesn't even feign to keep his eyes downfield. Justin Fields vibes if he's drafted by a poor team with no talent around. Can he win from the pocket in the NFL? Wasn't big on him last year, gut feeling is I have him so high because I don't like the guys behind him as much, not that I like him so much more. 1x02 Washington
4: JJ McCarthy (Michigan) 6'3" 219. Live arm and varies touch on throws. Good accuracy out of the pocket. Tends to trust his receivers to bail him out on contested throws. Prone to holding the ball too long. 1x10 Minnesota
5: Drake Maye (North Carolina) 6'4" 223. His strength is he sees it/throws it, and gets the ball out quickly. The ball floats when he throws deep. Matt Leinart would be my comp. Very good college QB but does he have the necessary traits to stick in the NFL? I'd be fine taking him in the 2nd or 3rd Round. 1x03 New England
6: Michael Pratt (Tulane) 6'2" 217. Tough in the pocket, and will take a shot. Best touch on deep throws in the class. I'll always boost a guy who has an elite single trait like that. Looks short. I'm way higher on him than probably anybody else. 7x245 Green Bay
7: Spencer Rattler (South Carolina) 6'0" 211. Pocket presence is so-so at times but he's always stepping up & keeping eyes downfield. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. His arm strength is adequate but flashes touch/quickness throwing. I was higher on him last year but I still think he could be the best in this class if he gets the right coach/system. 5x150 New Orleans
8: Bo Nix (Oregon) 6'2" 214. Still don't like him. Can run ala Danny Dimes but checks it down too often if his 1st read isn't there. Does flash an NFL-level arm so I can see the appealing potential. System makes him such a hard QB to evaluate though, all projection and potential. 1x12 Denver
9: Jordan Travis (Florida State) 6'1" 200. May have the quickest release in the class. Makes dumb decisions, and will run literally straight backward when pressured. Can't do that in the NFL. Injury will likely drop him to UDFA but this ranking is assuming full health in a year while in the NFL. 5x171 NY Jets
10: Garrett Shrader (Syracuse). Low round version of Bo Nix, IMO. Tends to tuck & run but has Danny Dimes level legit speed. Pocket presence awareness is so-so. If I wanted Bo Nix, I'd just take Shrader as a 7th Round/UDFA instead.
11: Jack Plummer (Louisville). 80s/early 90s throwback QB with his size and pocket presence. Intriguing arm with some touch. Could get a backup shot. Sleeper. UDFA - Carolina
12: Austin Reed (Western Kentucky) 6'2" 220. Good touch. Flashes an arm at times. I liked Bailey Zappe more. UDFA - Chicago
13: Kedon Slovis (BYU) 6'3" 223. Played at multiple colleges. Can make throws at the NFL level but never jumped off the tape. Backup vibes. More name than game. UDFA - Indianapolis
14: Joe Milton III (Tennessee) 6'5" 235. Strikes me as a slow processor. Has an arm but Hooker was way better. Gives me Dwayne Haskins vibes. 6x193 New England
15: Michael Hiers (Samford). Solid enough arm. Could latch on as a backup.
16: Sam Hartman (Notre Dame) 6'1" 211. Holds the ball forever. Average arm. Backup in the NFL at best. UDFA - Washington
17: Davius Richards (NC Central). Short but thickly built. Could stick in WCO as a 3rd string backup. Rhythm passer is his strength.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley's RB Rankings
1: Trey Benson (Florida State) 6'0" 216 3x66 Arizona
2: MarShawn Lloyd (USC). 5'9" 220 Legit speed. Shown willingness to run inside the tackles. 3x88 Green Bay
3: Blake Corum (Michigan) 5'8" 205 3x83 LA Rams
4: Jase McClellan (Alabama) 5'10" 221 6x186 Atlanta
5: Jonathon Brooks (Texas). 6'0" 216 Good, but not my kind of RB though. Builds up to speed, too much of a straight-line guy. 2x46 Carolina
6: Audric Esteme (Notre Dame) 5'11" 221 5x147 Denver
7: Cody Schrader (Missouri) 5'8" 202 UDFA - San Francisco
8: Jabari Small (Tennessee) UDFA - Tennessee
9: Bucky Irving (Oregon) 5'9" 192 4x125 Tampa Bay
10: Frank Gore Jr (Southern Miss) 5'7" 201 UDFA - Buffalo
11: Will Shipley (Clemson) 5'11" 206 4x127 Philadelphia
12: Braelon Allen (Wisconsin) 6'1" 235 4x134 NY Jets
13: Jaden Shirden (Monmouth) 5'8" 187 UDFA - Carolina
14: Ray Davis (Kentucky) 5'8" 211 4x128 Buffalo
15: Jaylen Wright (Tennessee) 5'10" 210 4x120 Miami
16: Dylan Laube (New Hampshire) 5'10" 206 6x208 Las Vegas
17: Emani Bailey (TCU) 5'7" 202 UDFA - Kansas City
18: Jahwar Jordan (Louisville) 5'9" 193 6x205 Houston
19: Dillon Johnson (Washington) 6'0" 218 UDFA - Seattle
20: Isaiah Davis (South Dakota State) 6'0" 218 5x173 NY Jets
21: Dylan McDuffie (Kansas)
22: Kendall Milton (Georgia) 6'1" 225 UDFA - Philadelphia
23: Austin Jones (USC) UDFA - Washington
24: Miyan Williams (Ohio State) 5'8" 229
25: Keilan Robinson (Texas) 5'8" 191 5x167 Jacksonville
26: Cam Skattebo (Arizona State)
27: Kimani Vidal (Troy) 5'8" 213 6x181 LA Chargers
28: Nakia Watson (Washington State) UDFA - NY Giants
29: Rasheen Ali (Marshall) 5'11" 206 5x165 Baltimore

