Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Superstar Billy Graham's act absolutely does not hold up and guys since have pulled it off better. Kung Fu Superstar is untouched.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
He's one of my favorite Dusty foils.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Graham's prime was short due to, as Brody mentioned, how hard he worked & the steroid use. But those few years of prime Superstar were great and still hold up just fine today.

And he gets credit for being influential. And his influence on others who followed (Hogan, Ventura, Steiner, etc) makes Graham's own inspiration, Gorgeous George, even more important.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Graham's prime was short due to, as Brody mentioned, how hard he worked & the steroid use. But those few years of prime Superstar were great and still hold up just fine today.

And he gets credit for being influential. And his influence on others who followed (Hogan, Ventura, Steiner, etc) makes Graham's own inspiration, Gorgeous George, even more important.

I'm saying the act itself doesn't hold up because of guys like Hogan, Jesse, and Steiner improving on it over time. I appreciate the impact, but it doesn't feel special anymore. That being said it really is a breath of fresh air for the WWWF shows.

His work was great. Superstar worked smart.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm in love with Barbara Clary.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh man that reminds me that Bruno/Vince v Jesse/Danny Davis was originally on the books for WM 3 apparently

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh man that reminds me that Bruno/Vince v Jesse/Danny Davis was originally on the books for WM 3 apparently
Before WM 2, the WWF supposedly penciled in T vs Piper in a cage for Mania 3 to finish the feud. Once Piper turned face, there were rumors that Piper would take T as his partner against Adonis/Orton at Mania 3. Dave reported that in Nov 86, along with noting Hogan vs Mr Wonderful was likely the Mania headliner.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
When did the business change from long-term babyface champions, with transitional heel champions, to the inverse? Did that all start with Triple H?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
You broke my AWA brain.

Gagne and Brunzell were basically the undersized pretty boy tag team (yes, old women still tell me how "hot" Greg Gagne was every now and then) in a sea of monsters. For every Billy Robinson, there were 12 Bull Bullinskis (one of my favorite Wrasslin' names)
Where the fuck do you live, that people are still bringing up Greg Gagne in conversation, for any reason, at all?

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was the norm in the NWA going back to the 70s at least. AWA with Bockwinkel 70s/80s.

The first in WWF was probably Yokozuna.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
In terms of chronology, sure, stipulated. But Yoko was pretty much the exception that "proves" the "rule." I'm more asking when it became the norm.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how to answer that then. Babyface Cena spent so much time as champion the last 15 years that I'm not sure if it's been normal.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Okay, so if I spot you Cena and Michaels, how many other babyface champions in the last 25 years would you guess have had an unbroken 6-month+ title reign, without turning heel? I'll even let you have Kofi, even though his reign might just barely be exactly six months? 'Cause you keyed in on Cena, and I'm wondering if Cena's run may be causing a blind spot to the long-ish champions who were not Cena?

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
The wrestling business essentially started with champion wrestlers egging on the crowd to challenge them. Or convincing the local rubes that their local challenger had a chance. The long-term heel champion has been a business model since the 19th century.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Holy shit Bob Caudle is still alive.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Here's an unpublished column originally written to advocate for Bam Bam Bigelow's place in the WWE HOF. Enjoy!

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'd kill to find video of the Ray Stevens and Pepper Gomez Cast Iron Stomach angle from the Bay Area. Been kind of a while whale for me for 25 years.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Where the fuck do you live, that people are still bringing up Greg Gagne in conversation, for any reason, at all?

I am in Green Bay, and since I am a giant nerd, we talk about wrasslin' in the break room, so once in a great while one of the older people will ask about an AWA guy.

We have a 72 year old Vietnam vet who loves him some racist Col Debeers for instance.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Similarly, I can attest you can get anyone between the ages of 45 and 60 in the Northeast riled up if you bring up Chief Jay Strongbow or Haystacks Calhoun.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Huh. Now I'm wondering if I can get old timers here to talk about Buddy Rose and Billy Jerk Haynes.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I am in Green Bay, and since I am a giant nerd, we talk about wrasslin' in the break room, so once in a great while one of the older people will ask about an AWA guy.

We have a 72 year old Vietnam vet who loves him some racist Col Debeers for instance.
If it's not too personal, what do you do for a living, that you feel comfortable talking about wrasslin with your coworkers?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself a "closet case" wrasslin' fan. Everybody I know and work with knows that I like wrasslin', they're just not willing to indulge me by engaging in a conversation about it.