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley's WR Rankings
01: Marvin Harrison Jr (Ohio State) 6'3" 209 1x4 Arizona
02: Malik Nabers (LSU) 1x6 NY Giants
03: Keon Coleman (Florida State) 6'3" 213 2x33 Buffalo
04: Xavier Worthy (Texas) 5'11" 165 1x28 Kansas City
05: Xavier Legette (South Carolina) 6'1" 221 1x32 Carolina
06: Rome Odunze (Washington) 6'3" 212 1x9 Chicago
07: Brian Thomas Jr (LSU) 6'3" 209 1x23 Jacksonville
08: Ainias Smith (Texas A&M) 5'9" 190 5x152 Philadelphia
09: Adonai Mitchell (Texas) 6'2" 205 2x52 Indianapolis
10: Troy Franklin (Oregon) 6'2" 176 4x102 Denver
11: Jacob Cowing (Arizona) 5'8" 168 4x135 San Francisco
12: Malachi Corley (Western Kentucky) 3x65 NY Jets
13: Brenden Rice (USC) 6'2" 208 7x225 LA Chargers
14: Ja’Lynn Polk (Washington) 6'1" 203 2x37 New England
15: Jermaine Burton (Alabama) 6'0" 196 3x80 Cincinnati
16: Jha'Quan Jackson (Tulane) 5'9" 188 6x182 Tennessee
17: Devontez Walker (North Carolina) 6'1" 193 4x113 Baltimore
18: Javon Baker (UCF) 6'1" 202 4x110 New England
19: Ladd McConkey (Georgia) 6'0" 186 2x34 LA Chargers
20: Ricky Pearsall (Florida) 6'1" 189 1x31 San Francisco
21: Roman Wilson (Michigan) 5'11" 185 3x84 Pittsburgh
22: Tahj Washington (USC) 5'10" 174 7x241 Miami
23: Jalen McMillan (Washington) 6'1" 197 3x92 Tampa Bay
24: Luke McCaffrey (Rice) 6'2" 198 3x100 Washington
25: Isaiah Williams (Illinois) 5'9" 182 UDFA - Detroit
26: Malik Washington (Virginia) 5'8" 191 6x184 Miami
27: Johnny Wilson (Florida State) 6'6" 231 6x185 Philadelphia
28: De'Corian Clark (UTSA)
29: Tayvion Robinson (Kentucky) 5'10" 191 UDFA - Baltimore
30: Jeshaun Jones (Maryland) UDFA - Minnesota
31: Jamari Thrash (Louisville) 6'0" 188 5x156 Cleveland
32: Cornelius Johnson (Michigan) 6'3" 212 7x253 LA Chargers
33: Jordan Whittington (Texas) 6'1" 205 6x213 LA Rams
34: Jaxon Janke (South Dakota State) UDFA - Houston
35: Devaughn Vele (Utah) 6'4" 203 7x235 Denver
36: Xavier Weaver (Colorado) 6'0" 169 UDFA - Arizona
37: Zhakari Franklin (Ole Miss)
38: Jalen Coker (Holy Cross) 6'1" 208 UDFA - Carolina

Last edited:

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How many of those WR’s do you think have 1st round grades HQ?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So HQ, I take it if you were the Patriots GM and Caleb Williams isn’t available, you take Marvin Harrison Jr or Joe Alt with the #3 pick (or trade down for more picks?) then take a QB with the 34th pick?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
How many of those WR’s do you think have 1st round grades HQ?
I'd say probably 8-10 depending on the scheme fit. There's at least 5: Harrison, Nabers, Coleman, Worthy, Odunze are "1st Round" grade locks. That doesn't mean they'll be drafted in the 1st Round though. You can see a real shift in the # taken starting in 2020 especially as teams realize how important a stud WR can be and how NFL-ready WRs are nowadays as NFL offenses incorporate more Air Raid/RPO/Spread route concepts.

2022: 6 WR
2021: 5 WR
2020: 6 WR
2019: 2 WR (I would've given Deebo, A.J. Brown, D.K. Metcalf 1st Round grades and they inexplicably fell to Round 2. Weird year tbh)
2018: 2 WR
2017: 3 WR

"So HQ, I take it if you were the Patriots GM and Caleb Williams isn’t available, you take Marvin Harrison Jr or Joe Alt with the #3 pick (or trade down for more picks?) then take a QB with the 34th pick?"

I'd take Harrison Jr and take a chance on a Penix Jr/JJ McCarthy in the 2nd Round if they fell. If I can't get one of the top 4 QBs... I'd rather just roll with Zappe and take a later flier on a Michael Pratt or Spencer Rattler tbh but that'd be a throwback to the Belichick style of drafting.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There’s also free agency. I doubt New England is in serious contention for Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield but even a stopgap QB like Gardiner Minshew or Jacoby Brissett would be a vast improvement over what we had last year.

I hate the Patriots fan argument “What’s the use of an elite wide receiver if we don’t have anyone to throw him the ball?”

Well, what’s the use of an elite quarterback if we don’t have anyone for him to throw the ball to? Patriots are so talent deprived on offense that I’d just like them to take best player available at #3 regardless of position.

I’m not even that sour on the idea of them trading down for more picks or using it to pick an offensive tackle. Anything is better thing than nothing!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I will say that if I'm Kliff Kingsbury in Washington, Jacob Cowing is tailor-made for his offensive system, as a slot WR. A lot of people (including myself) like to go, "X Player is Wes Welker," as a comparison but Cowing is the 1st legitimate slot WR I've seen that could match Welker's ability to instantly get to speed off the LOS and get open on an option route in a 3-5 yard window.

A lot of the slot WRs in college would get schemed open somehow (think Shallow Crosses or releases towards the sideline with the X/Z clearing out) but Cowing has perfected that Welker-esque get upfield, make the quick decision, and be open for 2-4 steps before the defender knows WTF happened.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Added 10 RBs to my rankings so that's up to 29 RBs now. Jaden Shirden and Dylan Laube are the most notable additions, slotting in the high teens area.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
WR Ainias Smith, a guy I'm high on, was revealed to have a stress fracture in his left shin at the NFL Combine. That could bump him from the 4th/5th Round to a 6th/7th Round selection instead. Full recovery can take 1-3 Months so he should be ready by the pre-season at least.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
We are just a week away so here's my Mock Draft. I could see some trade downs within the first 7 picks but they also all have needs/quality at their spots that I could see the majority sticking there too. Minnesota reaching for Penix Jr would probably force a team like the Giants or another early to mid 2nd Round team to move up to snag their QB, thus the selection of Bo Nix.

There's a lot of OL selections but that's been pretty common: 5 in 2023, 9 in 2022, 5 in 2021, 7 in 2020. I also think the 12 - 20 area is by far the most interesting part of the 1st Round. Depending on how teams see the remaining players and who they select, certain prospects could tumble towards the late 1st (see Verse, Chop Robinson, McKinstry here) or late 1st/early 2nd Round players could see a boost and get taken higher than expected (see Micah Parsons in 2021, WR Jahan Dotson in 2022, RB Jahmyr Gibbs last year).

1: Chicago - QB Caleb Williams
2: Washington - QB Jayden Daniels
3: New England - QB Drake Maye
4: Arizona - WR Marvin Harrison Jr
5: LA Chargers - OT Joe Ault
6: NY Giants - WR Malik Nabers
7: Tennessee - OT Olumuyiwa Fashanu
*TRADE* 8: Atlanta Denver - QB J.J. McCarthy
9: Chicago - TE Brock Bowers
10: NY Jets - WR Rome Odunze
11: Minnesota - CB Terrion Arnold
*TRADE* 12: Denver Atlanta - DE Dallas Turner
13: Las Vegas - OT Taliese Fuaga
14: New Orleans - DE Laiatu Latu
15: Indianapolis - CB Quinyon Mitchell
16: Seattle - OT Troy Fautanu
17: Jacksonville - WR Brian Thomas Jr
18: Cincinnati - DT Byron Murphy II
19: LA Rams - DE Jared Verse
20: Pittsburgh - OT Amarius Mims
21: Miami - DT Johnny Newton
22: Philadelphia - CB/S Cooper DeJean
23: Minnesota - QB Michael Penix Jr
24: Dallas - OT JC Latham
25: Green Bay - DE/LB Chop Robinson

*TRADE* 26: Tampa Bay New England - WR Xavier Worthy
27: Arizona - CB Kool-Aid McKinstry
28: Buffalo - WR Adonai Mitchell
*TRADE* 29: Detroit NY Giants - QB Bo Nix
30: Baltimore - OG/C Graham Barton
31: San Francisco - OT Tyler Guyton
32: Kansas City - WR Keon Coleman

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bill Tobin passed today and while he had success as a GM and his son is doing the same for Cincinnati, I would like to remind us all of his unquestioned legacy.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Good little read about the Jimmy Johnson Trade Chart... https://sports.yahoo.com/the-chart-...glaring-flaw-it-isnt-very-good-134240503.html

"Baltimore Ravens GM Eric DeCosta recently summarized the philosophy: “Teams should always trade back and acquire picks, and never trade up. You should always accumulate, because the draft is basically a luck-driven process,” he told former Atlanta Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff. “If you have 10 or 12 draft picks in any given year, even if you suck at drafting, you’re probably gonna hit on five or six picks.”

The above quote tends to tie into my own beliefs. I'd rather play the odds and take a swing at 9+ picks hoping I can get a home run, a couple doubles, and several singles in each draft class. I think it's a large reason why Baltimore has had sustained success (along with a fantastic scouting team/coaching staff). 2023 = 6 Picks; 2022 = 11 Picks; 2021 = 8 Picks; 2020 = 10 Picks; 2019 = 8 Picks. Worth noting that generally they take the majority of their picks in the 3rd and 4th Rounds. This year they are going in with 9 picks including 4 from 93 to 165.

“The problem with using your own modified chart, an adjusted chart — which is probably exponentially more effective than the first chart that was out there — there was no synchronicity,” Dimitroff said last year. It was as if teams were “talking two different languages,” he explained, so they’d end up “folding back into the traditional chart.”

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
This is worth highlighting as we usually see players fall from the 2nd/3rd Round projection to the 6th or 7th Round for "unknown" reasons to fans. Sweat was notably arrested for DWI earlier this month with details noting he was also involved in a crash at the time of arrest.

Via WalterFootball and Charlie Campbell

"Other prospects have had major character issues that have really hurt them with NFL teams. Some NFL sources said their teams had dropped Ohio State defensive tackle Michael Hall Jr., Alabama wide receiver Jermaine Burton and Texas defensive tackle T’Vondre Sweat off their draft boards because of character. All three have early-round skill sets, but each could slide in the 2024 NFL Draft because of character problems."

"A couple of weeks ago at the 2024 NFL Scouting Combine, a survey of team sources had UCLA’s Laiatu Latu as the consensus second-rated pass rusher for the 2024 NFL Draft, behind only Alabama’s Dallas Turner. Most teams said based on the film and skill set, they had rated Latu ahead of Florida State’s Jared Verse and thought Latu was worthy of going as a top-20 pick based on the film. However, they all noted there were medical concerns around Latu that could cause him to slide lower and see Verse selected before him. Multiple team sources said they think it’s possible that Latu will slip to Round 2 of the 2024 NFL Draft because of the medical concerns. With the Washington Huskies, a neck injury that cost Latu the 2020 and 2021 seasons was enough that the program encouraged him to retire. Latu entered the transfer portal instead, and ended up landing at UCLA."

We've seen in the past players dropping due to injuries and medical concerns. Da'Quan Bowers infamously fell to the 2nd Round after many thought he'd be a potential Top 10 pick and lasted just 5 seasons with 7 career sacks. Leighton Vander Esch went 19th overall but only played for 6 seasons and had 1 full season starting 16 games despite being productive. Mark Herzlich beat cancer in college and was expected to be at least a 2nd or 3rd Round pick and he ended up going undrafted but played 6 seasons as a productive role player.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sorry for anyone anticipating my hot takes tonight (nobody) but I won’t be around. Going to Game 3 tonight seemed like a better use of my time.
We'll have to get your takes on Michael Penix Bo Nix, Las Vegas Raider, later.

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t have picked Bowers but I can imagine five years from now seeing him as an All Pro and thinking we were fucking idiots for not taking him. And I was hoping to fuck that the Chargers didn’t get him.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Chicago Bears offense doesn't look bad for once!

QB Caleb Williams
WR DJ Moore
WR Keenan Allen
WR Rome Odunze
TE Cole Kmet
RB D'Andre Swift
RB Khalil Herbert
RB Roschon Johnson